R.I.P. Kevin DuBrow

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
clammers
Social Butterfly

R.I.P. Kevin DuBrow

Post by clammers »

I know many here could care less but some might. Quiet Riot's Metal Health was the first ALBUM I ever purchased. Say what you will about QUIET RIOT but they were a major influence on the world of metal and were one of the first to get it played on the radio. A huge loss to the music world. Throw your horns in the air and BANG YOUR HEAD for Kevin today.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

dcjcycle
Stranger

Post by dcjcycle »

Kevin DuBrow's death is sadder to me than I would have thought, considering that I was never really a fan of Quiet Riot. I never bought any of their records, but since I grew up with MTV, I know all the words to their video hits (Ratt is another band in that category -- it amazes me that I can sing along with "Round and Round" when it comes on the radio).

Anyway, here are two interesting things I learned from QR's Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Riot): 1.) guitarist Randy Rhoads was in QR before they got famous (then he joined Ozzy's band and eventually died in a plane crash) 2.) Metal Health was the first heavy metal album ever to reach number one on the U.S. Billboard charts.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I was pretty shocked as well. My local DJ's were discussing his death after the news hit. They related a recent conversation they had with him about how he had pretty much stopped partying and was taking better care of himself. So, have they released how he died? The DJ's on my local station didn't know at that point.

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

Just announced today...

The Associated Press reports that the death last month of Kevin Dubrow, lead singer for the 1980s heavy metal band QUIET RIOT, has been ruled an accidental cocaine overdose.

Clark County coroner spokeswoman Samantha Charles confirmed the cause Monday (December 10) after toxicology results were received.

This sucks in so many ways. I can't even start to explain how I feel about this.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Thanks for the update, although I can't say it makes me very happy. When I was 19, I lost a 16 year-old friend to a cocaine overdose. That was enough to keep me from trying it, in any form. Most of my students are smart enough to avoid it as well...I teach kids who are on probation. However, it still sells far too well and easily in sunny Florida. As "clammers" put it, "this sucks in so many ways."