Digital vs. Physical Releases of Music

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Digital vs. Physical Releases of Music

Post by OneLovedBand »

Just wondering what everyone's preference is for music format: digital or physical? Both have their strengths & weaknesses. For me I prefer a physical release & I will fully admit that a lot of it has to do with my age & what I grew up with. One of my favorite passtimes was going from record store to record store & when I finally found a gem it was quite a rush of excitment. I don't get that same high from doing an online search for something. Not challenging enough I guess.

Also, I'm finding I don't like the internet as much as I used to. I liked it initially when it was an addition to what we already had, but now that it's replacing so much of what we have (books, music, etc.) I've found my fondness for it has dropped. I also find it hard to read, understand & keep up with all the changing terms & conditions of websites. Just a plain copyright on a record, I get.

I also like the visual & tactile experience that comes from holding a physical record in your hands. I like reading liner notes & song credits & whatever else the band wants to include too.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Like I said, digital has it's advantages too.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Digital vs. Physical Releases of Music

Post by Closer »

If it is a band or artist I really like then I buy the actual album because the sound can't compete with MP3 quality. But I do download because it's easy and it won't cost me any money to be honest. When you used to hear a band mention another band in an interview or whatever, you actually had to go to the record store and buy their album and if you ended up not liking them you wasted your money. Now you go to youtube and immediately hear if it's your kind of band or not. One of my facebook friends posted a song by the Shins some time ago, and I had never heard of them, but I loved the song... now I own almost all their albums. And I've discovered so many bands this way. That's great about the internet.

I used to love going to record stores too but I haven't been to one in a very long time because there simply aren't any around anymore near me.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i also still like being able to hold a cd in my hand. but then i have to rip the songs to put on my mp3 player so i can always have it with me i love that i can carry my whole music collection in my purse.
but i also like to be able to throw a cd on in the kitchen or even the car cuz sometimes i't nice to be 'forced' to listen to a whole album as it was meant to be heard w/out the temptation to hit 'random' 'shuffle' 'next' 'next''next' which is what i was doing today :) also love to be able to do that too - shuffle through a hundred albums worth of songs on random.
also i like having album liner notes .... what else would we have Dave autograph!?!?!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ps what's the deal with 'autorip' where Amazon automatically gets you the mp3 version if you buy a cd? my husband mentioned he has a lot of 'my' music on his itunes (?) because he bought me the cds for gifts

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I prefer having an actual physical product so I can look at the pictures, lyrics, and liner notes, especially for bands I really like. If I just want one or two songs, I'm ok with buying off Itunes and have done so many times.

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

I am a huge fan of owning physical copies of my music (i've been away from the forum for too long lately, on right now because I'm busy ripping CDs). I have bought a couple mp3s in my life, but the number is in the low double digits I'd imagine (a few were that way because no physical album has been made).

I still mostly buy CDs of music, but lately I've been buying more and more new vinyl; especially vinyl that comes with download codes. I actually rarely listen to physical CDs with the exception of my car. Normally I listen to my music streaming from my google music account (can't begin to describe how awesome it is to store all my mp3s on the cloud and stream them when and where I want), either from the stereo hooked to my TV (I have a set top box that connects to google music), my laptop, or my phone. I also listen to a lot of music in my living room, but that currently only has my record player hooked up to it. I really should hook up an actual CD player as it is right next to the new CD shelf I built to house my collection.

as far as amazon's autorip feature... I absolutely love it. I hate having to sit down at my actual computer anymore (I am in front of multiple computers at work all day long), and wait for them to rip.... especially when you pick up multiple albums at a time. Being able to purchase a CD and listen to it immediately while you wait for it to ship is great. Of course, the most amusing thing about that is when you find a CD for sale on amazon for $9.99 (free 2-day shipping due to amazon prime) listed next to the MP3-only version of the album for $11.99 . . . So I get an actual CD shipped across the country with the mp3s for less than the cost of just the mp3s... What is wrong with this industry? Anyhow, I don't really use any streaming music services, and lately have been buying albums either from friends or band recommendations. I also have the policy that if Last Chance Records releases an album, I need to own it immediately (if you don't know this label, check them out!)

Phil

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I go with whatever gives me more songs..
If equal; I get the cheaper option.

I'd prefer not to buy any more CDs. But, I picked up the CD of "Delayed Reaction" for the four extra songs.