Best Albums of 2008

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Best Albums of 2008

Post by philipgar »

Well, the year is ending (no more tuesday's left to release new music), so I want to come up with a list of what I think are the best albums of 2008. I picked up a bunch of new albums this year, and choosing which are the best is a tough decision. I don't think I can really narrow it down to just 10 albums, so instead all list all the ones I bought, and mention when ones weren't too impressive in my opinion. Some I bought on a whim, but most are by bands or artists I've been familiar with. I can't really say this is the best ordering of them either, as it changes every day. A few are definitely in the right spots as I don't find myself returning to them.

Anyhow, here's my attempt at making sense of this years releases:

1. Paul Westerberg - 49:00
What can I say? When Paul released this album online for 49 cents, I had no clue what to expect, and no real expectations. The first listen it seemed really rough, but the more I listened to it, the more i fell in love with it. I might even list this as my favorite Paul solo album, although I'll need more time to say for sure. While Paul released more solo tracks as the year progressed, none matched the beast that is 49:00. I just wish it could get an official release, with 5:05 as a bonus track.
2. Marah - Angels of Destruction
Marah's new album really impressed me. I think i would list this as my favorite of Marah's CDs, even beating out Kids In Philly. This album just packs such a punch. Their last couple albums hadn't impressed me as much, but this one is one of the best I've heard in a long time.
3. Gary Louris - Vagabonds
Gary led the Jayhawks for years (and before that coled them with Mark Olson). This is his first solo album, and It's got some great stuff on it. The more I listen to it, the more the tracks tend to stick to me. Not quite up at the level of his Jayhawks material, and I'm looking forward to the Olson/Louris album next year even more, but definitely worth listening to if you're a fan of the Jayhawks.
4. Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creations Dark
After the last few Trucker's albums, I was about ready to give up on them. They just seemed to be dull to me. They weren't bad, but they never grabbed my attention like Southern Rock Opera or Decoration Day did. I picked up their new one anyhow, and I am definitely glad I did. This album just blew me away. I particularly love Self Destructive Zones. It really defines the alt-rock scene of the 90s so well.
5. Old 97's - Blame It On Gravity
Rhett and Company are in fine form on this album. Also one of their best albums in quite a few years, and a nice return to their roots. Good catchy songs that are just fun. Great album
6. John Hiatt - Same Old Man
Until this year, I had never heard of John Hiatt. After this year I have picked up over 10 of his albums. I hadn't picked up his newest album until just a few weeks ago, so I haven't had a chance to really let it sink in. I've been listening to it quite a bit, and it definitely has staying power. I think I prefer his previous album (Master of Disaster) slightly more then this one, but that's definitely not slighting his current release. Just great rock and roll, by an old timer.
7. Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal
Before picking up Real Animal, I only had one other Alejandro album. I wasn't all that enthused about his music, but decided to pick up his new one when it came out. It is a phenomenal album. The more I listened to it, the more I really dug it. It's got quite a few rockers on it that are just awesome. i was also glad to have caught him twice in concert this year.
8. Kathleen Edwards - Asking For Flowers
I picked up this album on a whim as well. I had read many people saying it was really good, listened to a couple songs off it at the record store, and gave it a try. She has a great voice, and puts out good folk rock music. I also caught her in concert this year, and was quite impressed. I still need to pick up some of her older albums.
9. Jordan Zevon - Insides Out
I picked this album up somewhat randomly. It was on my "if it says new west on it, I'll give it a try" kick. Jordan is the son of the legendary Warren Zevon. Like his father, he's also a great songwriter, and knows how to play. Well worth checking him out if you're into this sort of music.
10. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cardinology
Ryan tends to be hit or miss to me. When he takes his time, there are some real gems. i really liked last years easy tiger and follow the lights. This one follows in the same style. Worth checking out.
11. Lucinda Williams - Little Honey
Lucinda's newest work. Similar to much of her other work, although this includes a beautiful duet with Elvis Costello on it. It's kind of a more "happy" album than some of her others, but it has a good sound to it, and worth checking out.
12. Ray Davies - Working Man's Cafe
Ray Davies was the leader of the Kinks. While I hadn't heard too much of The Kinks output (i'm in the process of remedying that now), I had heard a lot of good things about his newest solo album. It includes catchy rock songs that still rock. I only picked it up recently so my placement of it is hard to put.
13. Dar Williams - Promised Land
I picked this album up not long after it came out. Unfortunately I still haven't given it enough listens to really judge it. It's a fairly good album, and remember liking it when I heard it. Much more folky than a lot of what I listen to, but Dar has a good voice, and puts out good music.
14. Mudcrutch - Mudcrutch
Tom Petty reformed his original band this year for the Mudcrutch album. While basically the same thing as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, it does have more of a band feel to it. In my opinion, Petty is one of the most consistent artists over the past 20 years. Everything he's put out has impressed me.
15. Teddy Thompson - A Piece of What You Need
Richard Thompson's son Teddy put out a new album. While I prefer his dad's material, Teddy's solo albums are pretty good to listen to. He has a much more poppy sound than his dad, but he has to distinguish himself. His new album is pretty good, but I haven't listened to it as much as others. Partially because I've picked up so many incredible albums this year.
16. Justin Townes Earle - The Good Life
Justin is Steve Earle's son. I figured I'd give it a try. It's not a bad album, although I just picked it up recently and haven't listened to it too many times. I'm sure later I'll be better able to judge it.
17. South San Gabriel/Centromatic - Dual Hawks
Maybe I just don't get them for some reason, but Centromatic just hasn't overly impressed me. I saw them in concert, and enjoyed it enough, but I tend to lump their sound with some of Ryan Adam's mediocre albums. I dunno, maybe I haven't been able to get over the lead singers voice, but I just haven't "gotten" it yet. Chances are with more listens this band will join up there with some of my favorites.
18. Bob Mould - District Line
Bob's album isn't bad, but it's not great either. I still pick up all his albums, but I haven't been overly impressed by his last few. This one is kind of unremarkable to me. The last one I really liked a long was the last dog and pony show. That said, I really need to relisten to this album at some point.

