The Tomatoes

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

The Tomatoes

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I thought some of you might dig The Tomatoes – particularly those of you more into music at the garage, punk, rock end of the spectrum. Some of you may recognize George (on bass) from the Soul Asylum crew. He is one of the guitar techs, although he generally doesn't work the Midwest shows.

When I heard about his band, I promptly investigated by checking out a few MP3s online and I liked what I heard so I immediately got my hands on the CDs. They have two records out -- The Rise and Fall of the Tomatoes and Trendy – plus I understand there is another one in the works. The first record blends classic garage punk with some metal inflections. The second still rocks, but it has more quirky retro pop touches.

Here are a couple of videos you can check out:

Skinny Ties and All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=511ij81OeVU

I Gotta Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0NC6lGNgGQ

The Tomatoes are based in New Orleans and opened for Soul Asylum at the Baton Rouge show last spring, which I sadly did not get to see. I was hoping they might open at some other shows because I'd love to catch them live.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

I happen to LOVE tomatoes.
I love tomato juice and tomato sauce and tomato paste and especially veggie bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches but wow...NOTHING beats Tomato MUSIC!! These guys just destroy! I'm really digging the sound of Skinny Ties.
Great noisy stuff.

:D

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Tomatoes

Post by pathorses »

I really like this band, too!! I don't have the CDs yet but I really like the songs I've listened to online. I might have to make a purchase....

(Personally, I love fresh tomato sandwiches)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Cool! Glad you guys like the band!

Just realized I should probably have included this:

http://www.myspace.com/thetomatoes

Dave co-produced the song "She Wore a Yellow Gas Mask," which is not actually one of my favorites (despite the stellar production :wink:).
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: The Tomatoes

Post by norma023 »

however you like them and however you want to pronounce it, but I heard they have a gig on Dec 4th in MPLS, is anyone going ??

:mrgreen:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

norma023 wrote:however you like them and however you want to pronounce it, but I heard they have a gig on Dec 4th in MPLS, is anyone going ??

:mrgreen:
Only in my dreams.......have fun and tell me all about it!
Pat

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Thanks for the preview! Can't wait!

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

yay! Go Tomatoes! Nice Tom Robbins reference (I am assuming) in Skinny Ties and All too!

Have fun at the show Judith and everyone else who gets to be there!