Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Homesick
Warden

Song versus song

Post by Homesick »

This is a funny little game that pits Soul Asylum's songs against each other in fierce competition for various titles.

Here's how it works:

The first player starts by naming two or more songs and which title they are fighting for, like this:
Best closing song:

The Sun Maid or I Did My Best or Cradle Chain?
The next player then names the winner, writing something like this:
I Did My Best, because I love its message, and because its opening lines are some of the most beautiful words ever put into song.
(You don't have to provide a motivation, but it's always more interesting if you do.)

At the same time, the player who named the winner also announces a new contest that the player after him gets to decide, thus keeping the game rolling.

While this isn't strictly off-topic, I think it's best if we keep most posting games in the Off-Topic section so that we don't clutter the general forum.
Last edited by Homesick on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Alright, let's go!

Best song about a city:

Bus Named Desire (New Orleans) or New York Blackout?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Homesick wrote:Best song about a city:

Bus Named Desire (New Orleans) or New York Blackout?
I would have to say New York Blackout. I really love the guitar solo and the build up near the end "still I'm trying to find you in this blackout...in this blackout". It is probably my second favorite song on Candy From A Stranger, right behind Cradle Chain (which probably would have been my choice for favorite album closer, but I Did My Best would have been a close second).

I don't think Bus Named Desire is necessarily about New Orleans (besides the fact thats where Dave got the idea for the song). There are no references in the song that make the connection that is about New Orleans or implies that it is. Still a great song none-the-less, but New York Blackout gets my vote.

I'm just going to switch your example around for my question, which for me to answer this way is a little bit more tough. I have a few others questions I could have asked, but I'll leave them for another round.

Which song is the best album opener:

Somebody to Shove, Misery, or Stand Up and Be Strong?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Although Stand Up and Be Strong has a nice fade-in and Misery has that "one, two, three, four" thing that fit for an album opening, both of those songs took quite a while to grow on me, which is really the opposite of what an opening track should do. Somebody To Shove, on the other hand, is a really powerful intro that latches onto you pretty quick—and it doesn't hurt that the video is awesome.

Best "the" song:

The Sun Maid or The Great Exaggerator or The Game or The Judge?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

The Great Exaggerator without a doubt. The other songs are wonderful, but Great Exaggerator has such great lyrics (yes, even better than who's gonna judge the judge). The following verse is jut awesome:

So can we not talk about this?
I don't wanna talk about that
Maybe turn on the TV
And kick back

'Cause I am the great exaggerator
Don't ask me now and please don't ask me later
'Cause I'll blow it way out of proportion
I'll make it loud beyond distortion

Please don't argue with the great exaggerator (×2)

Of course the rest of the song is just as awesome. It's how I feel so often, wanting to kick back. And yeah, I can be the great exaggerator sometimes..

For the next one, best of the trilogy: "Black Gold", "Crazy Mixed up World", or "Lately".

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I've never heard anyone referring to those songs as a "trilogy" before, but I'm guessing you mean that they all express anti-war sentiments. In that case, I'll go with Lately. While I think Black Gold is the better song, I think Lately's message is more accessible, and it speaks to me more. It doesn't hurt that it's also one of the strongest songs on TSL. I think it would have been great as a single, especially considering its actuality.

"Coolest" song:

Something Out of Nothing or Take It To the Root or Bus Named Desire?

(Note that it says "coolest", not "best". In other words, you should choose the song that you think best fits the description "cool"—however you define that word—even if it's not your favorite of the three.)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Since no one has answered yet, I'll take the opportunity to add one alternative. Somehow, I forgot to include a song from the epitome of "cool" albums: Hang Time!

So, here's the updated question:

Something Out of Nothing or Take It To the Root or Bus Named Desire or Little Too Clean?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'd have to go with Bus Named Desire for "cool" factor probably because I know how the song originated. Just knowing how seeing a bus with the name Desire on it can make someone write a song about it and make it sound sweet is definitely "cool" to me. If I had to go for best song, I'd probably have to go with Take It To The Root (but they're all ranked pretty close in my opinion).

Next question; favorite of the following narrative story-esque songs:

Artificial Heart, Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid), String of Pearls, Tell Me When
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Next question; favorite of the following narrative story-esque songs:

Artificial Heart, Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid), String of Pearls, Tell Me When
A few years back, I would have had to say Nice Guys, as their isn't much competition, but things have changed since then. After seeing the "band" play Artificial Heart a few years ago, things have been different. That moment was so special, I just can't describe it. The first time Dave and Dan were playing together publicly (I'm pretty sure) since Karl's death, and there couldn't have been a more fitting tribute. I'll never forget the moment at the show when they started that song and looking over at Sarah and we were both like "no way....." I don't know if that moment can or will ever be matched at any other show. From now on I hear that song and think of that moment, and think of Karl.

Next question: Most old-school, "All Is Well", "Bus Named Desire", "Oxygen", or "Slowly Rising"

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I'll say Bus Named Desire on this one—which makes this the second time that it's won in this thread. :) I definitely think it brings them closer to their earlier work than any other song on TSL (and if I'm not mistaken, it's also the only song on the record with a profanity :lol:). Now that I think about it, it's pretty similar to Tied To the Tracks.

I also give it a bonus point for being the ultimate song, hands-down, to put on when you're driving.

This game is great! Moving on...

"Cutest" song—however you define the word:

Marionette or The Sun Maid or Whatcha Need or Grounded or Tea (on Faces & Names) or... Caged Rat!

(So far, only me, Jim, and Phil have replied, but everyone is welcome to join in, of course. And if you don't like someone's selections, just choose the one that fits best and then ask the same question again with whichever new alternatives you think are better. :))