Fastball

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Fastball

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

According to yahoo, Fastball is similar to Soul Asylum. I don't know if they're correct, but I do listen to both bands. I was just wondering if anyone else on this site has even heard of them. No one at my school have heard of them, except my friends who I forced to listen to them, and as soon as school starts again in less than two weeks I'll have them listening to Soul Asylum(only two of my friends actually bother to listen to music when I send it to them and another refuses to believe that I don't listen to scream music, which I don't.).
By the way, it took me awhile to actually make an account on here and it took me awhile to even want to make this subject. I really wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything else to say, so if you could just humor me for now, that'd be great. (If you hadn't guessed already, this is my first fan site and I don't use myspace, facebook, etc.)
Also, my name's Nicole, if you want to call me by my first name.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: Fastball

Post by Twiddly Dee »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:According to yahoo, Fastball is similar to Soul Asylum. I don't know if they're correct, but I do listen to both bands. I was just wondering if anyone else on this site has even heard of them. No one at my school have heard of them, except my friends who I forced to listen to them, and as soon as school starts again in less than two weeks I'll have them listening to Soul Asylum(only two of my friends actually bother to listen to music when I send it to them and another refuses to believe that I don't listen to scream music, which I don't.).
By the way, it took me awhile to actually make an account on here and it took me awhile to even want to make this subject. I really wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything else to say, so if you could just humor me for now, that'd be great. (If you hadn't guessed already, this is my first fan site and I don't use myspace, facebook, etc.)
Also, my name's Nicole, if you want to call me by my first name.
I like a few of Fastball's song, as being similiar to Soul Asylum, maybe to some people but not to me. Fastball doesn't hold my attention like Soul Asylum does!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

I didn't think so either. When I think of Fastball I think of love songs and some morbid songs(mostly by Miles Zuniga, like Slow Drag). I never think of those things when I think about Soul Asylum. For some reason, I think of math homework. Maybe because it's my favorite subject, but I really don't know why.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Hey Nicole, welcome to the minority!

Forgive me if I say that you kinda remind me in my High School days, although there is no Soul Asylum involved yet. I am often frustrated that I have no one to share with my taste of music. This fansite helped me a lot to relieve that stress :D Collect your thoughts and write them all here, we would love to read about them!

I haven't listen to Fastball yet, but thanks for your suggestion...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

lune ellise wrote:Forgive me if I say that you kinda remind me in my High School days, although there is no Soul Asylum involved yet. I am often frustrated that I have no one to share with my taste of music. This fansite helped me a lot to relieve that stress :D Collect your thoughts and write them all here, we would love to read about them!

I haven't listen to Fastball yet, but thanks for your suggestion...
I don't mind that you think of me as you were in high school, but I haven't even started high school yet. All I know is my schedule and that I will definitely get lost(at the freshmen bbq I forgot where the cafeteria was so I couldn't find some of my classes, not that any of them are held in the cafeteria besides lunch.). I'm just curious as to how I'm like you.
Also, if you're going to listen to Fastball, I'd recommend the albums Make Your Mama Proud and The Harsh Light of Day just because they are underrated, plus the first one I mentioned was more of a punk feel, but was released to late in the 90s for people to take notice of it(as in after punk was popular and when more pop was taking over music). All the Pain Money Can Buy is their most popular album because it is almost the exact opposite of Make Your Mama Proud, besides the first single for their first cd, Are You Ready For the Fallout, which sounds more like them as time went on.
I hope that my writing wasn't too confusing. I tend to go off on tangents.

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

First of all, Fastball is nothing like Soul Asylum. I would not even put the two in the same sentence.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

I never said that Fastball and Soul Asylum were at all similar to each other. I said that Yahoo said that and that I listen to both bands, although now I don't listen to Fastball very much except for on occasion. I listen to more Soul Asylum, Alice in Chains, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I think that Yahoo is the only guilty party in saying that Fastball and Soul Asylum are alike.

letsburnholes
Brand New Shine

Post by letsburnholes »

Actually, when I was 12 years old (in 1998 when Fastball was popular) I always confused them with Soul Asylum. Both bands music can be classified as power pop / alternative rock with a little southern twang.

I also thought I'd add that Soul Asylum played a couple of "one off" shows with Fastball in 2006 (Both bands opened for Cheap Trick at one of the shows).

Anyone interested in discovering Fastball outside their big hit "The Way" should check out the new album they released in 2009 "Little White Lies". Really great stuff.

Oh, and I'm new here. I love Soul Asylum and I really hope they are working on a new album.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hi welcome to the forum letsburn!
i think the rumors of a new album seem pretty true! (yay)

1. post from benny
2. pictures on SA's fb page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/albu ... 194&ref=mf
3. comments from last shows about trying out 'new stuff' at soundcheck

:)
lots of good evidence!

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Hi Nicole and letsburn!

Welcome! I don't know a lot of Fastball but I do like them, enough that I went to see them at least once that I can remember. Had a great time and would go again. I don't know that I would say they are "like SA". But I tend to think SA is not really like to many bands. The only band I think SA is "like" is Led Zeppelin.

Here are my reasons.

1) Both bands can and do (did) play anthing... Blues/Rock/Country/Punk/Jazz and Pop what ever was good.
2) Both band can shredded it .... excellent guitars. everything just works right together a rare synergy and finally....
3) Both bands have the best drummer period. (relative to their time periods)

P.S. I still have dreams about walking the halls not able to find my class and most of my friends don't like the same music I listen to.

There are more important qualities in friends than the same taste in music, that is what the site is for. And you will find your way through the school. Just ask for directions when you are are lost.

Looking forward to seeing you both around!!

Meg