Your Most Recent Show?

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Educatrix
Caged Rat

Your Most Recent Show?

Post by Educatrix »

I went to a show last night, and it got me wondering what bands y'all have gone to see recently - and what you thought of the performances.

Last night I saw Ludichrist and Agnostic Front (both hardcore punk bands, for those unfamiliar) at a small local venue. I'm more a fan of Ludichrist (disagree with the viewpoints espoused in some AF songs), but stuck around for both sets.There were some sound issues early on, but they were resolved by a couple songs in. Both bands are a bit like SA, in that they've been around for decades, but still put on shows as though they're in their 20's.

Enthusiastic, friendly crowd, aside from the drunken, bloody-faced guy we saw as we approached the club; it seemed he was none too happy that he'd been tossed. Punched a couple windows, actually. Inside, since the rest of the crowd was pretty cool, the security guys were as well - they let the pit do its thing as long as no one got violent, per se. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether this place will allow another hardcore show, due to the incident with the angry, drunk guy.

So, let's hear it: What've you gone to see lately, and how was it?

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Your Most Recent Show?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

My most recent show was the Jayhawks, two weeks ago in Brooklyn, NY. I met up with some people from the Jayhawks Fan Page and we had a great time.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I didn't even know they were playing, I don't think - and right in Williamsburg, too.... Oh, well. Glad you guys had a good time, at least!

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

I saw Local H at the Triple Rock in Minnepolis on Oct. 3rd. I have seen them 4 times before that. They were a band from the 90's that never let me down as far as albums and shows go. Last week's gig was fucking awesome, and there latest album Hallelujah, I'm a Bum is also awesome. I think they covered a Replacements song, but it was a more obscure b-side or something. He said this is for the replacements or by the replacements, the tune sounded very familiar but it wasn't a track I could quickly put a name to, and my brain has already forgot what words were sung. I was right up front and the Band is a Duo, it was great and I was really impressed by how personable and approachable Frontman Scott Lucas was. He chatted with the crowd quite a bit, and at the end of their set, we crowd surfed him to the merchandise table, which is a regular thing for him, and he proceeded to sell and sign stuff till the bar closed, close to an hour later. It was impressive and I have to say, he really sold a lot of stuff. That's a working band for you. In my opinion, this band is one of the few bands that kept going at it hardcore since the Alternative Heyday ended. Check them out sometime, and bring earplugs!
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

I just came back from Hardly Strictly Bluesgrass in San Francisco. A very fun, but long 3 days... Trying to remember the exact bands I saw there (only listing bands I went specifically to see, and not ones I saw waiting for shows):

1. Chuck Prophet
2. Patterson Hood and the ramblers
3. Jon Langford and his sadies
4. Elvis Costello
5. Justin Townes Earle
6. Jerry Jeff Walker
7. The Flatlanders
8. Lucero
9. Son Volt
10. Nick Lowe
11. Todd Snider

Guess that wasn't a bad 3 days of music...

Phil

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

My most recent show was supposed to be Norah Jones but I got too sick to go so by default my last show was a John Oates solo show in Wisconsin. He puts on an entertaining show, has a lot of solo material and makes me laugh. John's a good guy and I'm glad to see him doing well on his own.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I've been to a couple shows in the past week; one was my bag, while the other was really more for my husband:

A week ago, we went to see Public Image Ltd - that show, my husband was the interested party and I tagged along because I like going to shows with him and thought it'd be interesting to see John Lydon perform. It was a great performance, although I felt it dragged a bit, as a few songs were overly long remixes (e.g. they dragged out "Religion" for 17 minutes). I assume I'd have a higher opinion if I was more familiar with PiL, as my husband thought it was awesome.

Last night, we went to see the second show of New Order's two night stand at Roseland. That, we both thought was awesome. The wheelchair seating was a both fantastic (in front of the first row!) and bit awkward (allthe way stage left, so the screens in back were obscured by amps and such). They sounded incredible, though, and the vibe was joyous.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I saw Toad the Wet Sprocket at Infinity Hall in CT last weekend.

I only know handful of their songs, but I found the show rather boring. They have very little stage presence; so it took ~40 minutes before they started to get going.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Los Lobos; before that was Gordon Lightfoot. Upcoming: RNDM (including Joseph Arthur and Jeff Ament), The Who, and was going to see Gary Louris but he cancelled his tour.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Yeah, I was going to see Gary Louris too. Hope he gets better soon.