movies

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
zany
Social Butterfly

movies

Post by zany »

i was going to share this clip i just watched on youtube (somebody made their own super short version of the movie Clerks) i thought it was cute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNr40F6VarI

anyways, i didn't want to just start some thread for this one random purpose, so i'm making it a combo - thread about movies. why not?!

what are some of your favorite movies? movie soundtracks? and i'm not doing top 5 or 10 or anything - that's too much pressure! just name what's on your mind that you like and why :) i'll start:

my favorite movie is Legally blonde, and i know it sounds ditzy, but really it's a smart-woman-movie. which is like me (ditzy and smart all at once) so i relate.

one of my favorite soundtracks is for the movie Beautiful Girls. i can't explain why but i always loved that soundtrack as a whole.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: movies

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Thats hilarious ...Thanks for sharing Nicole. I love movies, specially horror movies, and yes musicals too. One of my all time favorites is Moulin Rouge with Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman. Fav action thriller is Running Scared that came out in 2006..if you have not seen this and you like these kinds of movies then you have to see it! Fav horror/scary movies would be some of the cult classics, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Children of the Corn (All time Favorite). I don't know if I have a favorite movie soundtrack, I will have to think more on it, but I have found that usually the song I like most in the movie isn't even on the soundtrack, Go Figure!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Good idea for a thread, Zany!

Personally, I have a soft spot for anything that's science fiction-y. Some of my favorite movies (and TV series) are War of the Worlds (the newest one, with Tom Cruise), Signs, Star Wars, Equilibrium, Battlestar Galactica, X-Files, Firefly, and so on. Of course, there's also a lot of cheesy sci-fi, so don't think I enjoy everything with laser pistols and spaceships.

On that topic, I've heard quite a bit about the Watchmen comic. Is the movie any good?

I haven't seen any of the Kevin Smith movies that feature Soul Asylum's music. I would, but they're pretty hard to come by in Sweden if you want to rent them. I have seen Dogma, though. What are his other movies like?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

jakob - you like battlestar galactica too?!?!? i LOVE that show. :) have you seen the whole show already? i won't give anything away on here - i don't want to ruin surprises, and i know a lot of people started watching the show late on DVD and might not be caught up to the finale yet. (i watched the first 3 seasons on DVD in the last year, then joined the live fourth season)

war of the worlds was a little too scary for me (i can't handle anything scary!) but i did manage to last through Signs w/out closing my eyes too much - i liked that a lot.
i saw equilibrium recently (within 6 months) but i forgot it - i had to look it up just now because it sounded a little familiar. i like that genre (like the book 1984's genre) but that movie wasn't too memorable to me i guess. i can't remember why!
and i am a major star wars geek, although i don't have all the minor characters and ship type names memorized. my favorite is Empire strikes back :)

as for kevin smith movies, if you've seen dogma, .. it's been awhile since i saw that, but i would say clerks and 'jay and silent bob strike back' and maybe even mallrats is similar to dogma. and i think 'chasing amy' is more like a 'normal' movie with a more traditional plot line. i think that one is the best to me.
i actually forget most of 'strike back' but i figure if it wasn't memorable it didn't have that interesting of a plot and was mostly a movie full of jokes.
you can probably find clips from all of them on youtube or at least trailers if you're curious what they're like

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Battlestar Galactica is fabulous—quite possibly the most engaging TV series I've seen. I have to admit I wasn't immediately hooked by the mini-series, but after I saw the first regular episode I knew I wanted to keep following the entire show. In my opinion it's the epitome of a great TV series: it's got characters that you genuinely care about (and nobody is infallible, unlike series like House and Lie To Me), it's filmed with a great sense of style and aesthetics, and it has great cliffhangers. So far, I'm halfway into the second season so thank you for not giving anything away (although to be honest I've been a bit too reckless when surfing for Battlestar info, suffering some spoilers here and there).

Got any favorite episodes that you can divulge without spoiling anything? I thoroughly enjoyed the Pegasus story arc in the middle of season two, which I just watched. (By the way, I watch all of it on DVD.)

As for Star Wars, my favorite is probably Return of the Jedi, although Empire is a close second. I'm not a big fan all the Yoda-Luke chit-chat on Dagobah in Empire, but then I'm not a fan of the ewoks in Jedi either. The final battle in Jedi (spaceships and lightsabers) is what decides it for me, though.

