What do you listen to apart from Soul Asylum?

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
lucy
Social Butterfly

Re: What do you listen to apart from Soul Asylum?

Post by lucy »

I don't think I ever responded to this. A lot of the usual suspects and some others. Here are a few:
Minneapolis bands - Husker Du / Sugar/ Bob Mould, Replacements, Golden Smog, Gear Daddies etc
Maritime - from Milwaukee, Matt Pond PA , X / Exene / John Doe / Knitters, Morphine / Twinemen, Riverboat Gamblers,
Bad Brains, some old punk bands, Lucero, Foo Fighters, Mogwai, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Kings of leon, Minus the Bear, Sea Wolf, , Los Campesinos
There are a lot more, but there is a sampling.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I totally forgot to include the foo fighters in my original post! But then again, it is so hard to include everything & everyone...

Peace,
Carol

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I'm going to post the only artist I have in my playlist (and there are just few):

Toto (Steve Lukather - whoa)
Soul Asylum
Eagles (who doesn't?)
Soul Asylum
Fleetwood Mac (the Stevie Nicks gen)
Soul Asylum
10,000 Maniacs (hey,nobody mentioned this - they are a great alternative band, their Unplugged was best!)
Soul Asylum
America (Inspector Mills... hehehe)
Soul Asylum
Bee Gees (the 60s Bee Gees please)
Soul Asylum
Bon Jovi (few songs only)
Soul Asylum
KISS (they have the make-up that puts MAC to shame)
Soul Asylum
The Cars (New Wave baby)
Soul Asylum
Blondie (One way or another, I wanna get you get you...)
Soul Asylum
The Cranberries (but just a few songs)
Soul Asylum
Filipino alternative bands (but they sound so eerily like Soul Asylum)
Soul Asylum
Queen (again, who doesn't?)
Soul Asylum
Rush (again, few songs)
Soul Asylum
Pink Floyd (probably the most creative/weirdest musicians yet)
Soul Asylum
Carlos Santana (fusion rock,latin,blues)
Soul Asylum (pure rock band)
Spyro Gyra (smooth jazz)
Soul Asylum (smooth rockstars)
(I forgot) Dire Straits! (fave band next to Soul Asylum)

-will update more, probably another 10 miniature Soul Asylum-
Last edited by lune ellise on Sat May 17, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Being from Minnesota: I loved the "Minneapolis scene" from the early/ mid 80's to the early 90's. Soul Asylum, The replacements, Trip Shakespeare, The Gear Daddies, Babes in Toyland, Prince, The Jayhawks etc...was the stuff I was really into. Still listen to a lot of the Replacements and Prince.

I like some "classic rock" and "classic country" as well; but I am really picky on who I like and don't like. Led Zeppelin (my all time favorite), The Doors, The Who, AC/DC (when I don't want to think), Rush and Thin Lizzy are some of my favortie "classic rock" acts. Johnny Cash, Waylon, Hank and Jerry Jeff Walker are some of my favorite "classic country acts." Sometimes; I even through in a Bach or a beethoven or a Mozart cd.

Also; I listen/ like Alice in Chains, The Jesus and the Mary Chain, Matthew Sweet, The Smashing Pumpkins, Collective Soul and Del Amitri.

For the most part; I hated the "hair bands" of the 80's. Bands like Poison, Brittany Fox, Faster Pussycat, Great White, White Lion, Europe etc...Damn near ruined music for me. There were a few I liked but it's limited strictly to Tesla, Cinderella, Dokken, Metallica and Motley.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

RadioGuy
Marionette

Post by RadioGuy »

The Polphonic Spree -
The Cars -
Titanic Love Affair -
Wool-
Drive By Truckers -
Tom Petty -
OASIS -
P-Funk

NJ Misery
Inmate

Post by NJ Misery »

-Black Sabbath
-Deep Purple
-Genesis
-Judas Priest
-Iron Maiden
-Kittie
-Life of Agony
-Nightwish
-Lacuna Coil
-Poison
-Motley Crue
-UFO
-AC/DC
-Overkill
-Megadeth
-Cinderella
so many more

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sometime to Return wrote:
I like some "classic rock" and "classic country" as well; but I am really picky on who I like and don't like. Led Zeppelin (my all time favorite), The Doors, The Who, AC/DC (when I don't want to think), Rush and Thin Lizzy are some of my favortie "classic rock" acts. Johnny Cash, Waylon, Hank and Jerry Jeff Walker are some of my favorite "classic country acts." Sometimes; I even through in a Bach or a beethoven or a Mozart cd.

