annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by zany »

rambling is GOOD. i like it. i'm surprised you can be ramble-y AND good at essay writing. i HATE writing stuff for school. (i was[am] a math/sci nerd)
i always used to write them in the random order i think in which isn't usually best for an essay :) but that's cool that you can do well at that.

i'm the youngest too and most babied. i'd start fights with my 2 brothers then when they'd start to hurt me i'd call for mommy. i've been dangled by my ankles once.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

zany wrote:rambling is GOOD. i like it. i'm surprised you can be ramble-y AND good at essay writing. i HATE writing stuff for school. (i was[am] a math/sci nerd)
i always used to write them in the random order i think in which isn't usually best for an essay :) but that's cool that you can do well at that.

i'm the youngest too and most babied. i'd start fights with my 2 brothers then when they'd start to hurt me i'd call for mommy. i've been dangled by my ankles once.
The worst I've gotten is a bloody nose from my sister and because of other fights between my brother and sister(which weren't that bad) my dad tore up the 100th issue of Nintendo Power(not very nice of him) and broke a video game, then fixed it.
I'm good at essay writing, just as long as I write the essay over and over again. I tend to get very confusing in my writing and the only reason that I love writing is because I love staring at my handwriting. Plus, I'm a huge geek when it comes to math. I actually got a perfect score on my algebra regents this year(I'm not trying to rub that in any of your faces!). Plus, math really goes along with reading music which I've been able to do since I was four. I also love science and was really into health this year. I really can't wait for school this year, and the first day is only hours away! Yes!! (I'm not the third definition of a geek, by the way. I have never, nor will I ever, perform disgusting acts such as biting the head off of a live chicken)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hah math bragging is fine i used to be sooo smart... i feel dumber now grad school was harder for me than hs or undergrad.
anyways you should be an acoustics engineer i've decided. I have a friend who does that it sounds cool.

ok so about reading music - i learned how to read music in an early age in music class and i find that easy. however i always sucked big time at playing instruments (tried clarinet in middleschool band and first yr hs but i was awful and hated practicing. but i was a total band-geek. i joined color/winter guard once they started one at our school which was perfect so i could hang out w/ my bandgeek friends but not have to play an instrument and i looooved guard. too bad it doesn't carry over well to an adult hobby.) anyways, when i sang in school chorus reading music was helpful, but ohterwise it just seems like a waste to be good at that and not good at an instrument.

also - in rockband the singing part comes on the screen with a bar that goes higher for higher pitch etc. but it's not on a staff and i wish it was because it doesn't seem like the notes make sense sometimes. and i don't have good range and most songs are guys so i have to sometimes up the song an octave.. it's weird.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:hah math bragging is fine i used to be sooo smart... i feel dumber now grad school was harder for me than hs or undergrad.
anyways you should be an acoustics engineer i've decided. I have a friend who does that it sounds cool.

ok so about reading music - i learned how to read music in an early age in music class and i find that easy. however i always sucked big time at playing instruments (tried clarinet in middleschool band and first yr hs but i was awful and hated practicing. but i was a total band-geek. i joined color/winter guard once they started one at our school which was perfect so i could hang out w/ my bandgeek friends but not have to play an instrument and i looooved guard. too bad it doesn't carry over well to an adult hobby.) anyways, when i sang in school chorus reading music was helpful, but ohterwise it just seems like a waste to be good at that and not good at an instrument.

also - in rockband the singing part comes on the screen with a bar that goes higher for higher pitch etc. but it's not on a staff and i wish it was because it doesn't seem like the notes make sense sometimes. and i don't have good range and most songs are guys so i have to sometimes up the song an octave.. it's weird.
Oh, I'm not too good at playing instruments either, not the ones I like anyway. I'm really good at the flute, I was good at piano, but I haven't played in four years, and I'm absolutely dreadful when it comes to the violin, but that's the one I really like. String instruments are my thing, it just so happens that I'm bad at my thing.
I've already been thinking about this, and I want to be a psychiatrist. Mental illness is fun! Plus it's science related.
The singing part of Rock Band sounds kind of like Karaoke Revolution, which my sister has for her Gamecube. They don't even say who sings them on that game. Me, I'm more of a Donkey Konga person. I always use the controller instead of the bongos, though. I don't really like the clapping part.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ooh you should poke around at the piano once in awhile that seems like something that's always cool to be able to play a little something at. my mom tried to teach me on a keyboard but i was awful once you add the 2nd hand.
i wanted to try drumming at one point and took home a practice thingy (that doens't make much noise forget what it's called) but i couldn't get the hang of doing a drum roll in a week so i gave up. i'm not very dedicated :) i only stick with stuff i'm good at right away. when we were bored in bio my friend taught me the simple drum part for the 'hey song' they'd play at football games and i still know it and tap it when i'm fidgety.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

zany wrote:i feel dumber now grad school was harder for me than hs or undergrad.
You are not the only one who has felt that way. Check out www.phdcomics.com for a laugh.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Nicole, you're welcome. :)

Three weeks ago, I left the states behind, albeit temporarily, and went back to my birth country to work. I had to leave the majority of my cd collection behind, and only brought my tiny Soul Asylum collection with me.