I'll try to convince my family to watch one of the Kevin Smith movies with me this Easter. It's been a long time since I've seen Dogma so I'll come into his directing style pretty fresh, I think.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Homesick wrote:Good idea for a thread, Zany!

Personally, I have a soft spot for anything that's science fiction-y. Some of my favorite movies (and TV series) are War of the Worlds (the newest one, with Tom Cruise), Signs, Star Wars, Equilibrium, Battlestar Galactica, X-Files, Firefly, and so on. Of course, there's also a lot of cheesy sci-fi, so don't think I enjoy everything with laser pistols and spaceships.

On that topic, I've heard quite a bit about the Watchmen comic. Is the movie any good?

I haven't seen any of the Kevin Smith movies that feature Soul Asylum's music. I would, but they're pretty hard to come by in Sweden if you want to rent them. I have seen Dogma, though. What are his other movies like?

I like all of Kevin Smith's movies that I have seen...Dogma is my fav. though. But Chasing Amy is good and also Jersey Girl.

My family and I loved Firefly. My husband had downloaded the seasons off the internet and we did a marathong..and then we were looking to find when it was going to start up again and saw that they had cancelled it! Ah we were heartbroken! Oh well what can you do. Have you ever watched Farscape? It was another big favorite of ours too.

I've never read any or heard anything about the Watchmen Comics...but we went and seen the movie last week during spring break and we loved it!

Rusty

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Twiddly Dee wrote:My family and I loved Firefly. My husband had downloaded the seasons off the internet and we did a marathong..and then we were looking to find when it was going to start up again and saw that they had cancelled it! Ah we were heartbroken! Oh well what can you do. Have you ever watched Farscape? It was another big favorite of ours too.
Then have you seen Serenity?

I've only heard of Farscape; I know nothing about it. I'll check it out!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

is serenity a movie about the firefly show? that sounds familiar. i think we've been meaning to watch serenity. did firefly end abruptly when it was cancelled or did it get an ending to close it out? if it has a dangling ending i might not want to get into it!

thanks rusty for reminding me that i haven't seen jersey girl. i thought i remember it getting it bad reviews but i just added it to my netflix list. will have to decide later how high on the list it'll go though :)

battlestar is, i agree, one of the best shows i've watched ever. i got SOOO into it. i was even listening to podcasts about the show :) i don't really have favorite episodes, well maybe Exodus part 1 and 2... i forget what season they're in. But i do have least favorite ones.!! there was a stretch (in season 2 or 3) where a bunch of episodes in a row would show a scene, then say "X days earlier..." then show the rest of the episode. that started to drive me nuts! just show it in order! but they eventually laid off that technique.

oh and i know degobah scenes are a little dull but.. i find them kind of.. calming? it might be a psychological thing, because empire was the first of the movies that i remember watching all the way through, and it was with my brother who usually didn't let me hang out with him. before that the movies were just on in the background of my life a lot cuz my big brothers loved it.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Homesick wrote:
Twiddly Dee wrote:My family and I loved Firefly. My husband had downloaded the seasons off the internet and we did a marathong..and then we were looking to find when it was going to start up again and saw that they had cancelled it! Ah we were heartbroken! Oh well what can you do. Have you ever watched Farscape? It was another big favorite of ours too.
Then have you seen Serenity?

I've only heard of Farscape; I know nothing about it. I'll check it out!
Yeah I've seen Serenity, and glad that since they ended the series that they did the movie and didn't just leave us hanging...I hate that!

I watched some of Battlestar, my husband has watched it all..and now wants to start over from the beginning and wants me to watch, its just with his hours we don't have much of a chance yet to get started.

Rusty

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I also like the Kevin Smith movies. :)

I don't think I have one favorite movie. There are movies from the 80s I like that I'll leave on if they are on tv like The Breakfast Club or Real Genius. I own Ghostbusters and have happy memories of watching that with family friends around Halloween when I was a kid. I'm not sure if these count as movies or tv movies, but I like the first two Anne of Green Gables movies very much and just got them for Christmas on dvd. I liked Garden State too, mainly because I felt like an awkward 20-something and empathized with the main characters feeling like awkward 20-somethings.