Who do you think is the king of the Minneapolis music scene?

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.

Who do you think is the king of Minneapolis music?

Chris Osgood
No votes
Paul Westerberg
20%
Dave Pirner
No votes
Prince Rogers Nelson
70%
Bob Mould
10%
Gary Louris and Marc Perlman
No votes
The Bird, because he is the word.
No votes

Total votes: 10

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Who do you think is the king of the Minneapolis music scene?

Post by AlyssaJones »

Since I'm reading All Over But The Shouting (the book about the 'mats) I've been thinking about all the other great musicians from Minneapolis. So who do you think is the "king" of Minneapolis music, as in, who do you think has had the most influence on other Minneapolis acts as well as music in general, and who do you think will be remembered as being from Minneapolis the most? And who do you think Minneapolis is most proud of?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Who do you think is the king of the Minneapolis music scene?

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Good question Sara.
So who do you think is the "king" of Minneapolis music, as in, who do you think has had the most influence on other Minneapolis acts as well as music in general.
I'd have to go with Bob Mould. He was one of the pioneers of the Minneapolis music scene. I'd have to say he's the one I admire most from Minneapolis especially since he contributed a lot to bringing SA to what they are now (including producing 3 of their albums). Unfortunately, I think he is overlooked by many people from Minneapolis.
who do you think will be remembered as being from Minneapolis the most?
I'd have to choose Prince. The main reason being is that I think the majority of people (all over and not just Minneapolis) associate him with the movie Purple Rain (whether they particularly like his music or not).
And who do you think Minneapolis is most proud of?
Again I'd have to go with Prince. He contributed new sounds and helped inspire a lot of other new bands which became very well known and still play to this day (and he help put Michael Bland on the map).

Although not on the list, I'd have to go with Bob Dylan with this one. He also influenced many well known artists which went on to be very famous. I would have chose him for being remembered for Minneapolis the most but I don't think many people are aware of his origin.

Overall, Prince gets my vote for the King of the music scene.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

I love Dave, I respect Paul, but Bob is THE MAN!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I had to go with Paul Westerberg for this. He may not do a lot of work with the rest of the scene, but he really represents a lot of it. Bob Mould worked hard on building the scene back in the 80s, and should be respected for that, and he's done some good work with his bands. However, it's hard to say that he represents the scene now, as he's been away for so long. Dave, although a great musician, was never really a huge organizer, or rallying point of the scene, he was just there . . . Personally I'd consider Karl to be more involved with the local scene. Plus, Dave's been away for a while now, although Mpls is still a second home of sorts for him.

I won't really give Dylan credit in this one, as the only reason he's even considered is because he grew up in MN. He went to college for a year or two in mpls, briefly started his music career, and then moved to new york. He really doesn't belong as part of the mpls music scene, and although he's a great musician that many cities want to claim as their own, I don't really think mpls has a say on it.

Why give the honors to paul though is an interesting question. Mostly because he's become the elder statesman of sorts. Young rock bands in the area look up to him, and he's nationally known and respected. Maybe he's been put on a higher place then he deserves (as he never did that much for the rest of the music community, although Pablo Lousearama did produce an amazing album a while back), but his place is definitely there, and as he's still in the area, he can't be denied. Finally, I think Paul represents much of the attitude of mpls. He's kind of aloof, and on his own, he has many demons he's fought through the years, but he's gotten through it, and has the battle scars to show for it.

Phil

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Although not on the list, I'd have to go with Bob Dylan with this one. He also influenced many well known artists which went on to be very famous. I would have chose him for being remembered for Minneapolis the most but I don't think many people are aware of his origin.
He should be added to the list to promote awareness!

I voted Prince.