Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Re: Song versus song

Post by sayeeda »

Black Gold. I'd heard it fresh off the album, never as an overplayed single, and never on the radio. I love how the other two are upbeat and catchy but with strong messages. Still, Black Gold's my favorite of the bunch.

Next question:

Favorite "Stand" song

Standing Water
Stand Up and Be Strong
Standing in the Doorway

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Re:

Post by sayeeda »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
closer wrote:You can hear Miss This when they are on that bridge after those twin tornados made those cows fly through the air and the other guys arrive with the car.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye (or ear) out for them next time I watch the movies.
I certainly did look for it when I watched the movie earlier tonight...but I had to be away (get called by parent do do something) at exactly that moment! Ohhh the lousy timing! :(

So the darkness fades

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

sayeeda wrote:
closer wrote:You can hear Miss This when they are on that bridge after those twin tornados made those cows fly through the air and the other guys arrive with the car.
I certainly did look for it when I watched the movie earlier tonight...but I had to be away (get called by parent do do something) at exactly that moment! Ohhh the lousy timing! :(
I did the same for I Know What You Did Last Summer. I have to endure 2 hours of idiotic running and screaming just to hear Losin' It. I don't think I accomplished anything though, because I can't remember anything from the movie - even the SA song...

Miss This is a superb song! I think the song is very stylistic - cool drums and bass, and quite un-Soul Asylum-ish.
sayeeda wrote:Black Gold. I'd heard it fresh off the album, never as an overplayed single, and never on the radio. I love how the other two are upbeat and catchy but with strong messages. Still, Black Gold's my favorite of the bunch.

Next question:

Favorite "Stand" song

Standing Water
Stand Up and Be Strong
Standing in the Doorway
I would go with Standing in the Doorway. There's a very striking symbolism in the song that I really like, masked in a raw, arrogant, rock tune that makes the song rebellious, a bit nonsensical (but is not really).

~will post the next question later, seems only the forum in ETSA is working with my browser
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

lune ellise wrote:Miss This is a superb song! I think the song is very stylistic - cool drums and bass, and quite un-Soul Asylum-ish.
I've never had the opportunity to hear Miss This and know at the time that that's what I was listening to. :(

Technically, my first time was around late 96/early 97, the first time I saw Twister. I remember the twin tornadoes and the flying cow, and hearing something at the time which I thought was pretty cool. :-P

So the darkness fades

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Next question, if you're still up for it :) :

favorite song with a hooker/prostitute reference:
eyes of a child (...got a goldfish named Silver and a pimp who's named Rick...)
string of pearls (...so she gave it to Lisa, a young prostitute who was missing a pearl...)
wthout a trace ( I fell in love with a hooker...)

I think there was no question like this one in this game. I thought of it because of a friend of mine, who said, as I was trying to make a fan out of her, that all SA songs are about hookers and prostitutes (at that time we only had access to GDU and post GDU songs). So I know I didn't mention other songs with this reference, so feel free to add them on my little list :D

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hmm i can think of at least one more:

in passing sad day dream (And the lovely Miss Liberty is just another whore)

so ofthose.. i chose without a trace because the hooker is happy (well laughing at least) ...even though the "i" who fell in love with her isn't
and in the other songs they sound more depressed except for pearl... but since i don't really love that song at all, i'm choosing without a trace!

ok next question: best song that talks about 'NOT getting paid' (i wonder if they used to get ripped off a lot and kept writting songs complaining about people not getting paid? i notice the last one is on GDU - guess after that they stopped complaining about not getting paid!?)

1. nice guys (don't get paid)
2. the sun maid (she never gets paid)
3. money talks ( I'll pay you when I get paid )
4. marionette ( It's very hard work when you don't get paid )

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I have to go with Nice Guys, it's just such a great song. I love the ballads, and the story there is hilarious.

Best soundtrack song (ill likely miss some on here...)
Miss This
The Break
Can't Even Tell
Schools Out
I will still be laughing
Misery
We 3

phil

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

We 3, definitely. It's a wonderful song with a story, and so unusual, and sad at the same time

next question:
favorite song with the mention of bodily fluids:
Veil of Tears or Blood Into Wine

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

philipgar wrote:I have to go with Nice Guys, it's just such a great song. I love the ballads, and the story there is hilarious.
Hmmm. When I first heard the song, I didn't find the story hilarious, but rather disturbing.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

spodiba wrote:We 3, definitely. It's a wonderful song with a story, and so unusual, and sad at the same time

next question:
favorite song with the mention of bodily fluids:
Veil of Tears or Blood Into Wine
Both excellent songs, but I must vote for an unreleased/outtake song as the best "bodily fluids" songs:
Die In Your Arms )(A flailing, lost, delerious sperm, a semen lost at sea.) :D

Die In Your Arms is not only a lovely sounding song to listen to, but it is also a superb example of Dave's unique, quirky, and brilliant writing style, which makes it hands down the best bodily fluids song IMHO :)

I couldn't resist posting my response to the bodliy fluids songs, but I'm afraid I can't dream up a new song vs. song battle. My bad.
dells