woody guthrie

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
zany
Social Butterfly

woody guthrie

Post by zany »

does anybody know more about this?
i guess it was a concert/album in honor of woody and it says dave pirner contributed to it.

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/merchandise ... mberem.htm

i'll see if i can find out which song dave is singing on.

i remember seeing an article somewhere about SA and how listening to woody guthrie inspired them to try acoustic guitars instead of just electric.

anyways i thought that was soooo .... random/coincidental to discover a connection beteween SA and my favorite singer/songwriter arlo guthrie (woody's son - who is obviouslyl influenced by his dad) i mean it's common for woody to be an influence of a lot of people in the folk genre (bob dylan for example) but it surprised me when i read it about SA.

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: woody guthrie

Post by zany »

ok i found a list of the songs that i could actually read.
http://woodyguthrie.org/mm5/merchant.mv ... y_Code=OTH
he's listed as singing Pretty Boy Floyd. not sure i know that song but i think it might be on the One woody guthrie album i have so i might know it afterall.

here's lyrics if you're interested.
http://woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/Pretty_Boy_Floyd.htm

has anybody heard dave's version of this song? i'm really curious now.

p.s. for those who don't know who woody guthrie is, he's most famous for "this land is your land"

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I think the album title was "Til We Outnumber 'Em".

I downloaded the Dave song several years ago, but I don't remember from who or where.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

You can hear a preview of it on Amazon's page for the CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Til-We-Outnumber- ... B00004SR2K

Track #7.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ohh Awesome that's exactly what i was looking for - a sample to satisfy my curiosity. that's so awesome that dave and arlo are on an album together. that's cool. i should get that album eventually even though i'm not a huge woody guthrie fan. but ani difranco butchered Do Re Mi which is one of woody's songs i like... unacceptable!

anyways, thanks for pointing it out to me!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

zany wrote:ohh Awesome that's exactly what i was looking for - a sample to satisfy my curiosity. that's so awesome that dave and arlo are on an album together. that's cool. i should get that album eventually even though i'm not a huge woody guthrie fan. but ani difranco butchered Do Re Mi which is one of woody's songs i like... unacceptable!

anyways, thanks for pointing it out to me!
Guthrie has a good mix of music, I only own one of his albums (Dust Bowl Ballads), but it's definitely a classic. Great folk tunes on it. I have this album, but I've only listened to it a handful of times. I just don't tend to listen to compilation albums very often. Of course, my favorite woody guthrie material, is probably the stuff Billy Bragg and Wilco did with their mermaid avenue releases. Great stuff, quite well done.

As for Pretty Boy Floyd, I know Dave and Dan were known to cover it a number of times in their '91 tour. They probably played it before and after than too, but i don't really know offhand. They really do a great version of it, and make it their own.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

that's too funny - dust bowl ballads is the only woody album i have too. i haven't listened to it in forever.

how do you feel about Arlo - i saw he does like 3 songs on there... i won't be offended if you aren't crazy about him like i am -just curious!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

FYI if anybody's interested here's the video from Pete Seeger on Late Show w/ David Letterman from Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4yKFsanqSo&NR=1

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: woody guthrie & six degrees of separation???

Post by zany »

starting to feel like everything's connected... so random...

so i learned the other day on the chat that Sarah Lee Guthrie (woody's granddaughter, arlo's daughter) played at the Rock For Karl Benefit, and thought that was a little random so i looked up more on Sarah and found out Gary Louris produced her album Exploration. anyways just some more random connections in the music i like.

(i don't know much about sarah lee, but she was at one of her dad's shows i saw and i remember really liking her singing oklahoma hills)

article from 2006
http://www.ascap.com/playback/2006/summ ... thrie.html

*** ok i'm going crazy ... this is sooo weird but i'm 90% sure the guy that wrote this article Erik Philbrook is the same guy that's in the band "the brilliant mistakes" that i've recently gotten into and am planning on seeing in a week... what the heck?? worlds are colliding!! *** i didn't even notice this when i started to post this ... about the Louris/guthrie connection.

excerpt:

In fact, when it came time to pick a producer for their first recording together, Louris was on the top of their wish list.

"We had always been fans of The Jayhawks," says Johnny. We saw all the early tours and loved how Mark and Gary sang together. You never really knew who was singing what. And that was what Sarah Lee and I were looking for vocally, to have that tight Everly Brothers, Louvin Brothers thing."

Fortunately, Gary Louris's dance card was just opening up. The Jayhawks had officially retired from the road and Louris, one of the most acclaimed songwriters of the past 20 years, was looking to explore other musical projects. He agreed to co-produce with fellow Minnesotan Ed Ackerson before his schedule filled up again (He has since released a new album, Another Fine Day, with his illustrious side project, Golden Smog, toured with his former Jayhawks partner Mark Olson, created music for the documentary Wordplay and co-written four songs with the Dixie Chicks that appear on their new hit album).

Making the transition from songwriter to producer was natural, says Louris: "As long as you get the right combination of producer and artist, it works," he says. It's kind of like getting married to somebody and having to discuss if you both want kids or not. You really should lay some groundwork ahead of time. flew to South Carolina and spent a couple of days with Sarah Lee and Johnny, and it was very helpful in establishing what kind of record we wanted to make. The songwriting thing is universal as long as you all know what kind of songs you are looking for. Sarah Lee and Johnny had a lot of songs, and stylistically they were very diverse, so there was a lot to choose from."

Sarah Lee and Johnny recorded their album, Exploration (New West), with Gary and Ed in Minneapolis in roughly 12 days. They were joined in the studio by an extended "musical" family that included Louris's Jayhawks bandmate Marc Perlman, Son Volt veterans Dave Boquist and Eric Heywood, as well as Irion's childhood friend Zeke Hutchins (who also drums for Tift Merrit). The result is an exhilarating collection of folkrock songs that brim with gorgeous harmonies, thought-provoking lyrics and inspired performances by a group of musicians playing with both a sense of purpose and a sense of fun.