Michael Bland in new Nick Jonas video

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
danger girl
Stranger

Michael Bland in new Nick Jonas video

Post by danger girl »

Don't ask me why I watched this (actually it wasn't that bad). http://www.twitvid.com/3F355

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: Michael Bland in new Nick Jonas video

Post by dells »

I thought it was cool that the director chose to feature Mike so much in this video. Mike got a lot of well deserved closeup screen time. Good message in the song, but the backbeat in the music is what makes the vocals bearable. I think I am interested to see how Nick's vocals mature with him, but I don't care for it now.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

That video was kinda cool. If only I could get past the fact that Nick Jonas is the biggest dweeb on the planet I could enjoy it more. :P

I mean, I don't hate the Jonas Brothers, but god, they're just too fucking wholesome! That's why I love SA and The Replacements. I don't care if the 'mats were drunk out of their skulls half the time, they're better role models than those promise-ring-wearing nancy boys could ever be. Why can't teen girls these days look up to real men like Dave and Tommy and Paul Westerberg?

Anyway, cool video worth watching. All things considered I did like the song. Thanks for posting it.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Hmm... the Jonas Brothers aren't very big here in Europe... and even if they were... it wouldn't be my cup of tea obviously... but this song reminds me of Hanson back in the day... they were huge here in the 90's... and I guess it's the same kind of thing.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I agree, the video definitely showed a good message; went well with the song which I thought was pretty decent. As well as Michael you can also see on bass, John Fields, who co-produced TSL an played a few shows with SA (around the time TSL was released).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Only Michael Bland will lead me to watch a Jonas video.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i've heard of these jonas people but i had no clue what he/they look or sound like. anyways, thanks for pointing it out! always fun to see SA members :)

they should have had michael holding up a sign like all the random people were. saying something cool that i can't think of

i thought the song was as good as anything else i hear on the radio before i have time to hookup my mp3 player in the car.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I also would have liked to see Michael Bland hold up a sign.

That song wasn't too bad. I won't run out and buy it, but I didn't find it annoying.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

zany wrote:they should have had michael holding up a sign like all the random people were.
Actually, I'm glad that the director chose to feature Micheal the way he did, rather than have him hold up a sign stating his "flaw" that he wishes ppl would love him in spite of.

Since I am also an obese person, I think I can safely theorize, hopefully without offending him, that If Micheal were to be shown holding a sign, his "flaw" sign would read "Obesity". But IMHO, the director, by prominately featuring shots of Mike pounding the hell out of those drums, instead of holding up a "flaw" sign, subtly but much more more effectively demontrated that it's indeed possible to achieve success, respect, and even fame, in spite of our percieved flaws, using our God-given gifts and/or talents & skills.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah.... i guess i TOTALLY wasn't paying enough attention :lol:
:) i didn't realize that's what the signs were about Della! !!
i thought i remembered one sign said "artist" so i thought michael's could say something COOL... like "vibe-de-crusher" (ok not that cuz i know that's kinda weird but you know what i mean)