Suicide Commandos - 3 shows in MPLS - Nov 7th 2009

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
norma023
O'Jeezer

Suicide Commandos - 3 shows in MPLS - Nov 7th 2009

Post by norma023 »

This just in...not my words...

THREE Suicide Commandos performances in ONE DAY on Saturday, November 7th!

Two ELECTRIC shows for the younger kids @ WAC!

Performance: Suicide Commandos, 11 am and 1 pm
Join Minnesota’s pioneers of punk as they school families in the history of rock, in this family-friendly performance and sharing session. Free First Saturday is part of the Walker Art Center's Raising Creative Kids Initiative, additional support is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services.

One ACOUSTIC show for the older kids @ DAKOTA BAR & GRILL 11 pm.

The greatest rock band to ever come out of Minneapolis is not the Trashmen, The Replacements, Husker Du or even Spiritual Mansions. It is the Suicide Commandos.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: Suicide Commandos - 3 shows in MPLS - Nov 7th 2009

Post by norma023 »

apparently Rybak likes these guys....!

http://www.avclub.com/twincities/articl ... n%2C34989/

Rybak declares Nov. 7 "Suicide Commandos Day" in Minneapolis

by Lindsey Thomas November 4, 2009

We re-elected him and, in return, he gave us an official day to rock out. Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak announced today that Saturday, Nov. 7, will be Suicide Commandos Day. The language from the official proclamation is too good to paraphrase, grammatical errors and all:

"Whereas, in the words of 'indie' music industry shaker and mover, Peter Jesperson at New West Records in L.A., 'The Suicide Commandos are THE Granddaddy’s of the Minneapolis/St. Paul music scene that later bred The Suburbs, Hüsker Dü, The Replacements, Soul Asylum and The Jayhawks.'
Whereas The Suicide Commandos put the Minneapolis Music scene on the map; and

Whereas The Suicide Commandos carved a path where there was none before. Many of the Minneapolis bands that went onto big success may not have done so without the Commandos having done so."

But this isn't just a quiet, ceremonial, key-to-the-city sort of deal. The band is reuniting to play three shows that day. The first two, taking place at the Walker Art Center at 11am and 1pm, will be family-friendly sets designed to educate the little ones about punk rock, while the third will be an acoustic set at the Dakota that night. Offstage, the trio is also active in music education and production: Guitarist Chris Osgood is on the staff of McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul; drummer Dave Ahl builds recording studios; and bassist Steve Almaas is a music teacher in New York.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

So are you taking your son? We're debating this or the zoo. :?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

If he was at my house, then for sure! However he is at his Mom's house tmrw....

here's the direct venue link for it
http://calendar.walkerart.org/event.wac?id=5264

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Bummer. Thanks for the link!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.