So what are everyone else's favorite albums of the year?

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Best Albums of 2008

Post by Closer »

I didn't buy a lot of new albums this year. REM's "Accelerate" sounded very promising at first but I haven't been listening to it a lot anymore.

"Chinese Democracy" will be my favourite album of the year. Even though I've been listening to most of the songs on it already for the last two years, it still sounds incredible. No album is worth a 15 year long wait, but there are some genius moments on it in my opinion.

edabbiati
Stranger

Post by edabbiati »

Hello from a new board member from Italy but long term fan!

Just yesterday i posted on my band's myspace page ( www.myspace.com/lowlandsband forgive the shameless plug!) my personal top 10 for 2008!

We are sharing quite a few names here. This is what i posted:

1 "Dilettantes" – YOU AM I

These Australian legends deliver once again a masterpiece...lyrics that NO ONE is writing out there... hip shaking hooks, a smile and a middle finger coming your way... favourite tracks: "Dilettantes", "Wankers" & "The Piano Up The Tree"

2 "For Emma, Forever Ago" – Bon Iver

This one sounds like a Flaming Lips unplugged record...if Springsteen had been taking acid while writing NEBRASKA or TUNNEL OF LOVE methinks he'd have come up with something like this!

3 "Wagonwheel Blues"- The War on Drugs

The band reminds me about the great past but makes me think i am listening to the future of this music...magical and literate.

4 "Falling Off the Lavender Bridge" by Lightspeed Champion

Everything of this record makes me tap my foot and smile and listen...

5 "Angels of Destruction" - Marah

I have loved MARAH from day one (Let's cut the crap...) and admire all their releases (Float Away too! )This to me was possibly their most original, ambitious and possibly difficult record... There can never be enough bielanko music out there!

6 "MRVSS" – Matthew Ryan

This record contains 2/3 of the years best songs: Dulce et Decorum, Jane I still feel the same & American Dirt.
One of my favourite voices!

7 "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" – John Mellencamp

I can't say that I am a huge fan (when he is good he is great...) of Mellencamp but the lyrics of Longest Days are some of the best i heard this year...brutally honest... and dark.

8 "49:00" & "5:00" – Paul Westerberg

Not sure these are still available or not but thank God for Westerberg and his ever healthy muse! And what a great way to get music out there!

9 "Real Animal" – Alejandro Escovedo

For anyone who loves roots rock it was a tough record to miss or ignore... another great record from Alejandro! Keep 'em coming!

10 "The '59 sound" –Gaslight Anthem / "The Last Pale Light in the West" - Ben Nichols

Lucero's Ben Nichols delivered a wonderful solo album...great writing, melodies and atmospheres...then I heard the 59 sound...and i guess my love for certain atmospheres...between 70s punk and Springsteen made me play that record a lot these past weeks...so it's a draw!

Bubbling under..Rod Picott & Amanda Shires, Drive By Truckers, James McMurtry, Billy Bragg, British Sea Power, Nick cave, Steve Wynn, Southside Johnny & his Tom Waits Duet...

Really loved the Pogues boxset, the Replacements re-issues and Dylan's AMAZING new Bootleg Series issue!

Edward

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I don’t feel I stay on top of new music like I used to even though I want to. But; off the top of my head.

