all those stones

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
crawl
Social Butterfly

all those stones

Post by crawl »

here in kiev, ukraine. WOW. Opening of Contemporary Art in old Soviet Arsenal building. 62 miles from Chernobyl. Beautiful city. In US we have no clue. The pain of war, the history, the suffering. Soviet U ... Russia is turning old Arsenals into Musuems, for art. I havenot found the Rock and roll here. But Swan lake ahhh. can not even imagine not having enough food to feed you children. Or thining that they should NOT eat what ever food was there. Organic very big here..duh. Don't think they are encouraging nuclear energy. Still need to ask about strategic military use.

So interesting to hear the news and how the US is seen.

The eyes of the world look to us...because I thnk we are free and somehow in freedom we have become prosperous.

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Re: all those stones

Post by I Love Dim Light »

I'm sorry Crawl but i don't really understand what your post is about. Who's got nothing to eat? What war and what suffering you're talking about? (do you mean WW2?) Are you in Kiev now? Are you sure it was Organic? (cause when it's GM they just don't mention it) (better don't eat anything here).
As to not encouraging nuclear energy, it's because they don't encourage anything at all, not any part of industry or science. (speaking about Ukraine, not so sure about Russia).

Well, i don't know about freedom... Are you? Cause some things i saw on tv or read on internet make me think that US is somewhat of a police state.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Not sure about your answer either U.S. a police state? I don't know what GM is.

Yes in Keiv, beautiful place, very nice city, architecture, art.. it is amazing! Rich. People here the same as everywhere I have been so far. Little boys with sticks... throwing stones. Have a pic of a friend with a gas mask. These are not long ago in use. Some one who is 79 would remember. I wonder if that is where the alien look came from.

Probably right don't eat anything, definitely not monkey brains. But when in Rome... It is hard to be somewhere a week and not eat anything. For me anyway. Figure not here long enough for long term effect of radaion poisioning. Also here living the highlife, all places taken to organic food and farm. But in US now they want to build more nuclear facilities?!**!?!? Sounds like a good idea? It works so well.

Just another brick in the Wall.

Seems time to Stand up and Be Strong and fight! for what is right. It is possible to make sure that everyone has enough food, some shelter, medical (Can you say polio vacinne?) It is just one world and everyone is looking to US. We have freedom.

And in comparison we have everything. In Ukraine, only recently can they have Juicy Fruit, at the end of the meal the waiter brings a piece of Wriglesy spearment gum! But many are out there looking with purpose, ideas and encouragement. Democracy is the only way to have a bloodless coupe, even if it takes a bloody coupe to get there. Hope fully it can be the last blood letting in a country. Thomas Paine Commen Sense, on the revolutionary take over. With Democracy you don't need a revolution or blood, just enought votes (well and OK probably $$$$)

US is just a baby in the eyes of the world but it has the most money. Money, money, money. Here there is history, his story. and ahh the art!

thanks so much! for answering my post so that I couldd ramble here with some puropose. (?)

Not sure if I am standing in the sun with a popsicle or the best day ever just got better...

Meg

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

crawl wrote:Not sure about your answer either U.S. a police state? I don't know what GM is.

Yes in Keiv, beautiful place, very nice city, architecture, art.. it is amazing! Rich. People here the same as everywhere I have been so far. Little boys with sticks... throwing stones. Have a pic of a friend with a gas mask. These are not long ago in use. Some one who is 79 would remember. I wonder if that is where the alien look came from.

Probably right don't eat anything, definitely not monkey brains. But when in Rome... It is hard to be somewhere a week and not eat anything. For me anyway. Figure not here long enough for long term effect of radaion poisioning. Also here living the highlife, all places taken to organic food and farm. But in US now they want to build more nuclear facilities?!**!?!? Sounds like a good idea? It works so well.

Just another brick in the Wall.

Seems time to Stand up and Be Strong and fight! for what is right. It is possible to make sure that everyone has enough food, some shelter, medical (Can you say polio vacinne?) It is just one world and everyone is looking to US. We have freedom.

And in comparison we have everything. In Ukraine, only recently can they have Juicy Fruit, at the end of the meal the waiter brings a piece of Wriglesy spearment gum! But many are out there looking with purpose, ideas and encouragement. Democracy is the only way to have a bloodless coupe, even if it takes a bloody coupe to get there. Hope fully it can be the last blood letting in a country. Thomas Paine Commen Sense, on the revolutionary take over. With Democracy you don't need a revolution or blood, just enought votes (well and OK probably $$$$)

US is just a baby in the eyes of the world but it has the most money. Money, money, money. Here there is history, his story. and ahh the art!

thanks so much! for answering my post so that I couldd ramble here with some puropose. (?)

