Homesick—for real

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Homesick—for real

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Starman lead vocal is Gary Louris, I think.

Radio King...is that Kraig and Jeff?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ok was bored away on the way back from work to the hotel today went to a barnes&noble and listened to a bunch of samples for entertainment - also figured that yeah it's louris who's voice i like on starman and until you came along. tried sampling some jayhawkes stuff but can't decide what i think from the 20sec clips.

thanks mystic. i think it was jeff& somebody else on radio king. don't remember the 2nd.

you can learn a lot at the B&N! (or i can at least which means i have a lot to learn i guess!)

LyndaleExile
Marionette

Post by LyndaleExile »

I haven't gotten over my homesickness. But I have found a few ways to alleviate it a bit.

Walk around town. Urban hiking is the best way to get a feel for a place. You might notice a cool shop you otherwise would have not noticed. You might have a stranger start up a conversation with you. You might find some information about the local history. I know the lay of my new city better than a lot of long time residents because I've walked around the place.

Make new friends. Yeah, it's easier said than done. I'm still working on this one.

Find something cool that home doesn't have. I have a butcher one block away... yeah, I'm still looking for something that tops that in coolness.

I'm not adjusting very well to my new surroundings, but these things have helped a bit.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I definitely agree with you on the urban hiking. I did a lot of that in the first couple of weeks when school hadn't yet started in earnest, and I've actually picked it up again just these past few days. Gothenburg is infinitely larger than my original hometown so there's no shortage of places to explore. There's something fascinating about visiting places that you normally wouldn't have any business in: while you quickly get used to your immediate surroundings and start to find them boring, it's always possible to be a "tourist" just by walking a few blocks or neighborhoods away. The people in those places find their own surroundings boring, but to you it's always brand-new.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com