For me; my favorite cd (cd’s) this year is/ are by far and away The Replacement re-issues. Even though I already have all of their cd’s/ cassettes and/or albums the bonus tracks on the cd’s are like finding an extra candy cane (or two) in your stocking.

Metallica—Death Magnetic.

Matthew Sweet—Sunshine lies.

John Hiatt—Same old man. Good but not as good as slow turning, perfectly good guitar, stolen moments, the tiki bar is open, bring the family or walk on. Still as a fan of his for 20 years now; it’s great that he is still putting out new music.

Cloud Cult—Feel good ghosts (tea-partying through tornadoes).

The Jesus and Mary Chain—The power of negative thinking (b-sides and rarities).

The Cure—4:13 dream.

Nick Cave and the Bad seeds—Dig, lazarus, dig.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

THRIVING IVORY - Self-Titled
MOTLEY CRUE - Saints Of Los Angeles
HINDER - Take It To The Limit
DISTURBED - Indestructible
SLIPKNOT - All Hope Is Gone
EYES SET TO KILL - Reach
Last edited by clammers on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Phil;

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee? If you are; John Hiatt is playing the Pabst theater there 2/17/09, food for thought. (Same place Soul Asylum played within the last year or two.)

Back on topic...
Jakob Dylan-- Seeing things. I like it; probably more of an acquired taste but I am a huge Wallflowers fan as well.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sometime to Return wrote:Phil;

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee? If you are; John Hiatt is playing the Pabst theater there 2/17/09, food for thought. (Same place Soul Asylum played within the last year or two.)

Back on topic...
Jakob Dylan-- Seeing things. I like it; probably more of an acquired taste but I am a huge Wallflowers fan as well.
I'm only a 90 minute drive from Milwaukee, so it's not that far. I'm seriously considering making the trip out there depending whats going on at that time.

Phil

levybaxter
Runaway

Post by levybaxter »

This is a great thread. I am responsible for music collection development at a small library and the lists and reviews will be a great help to me. While I had already ordered some of the pics, others were new to me and don't pop up in the usual places. I am anxious to see more pics and reviews. Thanks. I haven't posted to this site before, but I read it daily for inspiration and to see if any show dates have been added. I would like to read more threads like this one - it shows how literate, and in tune, Soul Asylum fans really are. If you think like I do you know that SA music, and the band itself, are right up there with the best. Love to have a new CD by them to listen to.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Did you check out the corresponding thread of last year?

There's also What do you listen to apart from Soul Asylum?. If you look beyond my meager first post, there's really quite a lot in there.

Good luck with the collection!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

OK, here it goes. And if it seems slightly in favor of Twin Cities music, well, what can I say…I live in the best city for music anywhere. Don’t even bother arguing with me on this one.

Jeremy Messersmith – The Silver City – I LOVE this album and his first one. It’s pretty much a tribute to the Twin Cities, and has a great cover of The Replacements “Skyway.”Got my tics to see him this Saturday at the Entry. For those of you not from the Twin Cities, the Entry is the storage closet attached to First Avenue. This and Vampire Weekend are tied for first in my book.

Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend – Just buy it. You’ll love it.

The Jesus and Mary Chain – The Power of Negative Thinking, B-side and Rarities – So, yes, it’s a good chunk of cash for B-sides, but it’s The Jesus and Mary Chain, people! And speaking of J&MC, two bands with a similar fuzzed out sound, one old and one new, came out with two of my fav songs of 2008. The Magnetic Fields – Drive On, Driver and GlasVegas – Geraldine.

Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago – When I feel like cheesing out.

Old 97’s – Blame It on Gravity – Amazing show at First Ave this past summer.

The Hopefuls – Now Playing at the One-Seat Theater - Sure, it’s pop, but it’s fun!

Jay Bennett – Whatever Happened, I Apologize – I was ready to drop the gloves when this guy was kicked out of Wilco, but I’m now able to see it as a blessing since he’s given us so much good solo stuff that Tweedy would never have let him put on a Wilco album. This one is a free download. Check out the link on his myspace page.

Cloud Cult – Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes) – More good local stuff.

My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges – My 6-year-old wants to be the next Jim James, and who can blame him?

Haley Bonar – Big Star – Just got it. Haven’t listened to the whole thing yet, but I really like what I’ve heard. She sounds like Julianna Hatfield, only talented! (My insincere apologies to any Julianna fans out there.)

Good, but just didn’t make my top ten…
Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers
Gary Louris – Vagabonds
Bob Mould – District Line
The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
Nada Surf – Lucky
Mike Doughty – Golden Delicious

Not nearly as good as I had hoped…
Tapes N Tapes – Walk It Off
Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue

I’m really looking forward to 2009 with new stuff coming out soon by The Honeydogs and more Bob Mould!

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.