Billy Bragg

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
zany
Social Butterfly

Billy Bragg

Post by zany »

just an FYI, saw Billy Bragg will be playing the Newport Folk Festival this year on saturday aug. 1.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... _fe_1.html

i was looking into going on sunday to see arlo guthrie and joan baez, but now that i know the tix are $69 for general admisstion + $12 for parking not sure if i'll still be going. there's a lot of opportunities to see arlo and i just found joan will be playing a couple massachusets shows before she's in newport so maybe i'll do that instead.

although... would be cool to go to the 50th anniv of the folk fest and also pete seeger is performing .. he recently turned 90 - wow.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Re: Billy Bragg

Post by no1rockfan »

Pete Seeger is loved by Dave P. and apparently Dave Matthews as well. It might be a good show to attend, not to mention he's not getting any younger. I always give preference to new and old bands because you never know if they'll tour again!

FYI, in my interview from '98 Dave said he'd like to be like Pete.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

oh yeah? interesting!

and i thought my musical tastes were random i'm slowly finding weird overlaps of SA with folk. anyways... i'm still waiting to hear back from my friend that had previously agreed to go with me now that we know details.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

The Folk Festival could be fun, but I'm just going to catch Billy in Northampton instead.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah i think i'm also going to skip newport and just going to catch arlo guthrie when he plays at UConn .. it's a lot closer and i love having an excuse to go back to my school :)
i might try to catch joan baez in northampton too... haven't been up there for a show in a few years and i've never seen joan live.
that way i see longer sets of the people i'm more interested in for less $$.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

I agree. Longer and cheaper is always better! Joan is awesome, as is Billy and Arlo. Saw Joan at a big fest in Tinely Park (Chicago suburbs). She was rocking out in the first row to the band before and a security guard (very young) came and told her to sit down in her seat. It was so cute how she patted him on the head, and told him to go away!! :lol: :lol:

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

crawl wrote:I agree. Longer and cheaper is always better! Joan is awesome, as is Billy and Arlo. Saw Joan at a big fest in Tinely Park (Chicago suburbs). She was rocking out in the first row to the band before and a security guard (very young) came and told her to sit down in her seat. It was so cute how she patted him on the head, and told him to go away!! :lol: :lol:
Hahahahaha Sounds like one of those "should've seen it in person" situations. Wonder how the security guard took that. :D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

was just rereading this old post - anyways i did end up seeing Joan Baez in northampton - it was amazing. got chills during some songs.

but that's not why i was posting. i'm going to see Arlo Guthrie this weekend, and i just read this article about the show today and in it it says:

"They’ll even be touching upon the efforts of artists such as Billy Bragg and Wilco, who have put some of Woody’s unpublished lyrics to song in more recent years."

so now i'm all curious to see what song(s) off of Mermaid Avenue they'll be playing! i'll let you all know next week :)

http://connecticut.metromix.com/music/c ... 46/content

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

for anybody that actually likes mermaid ave. albums... at the arlo concert tonight they played these 2 songs:

billy bragg's "birds and ships" off mermaid avenue (vol1)
and JEFF TWEEDY's "airline to heaven" off volume 2.

sarah lee (arlo's daughter) sang birds & ships - which i think natalie merchant sings on the mermaid ave album anyways she did a kickass job of it, and in my opinion better (i just like her voice better).

AND i have to share this song cuz it's so amusing - arlo's other daughter cathy wrote it and sang tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gETPTtcypPg
(young ears warning - swear word in this song)

anyways the show was awesome overall - all the mixings of the rest of the family really worked well.