Not sure if I am standing in the sun with a popsicle or the best day ever just got better...

Meg
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rtd64Pw1iQ[/youtube]

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

AHH

Thanks Phil,

That was beautiful. It is going right on my facebook. Decompressing and jet lag but great to be home. What an amazing experience. Said to someone, they are now trying to expand nuclear power in US. They said well there must be a movement against that. My response... um I guess so obviously right. Said same to some one here their response same as mine, well there must be...

Guess we are all too worried about finding jobs and paying bills to think of it. Thinking someone may like it that way, poverty like opiate for the masses, keeps them from being distracted by government (Maslow's heirarchy of needs) Politicians throwing stones.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Peace,

Meg

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Dim Light,

Are you in Crimea,

Cause you must know way more about Ukraine then. Looks like you are right next door. What does GM mean. And do you think that the US is a police state? What does police state mean to you. When in the Ukraine, I did not see one police men or car. How do people get by not eating anything?

Looks like Crimea must be a very beautiful place.

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Post by I Love Dim Light »

Sorry Meg, couldn't find time to reply.
By GM i meant genetically modified. (they're big not because of radiation). (Actually many foods are imported from other countries, especially fruits.)

I guess i meant that there're more restrictions in US, more control. But i don't know for sure. A few years ago i used to believe to everything i see on tv, and now i think, ''well, they do survive somehow there, so maybe it's not that bad?"

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Regarding police states, it's a fact that the US and Western Europe have in the last decade passed laws like the Patriot act and the FRA law. That in itself doesn't make them police states in the usual sense of the word, because people aren't arrested or censored for the slightest offense.

It does mean, however, that the means available for legally (and invisibly) surveilling ordinary people are much more effective than at any previous point in history. If a totalitarian regime were to suddenly seize power, we would already have provided them with all the means to becoming a truly frightening police state. In that sense, the term "police state" is certainly relevant to keep in mind.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Yes, you are both right in that case, the "Patriot Act" is a major invasion of privacy. A librarian here had to fight that the library books you took out should not be disclosed to the government.

They can know everything about us from all our transactions. Mostly I think I am too small for anyone to care. But I have to admit I realize that it is known.

Scary to have you put it that way Jacob, but yes if a totalitarian government took control, the means they would have is available. Unfortunately most people are convinced that they need the information to protect us from terrorism.

But also correct in don't believe all you hear. It was interesting to hear what was being said about us. Mostly here we are just trying to have a job and enough money to live.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I don't really think the Patriot act did that that much beyond what the federal government was doing already, it just made things a lot more pronounced, as there was a lot of publicity around it. Many of the powers granted to the government over the years have been quite scary in their implications. Being able to have warrantless wire taps, monitoring of many of our moves (and yes most of those were allowed before the patriot act, what the patriot act mostly did was helped the sharing of information between different government departments).

What scares me about this monitoring isn't that I'm doing something wrong, and going to get arrested, but rather the fact that someone is monitoring so much of what I'm doing. I value my privacy. In a perfect world, I wouldn't care if a government was gathering this information, and just using it to determine if someone was a major threat to national security. However, in the real world, the potential for leaking of information is way too great.

It's not people high up who you worry about leaking this information (they're much to smart to directly leak it), but rather the people at the bottom. The people paid $30,000 a year to work in a government office who happen to have access to many of these databases. They legally can't look at much of the information, but what restrictions are really in place to stop them? Is their job so wonderful that they won't risk it to peak at a neighbor or friends personal history? Then the political implications are huge. How many times has private information of political candidates slipped out from a low level person in the campaign who leaked it. Most of us have things we've done we aren't necessarily proud of. Moments of bad judgement or what have you. Do we really want to be in a world where, in order to run for office, you're either perfect, or not afraid of your whole life being exposed publicly? It's bad enough knowing all the stuff that can be tracked with the internet, and digital pictures (does the world need to see that picture of you completely drunk at a friends party in college?), but having a government run database of information you don't necessarily know about scares me a lot. I really just don't like the idea of giving that much power to someone with so few real "responsibilities". It's the same with regular police officers, and especially TSA agents. We give a ton of power to someone who really isn't important, and that can cause all sorts of problems.

Anyhow, I don't think the US has things so horrible in most of the country. There are a handful of warrantless taps that were used, and more scary is wondering how much internet traffic was getting diverted to government spying operations. But basically the only part of the US remotely resembling a police states is the airport, which makes flying absolutely miserable.

Phil