Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Song versus song

Post by philipgar »

blueharvest wrote:Oh! and was Misery a soundtrack song because of its coincidental inclusion in the Tommy Lee/Pamela video? :P
Misery was played at the end of clerks II. It really was quite a fitting song for the end. There are few songs I've seen that fit so perfectly. Apparently Kevin Smith had been trying to work that song into a movie for a while, and finally got an opportunity with the second clerks movie.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

blueharvest wrote:Nice one Phil!
gotta be Can't Even Tell. It's one of the best songs to come out of the Columbia years I think. The Break may be just about the worst.
anyway, here's the next one!

Best song whose title could easily be misunderstood as being of a sexual nature but is not necessarily so:

Cocktails
Goin' Down
Put the Bone In
The Snake
Take it to the Root

J
ok i don't know all of those so i started reading some of the lyrics. the answer is clearly Goin' Down. i mean all that wet talk in the lyrics too.

new question...

best quasi-motivational sounding song

carry on or keep it up ?

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Well as you can probably tell, I like old school SA so I'll definitely go for Carry On. I've posted a bunch of the question choices on this thread and I always choose songs from the older and more obscure sources because I enjoy that era of SA far more than anything post-GDU. I'm surprised (kinda) that many people have replied to lots of the questions with something to the effect of: "I don't know lots of those songs so I'll choose ________". Why not track down the songs and give them a listen? It's Soul Asylum! They have more than 3 albums! They rocked like none other in the 80's. Seriously, give it a try, you won't be disappointed. Rant over.
Next question:
Best "infinite" song:

Endless Farewell
Forever and a Day

J

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hey! i don't know where to HEAR goin' down but at least i read the lyrics even though i didn't know the song... i have 6 of their albums mostly that i bought a long time ago and i'm on a spending-freeze due to a looming 2-mortgage situation. so any that i don't know and can't find on youtube well... sorry :(

so therefore will have to pass your question on to the next person because i don't know those two ..

BUT i'm glad you answered carry on! that was my answer too. i'm still a little GDU'd out even after all this time so lately i've been listening more to my WYWO and horse (and silver lining)

ok sorry so defensive!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

blueharvest wrote:Well as you can probably tell, I like old school SA so I'll definitely go for Carry On. I've posted a bunch of the question choices on this thread and I always choose songs from the older and more obscure sources because I enjoy that era of SA far more than anything post-GDU. I'm surprised (kinda) that many people have replied to lots of the questions with something to the effect of: "I don't know lots of those songs so I'll choose ________". Why not track down the songs and give them a listen? It's Soul Asylum! They have more than 3 albums! They rocked like none other in the 80's. Seriously, give it a try, you won't be disappointed. Rant over.
To be fair, there were a lot of songs on that last poll from Time's Incinerator. Hell, I haven't listened to that tape in years now. For many people it's not even really an option, as that tape isn't exactly easy to track down.

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Sorry.... my post wasn't meant to make anyone feel bad or anything. I really did mean it to try encourage and push some members to try and find and listen to more SA. I'm not really into "hit"pop music. I like following bands and songwriters and I find I can really understand and interpret songs and music differently when I have a clear view of the entire oeuvre of an artist. "all is Well" is better if you've heard "Hang Time". "Promises Broken" is better if you've heard "Broken Glass". SA has a really rich history and the music is the soundtrack to all of that. The older music informs the recent music. It influences and reacts to it. So anyway, I didnt mean to make you feel bad in anyway, i honestly only hope that you get a chance to listen to every song SA has ever done.
As for where to hear all the songs. Try many different record shops for the older albums. You could find some of them used as well. Try E-bay. And yeah, Phil is absolutely right. Time's Incinerator is a tough find. Personally I think it's brilliant and would love to have a copy on CD. I'm not very tech-minded and wouldn't know where to start on how to convert it. I know there was a thread up somewhere about doing just that. Any progress? Anyone?
I'm glad you would have chosen "Carry On" too! ;)
next question!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

don't worry you didn't make me feel bad!
i'm still getting to know all the TSL songs for now since i just heard it for the first time at the show i saw recently. once that's not as new i will probably get motivated to get some of the albums i'm still missing (AFTER my darn condo sells .... stupid double mortgages are annoying!!!!!!)

ANYWAYS, we're still on your question from before and i am refraining from answering as i don't know these ones (YET) :)

Best "infinite" song:

Endless Farewell
Forever and a Day

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ok it's been a week and since i realized i do know one of these songs as i have it on hangtime but didn't recognize the title at first,
i will have to vote for endless farewell. i do like it so it's not a vote just cuz i know it over the other
i'm making up a new question to keep the thread going, but i'll suggest blueharvest answer the forever-song question as i'm curious which you'd pick

new Q:
favorite dan song of JUST these two (no adding other dan songs for this one)

Miracle Mile
vs
Gullible's Travels

because i'm initerested to know other's opinions on these 2 relative to eachother.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

zany wrote:ok it's been a week and since i realized i do know one of these songs as i have it on hangtime but didn't recognize the title at first,
i will have to vote for endless farewell. i do like it so it's not a vote just cuz i know it over the other
i'm making up a new question to keep the thread going, but i'll suggest blueharvest answer the forever-song question as i'm curious which you'd pick

new Q:
favorite dan song of JUST these two (no adding other dan songs for this one)

Miracle Mile
vs
Gullible's Travels

because i'm initerested to know other's opinions on these 2 relative to eachother.
not really a question, gullible's travel's wins by a miracle mile.

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

cheers zany! wow! what a tough tough choice. Endless farewell is such a great ballad. I like ballads that aren't blatantly trying to be commercial. Forever and a day is a truely great song too. It totally fits in with the rest of Hang Time. (many of us believe that it eventually morphed into Easy Street). But in the end, I'd probably have to go for Endless. Forever and a Day's bridging solo/instrumental part in the middle isn't all that. But the rest is killer.
As for Miracle Mile and Gullible's, I'd have to agree with Phil that Gullible's wins. I quite like Miracle Mile, and it shows quite a different side to Dan's songwriting than what we are used to these days. Actually, Forever and a Day is most likely penned by Dan too. Dave writes most of the songs in SA but in terms of % of output that I really love, Dan's is much higher.
Since Phil didn't, I'll post the next Q:
Best song whose title suggests some form of imprisonment:

Chains
Cradle Chain
Caged Rat
Tied to the Tracks