My sister was nice enough to copy as many albums as possible onto my flash drives. I was able to bring about 4 GB of music with me, but when I tried to play it here, it wasn't working. When I went to visit my aunt, I gave my cousin one of the drives to see if he could figure it out. He was able to play them with the Nokia Music Player. I'd downloaded the "rare" SA songs (thanks Jim!) onto that drive so my cousin heard them too. I'm back at my aunt's house today and when I saw my cousin again earlier, he told me that he liked the songs. In his words, they're very "melodic." He was hoping "Runaway Train" was on that drive, but it wasn't...now he's looking to hear it. He's heard of it but never heard it. If I'd only brought my SA collection with me! But I'm definitely getting online somehow and playing it for him tomorrow, that is, if he doesn't hear it in the next 20 hours. He liked Chains (The Wad) too (posted here somewhere, thanks again. :D ) and I'm playing Faces and Names for him tomorrow. Didn't get to that today though it's on my itunes playlist.

Meanwhile, I figured out that only ITunes plays my songs successfully so next, I'll copy the songs onto my laptop so I can hear them anytime without having to plug in my flash drive. I haven't been on the past few days so didn't get around to it. In the midst of a one-way conversation. In fact, listening to it now. :-D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:ooh you should poke around at the piano once in awhile that seems like something that's always cool to be able to play a little something at. my mom tried to teach me on a keyboard but i was awful once you add the 2nd hand.
i wanted to try drumming at one point and took home a practice thingy (that doens't make much noise forget what it's called) but i couldn't get the hang of doing a drum roll in a week so i gave up. i'm not very dedicated :) i only stick with stuff i'm good at right away. when we were bored in bio my friend taught me the simple drum part for the 'hey song' they'd play at football games and i still know it and tap it when i'm fidgety.
I despise the piano, but I do sometimes play it, mostly because the guitar player in orchestra(yes, so strange that we actually have a classical guitarist!!) knows three instruments, too, and he can actually play them well. I used to be the best in my grade until he joined(yeah, and I suck, so that tells you how bad our school is, although we always win at the Music in the Parks). I really was the only one who knew every major scale and knew the note names without thinking. Now I just feel stupid. Stupid guitar player!!!(of course not all of them are all bad)
I usually can't sit still, but I hold it in while I'm in school. I tend to spin around in my chair a lot and check who's on this site about every five minutes both because my life is so boring and I'm not that patient, although my tech(my school's equivalent to wood shop) teacher last year thought I was very patient, mostly because I always had questions about what I was supposed to be doing. I really am not good with wood, but my rocket was great(stupid kid forgot to take the angle that it flew up at, though, so my teacher ended up making up a number, which was probably incorrect because it did worse than my neighbor's. I'm still wondering what the actual height of my rocket was, but I tend to be bad luck!!).

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

so nicole --- replying from the rockband post here ---

sorry about your dog that's sad :( my friend is almost done w/ learning how to be a veterinary oncologist. must be a sad job but i guess she must think she'll like it.

i'm not an animal lover but i understand why other people love them. there have been... a couple dogs i'm 'fond of' i guess is the way to say it. i still don't like if they lick my ankles. ew.
one was named Arlo and lived next door growing up. later on i found out he was named after arlo guthrie my favorite musician... which is random. but he was old so didn't jump or do much and so was the first dog i wasn't scared of.
other was my close friend growing up's dog, he grew on me after awhile since i spent a lot of time there. i was sad when he died. i definitely got to know his personality and all.
(my husband's family has a hot-dog, she's OK and doesn't jump up on me anymore, but i don't feel any connection to her)

ps mr. pepper is a terrific dog name

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Pepper is actually a female who goes by Pepper Ann, Pep, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper(my favorite soda), or just plain old Pepper. I was five when I named her in the car going back to my house. My brother and sister wanted us to wait, but they could have just come with us(at the time we had a van which my brother eventually totaled). She's named that because my mom started talking about her cat Pepper from her childhood who died after getting it's tail bitten off.
My friend actually wants to be a vet, but she doesn't want to have to put the animals down(which will probably happen to Pepper).
If you want to read more sad animal stories I posted stuff about my pets in the Do You Have Pets? thread. I wrote some pretty sad stuff there. It was not a good year to be a pet in my household.