Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Song versus song

Post by zany »

i have to go with runaway train on this one because that was my favorite line of any song back in GDU days (haven't really re-assessed it lately) 'can you help me remember how to smile'

next question -

favorite song with "action -ing verb"

slowly rising
crashing down
growing into you
i will still be laughing
standing in the doorway
walking

i didn't include __in' ones like spinnin' (saving those for another Q!) or ones where the -ing verb is just descriptive like growing pain. (sorry for all the weird explanations - it's just getting harder for me to come up with categories!)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I can't decide between crashing down and standing in the doorway, crashing down is one of the best songs on WYWO, but the first time I heard Standing in the doorway, I could and still can relate to that line: don't try to tell me I'm paranoid, so i vote for SITD

I just noticed this:
Can't Go Back: seeing things clearly and I thank you so dearly...
See You Later: and how I thank you dearly for helping me see clearly...

Ha, what do you think? Seeing that the first song is Dan's and the second one Dave's - I can only conclude: great minds think alike!

Since I currently have no inspiration for a better battle of songs, these songs are my next question: which of these two do you like more?

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Sometime to Return wrote:
spodiba
I still don't have Clam dip (nor LYDLS
WHAT!! :shock:
Neither one??

No collection is complete without these two.
March down to your local record store; make the purchase and report back in. Go on now; march... faster. :lol:
I'm back with an update :D
I went to that record store, of course the CDs didn't arrive. So I bought them on ebay, and hopefully, they're somewhere over the ocean :D

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

spodiba wrote:I can't decide between crashing down and standing in the doorway, crashing down is one of the best songs on WYWO, but the first time I heard Standing in the doorway, I could and still can relate to that line: don't try to tell me I'm paranoid, so i vote for SITD
you know what's neat about Standing in the doorway for this category? the category is action-verbs, and standing is sort of like non-action, yet the not-acting can be an act of its own. (maybe i didn't say thiat right but i know i mean something that makes sense!)
spodiba wrote: I just noticed this:
Can't Go Back: seeing things clearly and I thank you so dearly...
See You Later: and how I thank you dearly for helping me see clearly...
this was tough but i have to choose Can't Go back, because it's in my more frequent rotation lately than see you later. i would have answered the other way a few months ago i think.
(really interesting that you noticed this by the way!)

next question - best reference vaguely related to cross dressing

1. freak accident (i wore that wig i wore that dress)

2. bittersweetheart (i used to think this said "stole in on stilettos" as if he was wearing them but the discography says "Stole an old stiletto, started stabbing in the dark" which makes more sense - you can't stab with it if it's on your foot. so you can choose not to count this one if you like)

3. I did my best (Holed up in the dressing room Without a dress)

4. Masquerade (I got my makeup on I got my hair all done)

5. Fearless Leader (Divine was a woman. His private parts said she was a man)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Actually, a stiletto is a type of dagger. Shoes with slender, pointed heels are called stilettos because the heels resemble the shape of that dagger's blade.

Because of "stabbing," I think the stiletto in "Bittersweetheart" is meant to be a dagger, not a shoe.

Butting out now. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I Did My Best - because I always found that line quite funny

next question: favorite "broken" song:
Broken Glass
Made To Be Broken
Promises Broken

off-topic: zany, why are we the only ones playing this game? Not that I mind playing with you (god, this sounded weird :lol: ) No one wants to play it anymore, and generally things have become really slow around here. Or do I just have too much time on my hands? Or did you all went to Hawaii for a summer vacation and ditched us? :D

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

spodiba wrote:
next question: favorite "broken" song:
Broken Glass
Made To Be Broken
Promises Broken

No one wants to play it anymore, and generally things have become really slow around here. Or do I just have too much time on my hands? Or did you all went to Hawaii for a summer vacation and ditched us? :D
Hi :D
I read your posts everyday, and I laugh a lot!!!! :lol:
I really enjoy reading all the threads, but, unfortunately, I don’t have much time to answer (and it takes me more time thinking and writing in English than in spanish, jajaja)… Hmm, I’m thinking my answer right now!!! Which broken?? (You know, I had thought about it too)
Broken Glass… cause it represents all my fears, and it helps me to face them.

Next:
Favorite song that mentions “fool” or “fools” (Wow!! I used the search function and there are a lot of songs about being fooled, fooling and foolish!! I’m not going to include them):

Nothing To Write Home About (No one told me I'd be taken for a fool)
April Fool (I'm an April Fool for you)
Bitter Pill (One more fool to follow)
Jack of All Trades (and the fool he has made…)
Ship of Fools (Ship of fools, drunken hearts)
Job For Me (Well anyone that could fool around is me)
Do You Know (…and jewerly under bombs and fools and country bums)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Ship Of Fools - I first heard that song when watching a video of live performance by Dan & Dave, I think it was in Madison, 1991. And it was the slow, acoustic, quiet version and I really liked it. Then I bought Made To Be Broken and heard the real version, but somehow, for me, the actual version of that song is the acoustic one - it really stuck with me, so I vote for that song

next question: best song with a vulture in it:
Beggars and Choosers (the vultures are all circling around your window now...)
Somebody To Shove (and the time flies by like a vulture in the sky...)

mad_soul,
haha, I'm glad that you're here somewhere, if not writing anything then at least reading posts :) I was worried people forgot about this site - even the moderators escaped :lol: (just kidding...)

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

spodiba wrote:
next question: best song with a vulture in it:
Beggars and Choosers (the vultures are all circling around your window now...)
Somebody To Shove (and the time flies by like a vulture in the sky...)
I’m really impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you a mind reader or what??? I was thinking the same question about vultures!!!!!!!! I thought about it on Saturday night… I was just waiting for somebody to answer my post, jajaja............ Well, I hope I’ll dream about something creative tonight :idea:

PS: let’s keep this thread alive! :D

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Haha, really? :D
Yes, we shouldn't let this thread be forgotten! Let's keep on playing! :D