movies

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: movies

Post by Closer »

There are so many movies I love, unlike music where I really prefer one genre, I tend to like almost every movie genre, from drama to action and from war to comedy, as long as it's a good film. I also like movies a lot that don't have that much of a story but mainly give you an insight in the character's life.

There's too much to mention but just some names I remember now: What's eating Gilbert Grape, The Man without a Face, My Girl, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Good Will Hunting, The Basketball Diaries, Dead Poets Society, The Shawshank Redemption... it annoys me that I can't think of more while I know there are movies that I've seen ten times but I can't think of now...

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Closer wrote:There are so many movies I love, unlike music where I really prefer one genre, I tend to like almost every movie genre, from drama to action and from war to comedy, as long as it's a good film.
Agreed. I also find that it's a lot easier to appreciate a well-made movie than a well-made song because a song can take some time to get into, especially when it's from a different genre than you're used to.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

that's a good point, there are only really 2 singersongwriter/bands that i REALLY love, that really just cut to your core, to use a corny phrase...

but there are quite a few more movies that i LOVE!

i thought of a couple more i LOVE:
V for Vendetta. after i saw that i declared I LOVED it. i've only rewatched a couple times but will more in the future!

pride & prejudice [the newer kiera knightly version] (yes i love most girly movies) but this i get SO into and it even got me to borrow the book and read the WHOLE thing (beginning was slow but once i got 1/3 through i was hooked.)
tomorrow i'll be watching the bbc miniseries version of P&P that i rented :)

Proof (jake gillenhall and gweneth paltrow) this one isn't as overtly great, but i find myself wanting to watch it over and over. i like the nerdy/psychosis mix in it.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I got a whole lot of movies that I enjoy, and I'll usually tolerate watching anything at least once (okay, maybe not those Date/Superhero Movie series), but the majority of the genres I like are action, adventure, comedy, and sci-fi.

Some of my favorite movies are:

The Blues Brothers. I watched this probably 100x times since I was 3 on an edited for television VHS tape which I wore out to death. Since then I've completely memorized the script to both versions (as well as the commercials in the television one). A bunch of the scenes were filmed within a mile from my house.

Falling Down with Michael Douglas. I can relate to many situations in the movie, and you can just feel the tension he is going through.

The Terminator series: Had cutting edge effects for its day; and actually a lot better than some other movies released. I diidn't care for the 3rd one as much (probably because James Cameron wasn't involved. I'm looking forward to Terminator Salvation released next month though)

The original Star Wars Trilogy (favorite one is probably The Empire Strikes Back); Revenge of the Sith was the best of the prequels by far in my opinion.

All the Mel Brooks movies; especially Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs (I don't know if they could get away with releasing Blazing Saddles today though).

Other favorites:

The Mexican
The Terminal
Kingpin
Die Hard 1 & 3
One Hour Photo
Austin Powers trilogy
Rush Hour trilogy (1&2)
UHF (Weird Al and Michael Richards)
Catch Me if You Can
All Kevin Smith movies (especially Clerks)

My honorable mentions, (though really seemed to be frowned upon):

D.C. Cab
Creepshow 1&2
Stand & Deliver
Howard the Duck
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Monolith Maniac wrote: My honorable mentions, (though really seemed to be frowned upon):

D.C. Cab
Creepshow 1&2
Stand & Deliver
Howard the Duck

Alright...sing it with me ! ! Howard...the duck... Love that movie!!

Few others I thought of that I like..

Short circuit...No disassemble ! !
The Goonies
Legend
Dark Crystal...What was sundered and undone shall be whole..the two made one....

The Matrix....The blue pill or the red pill?

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Twiddly Dee wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote: My honorable mentions, (though really seemed to be frowned upon):

D.C. Cab
Creepshow 1&2
Stand & Deliver
Howard the Duck

Alright...sing it with me ! ! Howard...the duck... Love that movie!!

