2008 announced Tour Dates

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
pathorses
O'Jeezer

Re: 2008 announced Tour Dates

Post by pathorses »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:When I went on a road trip with someone I knew online but hadn't met in person yet, my parents were initially concerned. However both myself and my online friend had mutual friends we'd met at SA shows, and those mutual friends didn't say anything that raised red flags, so we figured we were safe.

I think all the other times I met my internet friends for the first time, it was in public, like at a show or at a school.
Same here, I went to my first show based on what I knew from this board and then to MN for the "Tribute to Karl" show. I've never had a bad experience, either! SA fans are great so let's keep it going!

By the way, great to meet you in Pittsburgh, Sarah!
Pat

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Here is a website for the Orlando Guitar Town:

http://www.gibson.com/OrlandoGuitarTown ... itar-Town/

The store is brand new and officially opening on Sept. 20th, so that may be why it's hard to get info on the show. If I could plan my visit to Florida then, it would be cool to go to the show. If it's an in-store thing, that would be awesome!

This may be why Dave is whining about Fender giving him a sponsorship... perhaps Gibson are hooking the group up with Gibsons! Or it could just be a gig. Either way, it's about an 8 hr. drive, so I'll have to see if gas doesn't go through the roof between now and then.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Ladies, all my friends and loved ones know I'm obsessed with Soul Asylum. They sent me here to cure me, thinking I'd stop talking about the band to them. Y'all have merely enabled my obsession and now they have to hear about what YOU think of the band, too. So that really didn't work out as they intended.

As to reactions, I've gotten sneaky over the years. If I want advice about an adventure, I only ask adventurous people what they think. I leave non-adventurous people out of the loop and tell them about it when I get back. :)

Actually, right after I first saw the posting for the St. Louis date and was moping to a younger friend about not being able to go, he said, "Why don't you see if anyone else on your site is going and try to ride with them? Isn't there another Kansas City person on there?" When I was hesitant, he suggested I meet her first and see how it went. So, he basically thinks I'm lame for waiting this long to take his suggestion.

Zany, I went to my first ever Soul Asylum show last October all by myself because I don't know any other fans. Of course, I was in my hometown where I know my way around, so it was a bit different than your situation. But it was worth it.

I had a blast.

A security guard chatted me up on the way in and on the way out.

The only letdown (other than no encore even though SA headlined) was not having anyone to rehash the show with when it was over. There I was with ringing ears and starry eyes and no one to gush to. Then the security guard came over to ask if I had a good time. And he said, "Yeah, those guys are pretty good." There's an understatement.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:As to reactions, I've gotten sneaky over the years. If I want advice about an adventure, I only ask adventurous people what they think. I leave non-adventurous people out of the loop and tell them about it when I get back. :)
i like that advice - in college the first time i went caving/spelunking i told my mom i was going on a "hiking trip" and afterwards told her i was really caving.

my first SA concert (last month) i dragged my sisterinlaw who only knew runaway train. she didn't seem as impressed as me and in the car ride home as i gushed to her she was just makign fun of me and asking if we could please listen to anything other than more SA for the ride. i said no.

ANYWays at the show we met 2 guys who'd driven from new hampshire (to CT) for a monday night show and were going to drive back again that night. that's really far. i saw sisterinlaw last weekend and she was making fun of me and those guys to somebody else, and i'm thinking in the back of my mind... ack!! i've turned into those guys! i want to drive across FL to see them 2 months later! i didn't tell her about that...

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

no1rockfan wrote:Here is a website for the Orlando Guitar Town:

http://www.gibson.com/OrlandoGuitarTown ... itar-Town/

The store is brand new and officially opening on Sept. 20th, so that may be why it's hard to get info on the show. If I could plan my visit to Florida then, it would be cool to go to the show. If it's an in-store thing, that would be awesome!

i'm not sure if it's really a "store" (if so do you see the address anywhere??) sounds more like a 'thing' like a bunch of people got together artist to do the guitars and schedule some events related to them like the sept 20th event..??

i'm hoping after the sept 20th thing, there'll be more info on the site...?

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:ANYWays at the show we met 2 guys who'd driven from new hampshire (to CT) for a monday night show and were going to drive back again that night. that's really far. i saw sisterinlaw last weekend and she was making fun of me and those guys to somebody else, and i'm thinking in the back of my mind... ack!! i've turned into those guys! i want to drive across FL to see them 2 months later! i didn't tell her about that...
Please. I saw them in KC (hometown) in June. When I found out they were playing at Lake of the Ozarks some three hours away exactly ONE MONTH later, I made my best friend drive down with me so I could see them again. Now, two months after that, I want to drive to St. Louis to see them again.

Even worse, if I'd had the money, I would have been happy to fly to Chicago to see them in August.

I've become one of those people. Believe me, even I didn't see this coming. Soul Asylum just gets to you that way.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

CrazyLittleWoman

I went to my first ever Soul Asylum show last October all by myself
You to; huh? I can't remember the years; late 90's/ 2000's (somewhere in there), they played Wednesday night...the night before Thanksgiving at First Avenue. I can't remember how many years they did this (anyone know how many years?); but I always went byself and met up with "the crew" after the show.

As much as I now enjoy going with Sara (my beautiful wife); I "secretly" enjoy going byself; I feel I can "rock" out just a little bit more.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Sometime to Return wrote:As much as I now enjoy going with Sara (my beautiful wife); I "secretly" enjoy going byself; I feel I can "rock" out just a little bit more.
Yes, me, too. It's easier to rock out when you feel anonymous.

I enjoyed going by myself so much that I only reluctantly asked a friend to go with me to the subsequent shows. Even then, I warned her that part of the pleasure of these shows was the opportunity to slip out of my daily identity and revert back to a giggly thirteen year old girl with a lead-singer crush and I refuse to feel bad about it. :)

My friend was a good sport about it and it was fun. And I look forward to going to the St. Louis show with another diehard fan. But I did enjoy going by myself and will probably do it again sometime.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hmmm you guys are REALLY trying to sell me on going to the orlando concert alone huh?? just kidding :) who knows - my luck i'll have to work in WPB that weekend in addition to the week. blah.

this is very interesting - i always feel like whoever i bring is detracting from my concert experience because they're not really into it (be it SA or arlo guthrie which are the only concerts i've had to go to with nonfans)
but i always assumed it would be better than going alone. maybe i have to reconsider

i almost went to see arlo guthrie alone when he came 15 mins from my house - however i lost my drive to go see him after i'd seen him the past two years and the setlist and stories hadn't changed up. when i couldnt' find anybody to go (i didn't want to drag my husband again he'd gone w/ me to the 2nd one) i decided not to go alone afterall.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I've gone to shows alone if there's no one to go with and I really want to go. It kind of sucks not having people to talk to before hand. I've also dragged non-fans to shows (sometimes more for company on the drive to the show than during the show itself), but I always worry that the non-fans will not like the show and I will have to hear about it on the way home. Luckily this hasn't been a problem for me yet.