the South

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
pathorses
O'Jeezer

the South

Post by pathorses »

We may not get many shows but I'm loving the weather: 80s today!!

I have, however, forgotten what "rain" is........

Pat

Two words...

SNOW BLOWS

"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

but how do you put up with the constant humidity ?!?

:P
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

norma023 wrote:but how do you put up with the constant humidity ?!?

I bitch a LOT!! But only from July until September, that's when it's really hot. The rest of the year is not nearly so bad. The cold is coming, though, supposed to freeze Sunday night.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

pathorses wrote:
norma023 wrote:but how do you put up with the constant humidity ?!?

I bitch a LOT!! But only from July until September, that's when it's really hot. The rest of the year is not nearly so bad. The cold is coming, though, supposed to freeze Sunday night.
a freeze? What exactly is that? I think this month we can measure the time above freezing in minutes... maybe hours.

Phil

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

philipgar wrote:a freeze? What exactly is that? I think this month we can measure the time above freezing in minutes... maybe hours.

Phil
I'm sorry for you; how did you manage that when you first moved from Florida? It must have been rough...What's the secret? Just in case I ever move, I'd like to know how to acclimate.

I'll never forget: when the shuttle driver came to take me to the airport (after the benefit show in MN) he was wearing shorts. He said "It's 53 degrees, it's downright balmy today!" It was so funny and I could tell he meant it. I wasn't freezing by any means but I was layered. I'll never forget that, it was hilarious!

Pat

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

pathorses wrote:
philipgar wrote:a freeze? What exactly is that? I think this month we can measure the time above freezing in minutes... maybe hours.

Phil
I'm sorry for you; how did you manage that when you first moved from Florida? It must have been rough...What's the secret? Just in case I ever move, I'd like to know how to acclimate.

I'll never forget: when the shuttle driver came to take me to the airport (after the benefit show in MN) he was wearing shorts. He said "It's 53 degrees, it's downright balmy today!" It was so funny and I could tell he meant it. I wasn't freezing by any means but I was layered. I'll never forget that, it was hilarious!

Pat
Hell, I remember a time last year after a particularly painful week where it barely got above zero. When it finally got up to 20 outside, it felt warm and balmy. I mean you didn't want to wear shorts outside, but it was tempting to take off your jacket, and forget about the hat and gloves for a change.

Getting used to the cold really isn't that bad. I grew up in tampa, but moved to PA for my undergrad. Now PA isn't really cold by any stretch. If it got into the teens it was considered abnormal, and really cold. Madison is much colder, but it's really not so bad. You just grow used to it. After living out here, you learn to wear a jacket, hat and gloves, and for the really cold days (especially if it's windy) you wear a scarf to cover up whatever remains of your face. Oh, also the flannel lined jeans are a must. Of course, I think i love the cold, and unless it's extremely brutal outside, I refuse to wear a sweater or sweat shirt (or really anything long sleeved). Once you're used to the weather it's not so bad. The only thing that starts to suck is all the snow and ice, and watching where you step. The other weird thing that takes getting used to is going outside, and it's a bright sunny day, not a cloud in sight, and it's 2 degrees. Those are always a bit disturbing.

Phil

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I've mentioned this elsewhere, I think, but as a Florida native, 60 degrees is cold to me! It has dipped into the 50's the last two nights and I went to work wearing double layers and a thick jacket! My husband and I are looking to move OUT of Florida...but he seriously questions my ability to deal with anything cooler than tropical weather! I happen to thrive in humidity! I HAVE lived in colder weather. My parents shifted me all over the North and Northeastern states for several years when I was but a babe (as in infant). But, we settled back into South Florida thirty years ago and haven't budged since! My husband is from New Jersey. He loves cooler weather. His comfort zone is at a considerably lower temperature than mine, which can lead to "thermostat wars". So, Philip, you are suggesting that adjusting to extreme climate change is truly possible? You give me hope!

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

g8trcarol wrote:I've mentioned this elsewhere, I think, but as a Florida native, 60 degrees is cold to me! It has dipped into the 50's the last two nights and I went to work wearing double layers and a thick jacket! My husband and I are looking to move OUT of Florida...but he seriously questions my ability to deal with anything cooler than tropical weather! I happen to thrive in humidity! I HAVE lived in colder weather. My parents shifted me all over the North and Northeastern states for several years when I was but a babe (as in infant). But, we settled back into South Florida thirty years ago and haven't budged since! My husband is from New Jersey. He loves cooler weather. His comfort zone is at a considerably lower temperature than mine, which can lead to "thermostat wars". So, Philip, you are suggesting that adjusting to extreme climate change is truly possible? You give me hope!
I can't quite say that I thrive on the humidity but I think Phil might be the exception to the rule.......Below 50 degrees is cold to me (but I'm north of FL) and 80 is my favorite. I seriously doubt that I could do what Phil did: I can't imagine ever getting used to the really cold (not cool like we Southerners get) weather like he has. Hopefully, I'm wrong but brrrrrrrr! Y'all stay warm and bundle up!

Pat

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

philipgar wrote:
pathorses wrote:

Phil

Pat
Once you're used to the weather it's not so bad. The only thing that starts to suck is all the snow and ice, and watching where you step. The other weird thing that takes getting used to is going outside, and it's a bright sunny day, not a cloud in sight, and it's 2 degrees. Those are always a bit disturbing.

Phil
I actually love the cold, too. The air seems fresher and I like the briskness of it all. I just don't like strong icy winds. A light icy wind I can live with. And those sunny days that are icy, I love them. It beats the grey, drab dullness of most of the winter around Atlanta.