Glad to see others on here who like the "classic" or outlaw country. I love some of those acts, of course your missing Willie on that list (you can't have the highwaymen without him). Jerry Jeff has always been one of my favorites from that, his texas style is great, and I even enjoy his more recent albums.

Lately I've been getting into a few other artists from that genre, albeit a bit newer. I've been on a Billy Joe Shaver kick lately (I just started listening to him a few weeks ago), he dates back to the 70s, and also have listened to enough Steve Earle, who is stuck somewhere between the outlaw country and alt-country scene.

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

philipgar
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Glad to see others on here who like the "classic" or outlaw country. I love some of those acts, of course your missing Willie on that list (you can't have the highwaymen without him). Jerry Jeff has always been one of my favorites from that, his texas style is great, and I even enjoy his more recent albums.

Lately I've been getting into a few other artists from that genre, albeit a bit newer. I've been on a Billy Joe Shaver kick lately (I just started listening to him a few weeks ago), he dates back to the 70s, and also have listened to enough Steve Earle, who is stuck somewhere between the outlaw country and alt-country scene.

Phil

Phil

Long story... But; A friend of mine and myself finagled ourselves to a private Jerry Jeff show at Mayslack's (a small bar) in Northeast Minneapolis around Christmas 2005. There were about 150 people there. The "band" was Jerry Jeff, a chair, 2 amps and a guitar. Pretty cool, man, pretty cool.

Before and after the show; he mingled in the bar area with the crowd. I would say most people there didn't know his music or who he was. We didn't bother him before the show but after the show; he, myself and my buddy sat at the bar, beers in hand for about 15 minutes before he had to get into the limo and "get the hell out of this frozen tundra." (Jerry Jeff's reference to the weather).

My buddy and I still talk about that almost 3 years later.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sometime to Return wrote: Long story... But; A friend of mine and myself finagled ourselves to a private Jerry Jeff show at Mayslack's (a small bar) in Northeast Minneapolis around Christmas 2005. There were about 150 people there. The "band" was Jerry Jeff, a chair, 2 amps and a guitar. Pretty cool, man, pretty cool.

Before and after the show; he mingled in the bar area with the crowd. I would say most people there didn't know his music or who he was. We didn't bother him before the show but after the show; he, myself and my buddy sat at the bar, beers in hand for about 15 minutes before he had to get into the limo and "get the hell out of this frozen tundra." (Jerry Jeff's reference to the weather).

My buddy and I still talk about that almost 3 years later.
Wow, that sounds awesome. I've never gotten to see him live, but I'm sure his shows have to be great, and to see him in such a small setting. Sucks that the crowd wasn't as into it, but it still had to be awesome.

Although, thinking about the recent reports of the SA show, sometimes the shows where no one knows the band can be awesome as well. It's great to see the guys just fucking around sometime, and having fun. I know SA tends to use those shows to introduce new material, or just play lots of cover songs (thinking back to the end of the ill-fated CFAS tour with MB20).

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

philipgar

Wow, that sounds awesome.

It was. I have seen Jerry Jeff with his whole band about a 1/2 dozens times; he always puts on a great show and the crowd really gets into it. Nothing like a bunch of "rednecks" (a term of endearment here) singing "Pissing in the wind," "Redneck mother" and "Sangria wine."

He is playing in Minneapolis on August 23rd. I have a ticket but I am not sure I will be able to use it. Argh!! If I go; I will report back.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.