The Goonies
Legend
Dark Crystal...What was sundered and undone shall be whole..the two made one....

Rusty
Short Circuit is such a great underrated classic movie. I remember picking it up a few years ago when I saw the DVD for $8 or something. I just couldn't resist.

Other non mentioned movies that everyone should see:

The Big Lebowski
Airplane

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

short circuit - that's the one where he says "INPUT stephanie.. INPUT!" right? johnny 5 alive? (i get that and batteries not included confused)
anyways i love "input stephanie" i think of that everytime i have to push the 'input' button on my tv remote... i dno't know, it just stuck.

the matrix - i really really liked the first one. i'm just sad the final one kind of ruined it for me. it's hard to live up to high expectations but really. it was very disappointing :(

blues brothers is the best!! i have the soundtrack - that reminds me i should rip it so i can listen to it on my zune cuz ihaven't in forever.
jim - the terminator3 is my favorite terminator. i have no idea why. but it IS :) i'm also excited about a 4th , but a little uncertain about christian bale playing johnconner. i forget who played him in the 3rd movie but i thought he was good apparantly. and i dno't think clair danes will be in the 4th unfortunately.

i just caught part of 'catch me if you can' on tv the other day. that's a great movie - i actually read the book afterwards, and while they did move things around chronologically in the movie, i think they kept to the main points at least for the most part, and the movie fabricated time line worked a lot better for storytelling than the true story line (which was just a little more intermingling of the stories that were separated more in the movie - from what i remember ! it's been awhile since i read it)

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Input correct....that is the movie. I also loved Batteries not included though. And Nick Stahl played John Conner in the last terminator movie!

Oh another movie I liked was Cacoon.

Rusty

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Twiddly Dee wrote:Alright...sing it with me ! ! Howard...the duck... Love that movie!!

The Goonies
Legend

Rusty

I have no clue how I forgot Short Circuit and The Goonies; I used to watch those all the time too. Those were in heavy rotation in my VCR; which were most likely dubbed from the video store (I didn't own many purchased ones).

One thing that I miss about some of the older movies which I don't see today, is having songs written especially for the movie (usually performed by an artist that's big at the time). The song would most likely tie in with the movie somehow.

All the following movies just mentioned above had their own song(s) with a well known artist at the time:

Short Cirucit
DeBarge - Who's Johnny

The Goonies
Cyndi Lauper - Goonies 'R' Good Enough

Howard the Duck
The whole score performed by Thomas Dolby (She Blinded Me With Science)

Would it be strange to add that I actually have all of these songs currently on my iPod?

On a somewhat similar note, one thing that they don't do much (if at all) anymore is make TV theme songs/intros. Of all the newer shows that come out, I don't think they even have one (or they definitely cut them out). Of course the main reason for this is because of stations wanting to air more commercial time. The average half hour show today is 5-6 minutes shorter than TV shows released in the 80's.

Even TV stations today are removing the older show TV themes just to milk every minute of that "valuable" commercial time; I've seen them do it on Lavergne and Shirley, Sanford and Son, and The Beverly Hillbillies (all of which have classic TV intros).

Anyways, I'm don't think I've even come close to answering some of my favorite movies (I'm sure some will come to mind soon, or maybe someone else will post one again) ;)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I love E.T. Its one of my earliest memories as a kid. I was like 3 1/2 yrs old when it came out, and I think I seen it like a dozen times! I know my brother who was like 20 at the time took me to the drive-in at least 4 times and I know other family took me too. I just couldn't seem to get enough of that little creature! Lets see I know there are more favs...

Gremlins.. Bright Light...Bright Light, Bye Bye Woof Woof
Neverending story..
Hellraiser...No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Cube...Astronomical!
Brainscan...Real, unreal, what's the difference? So long as you don't get caught.

Detroit Rock City..You know, your clothes may say disco, but your eyes say rock n' roll.

Alright back to work...

Rusty