What is the first record you ever bought?

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: What is the first record you ever bought?

Post by Sometime to Return »

I remember this big stereo system my parents had in our family room; it was about 4 feeet tall and about 5 feet wide. You could put albums in the bottom; it contrained the speakers, turntable and tuner etc...

I used to play my parents motown albums (their predominate musical collection) not stop. Jackson 5, Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, Gladys knight, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye etc...along with some Beach Boys and The Beattles.

I share the stereo system story because I remember coming home from K-mart with the first album I ever purchased on my own; so proud that I saved the money to buy it. It was the first Boston album. Although; I no longer have the album I still have the memory.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Off the Deep End (1992) by "Weird Al" Yankovic is the first record I remember buying. My brother had a copy of it, along with a few other of Weird Al albums on cassette. I had no CD player at the time, and it was rare for my older brother to let me in his room, so I'd have to sneak a listen to it everytime he wasn't home. I remember him catching me a few times and he was mad of course for fooling with his expensive stereo, so he hid the disc on me.

Fortunately my brithday was coming around and I got a CD player that year with a couple CDs of oldies music which was what I liked at the time. But the first thing I remember buying with my birthday money was that album. I had to wait until one of my parents had gone to the store to go shopping to buy it. When I did get it and got home, I showed my brother and he almost kicked my butt, cause he thought that was his copy that he had hid on me. I remember him telling me, "If I knew earlier that mom and dad were getting a you CD player, I would have gladly bought that for you instead of that Super Nintendo game you wanted."
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Britney Spears' Baby One More Time

Eraserheads' The Singles. They are a local band (Philippines) if you're wondering. I was 12 then.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

spam
Last edited by samtheslug on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

Don't I feel stupid. I don't remember and it was only a few years ago! It was probably some album by, this is embarrassing, Aaron Carter, Destiny's Child, or maybe even Madonna. If you were to ask what was the first cd I was ever given, it would either be Music by Madonna or Oops... I Did It Again by Britney Spears. I'm pretty sure that I blocked out the ugly memories of ever liking those artists, except maybe Madonna. Now, if you asked me what the last cd I had bought was, it would be In Utero by Nirvana most definitely.

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:Don't I feel stupid. I don't remember and it was only a few years ago! It was probably some album by, this is embarrassing, Aaron Carter, Destiny's Child, or maybe even Madonna. If you were to ask what was the first cd I was ever given, it would either be Music by Madonna or Oops... I Did It Again by Britney Spears. I'm pretty sure that I blocked out the ugly memories of ever liking those artists, except maybe Madonna. Now, if you asked me what the last cd I had bought was, it would be In Utero by Nirvana most definitely.
Haha - Don't feel bad about liking a terrible band - When I was 12 I had like 5 MCR albums. Even worse - I remeber listening to a cheesy boyband called 'Five' when I was 7 :roll:

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

Yeah, I used to love *NYSNC. I think it was because every other girl in my grade loved them and so did my sister. I know that that was not my first album though. I remember sitting on my friend's bed practically drooling over Lance Bass. I even got her a doll that looked like him, and now the Jonas Brothers are planning on taking over the girl population again. At lunch I've been daring another friend to tell the other girls at our table that she hates them, as do I, because they are absolutely in love with them! Who knew high school girls would fall for Disney Channel stars?
Anyway, another possible first cd for me would be Michelle Branch's first album which isn't that bad to listen to. Actually, I think that my first cassette was of those songs that tell stories, but I didn't buy it. I don't think I ever bought a cassette of my own.
I wonder what my sister would say to this question...

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

samtheslug wrote:Even worse - I remember listening to a cheesy boyband called 'Five' when I was 7 :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG ME TOO! I was a big fan of Five when I was 9. I own their 2 records (wasn't there a third released?). I am thankful that I grew past them, because they are cheesy as hell. I would like to add, though, that compared to Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Westlife, (and other boybands that I never like) I think they are OK. Still, I can't believe I was listening to them - I laugh at their songs now(because I remember and couldn't fathom how I can even like those songs before). I also remember liking Britney Spears (first record only) - and Spice Girls...

I wonder what others think of MCR? They never suited me from the beginning...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Saddly, this makes me think back to when I was in Elementary school and had the Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice tapes. Talk about bad stuff....

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

before i bought myself my first album(s) that i already posted on here about, somebody bought me some tapes (my mom?? not sure who) ... paula abdul, and amy grant.
yup. i didn't pick them out but i did listen to them. oh my.

oh no. i must have blocked from my memory but i did have a couple newkids tapes too.. i might not have paid for them but i probably did pick them out. crp i guess that counts as my real answer to this question. i don't like that answer as much as my original answer! oh well :(