WORLD CUP 2010

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Closer
Social Butterfly

WORLD CUP 2010

Post by Closer »

Seeing as probably 90% of the posters on here are Americans, and America one of the few countries in the world is that doesn't give a crap about football (or ''soccer'' for the Americans) no one is probably interested, but... THE NETHERLANDS reached the final.... OH YEAH... first time in 32 years that we reached the final at the World Cup again... so it's about time we take that title home... although it's going to be tough against either Germany or Spain because they are in a league of their own.

Homesick
Warden

Re: WORLD CUP 2010

Post by Homesick »

I'm expecting Germany to win, although I admit it would be fun to see the Netherlands get their first world cup victory. Good luck!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

And Spain it is! Going to make for an interesting match. :)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Yep, turns out I was wrong and the psychic, all-knowing incarnation of Cthulhu was right yet again. Also, Spain has never won the world cup before either, so we'll get a new winner either way.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I think a lot of people were impressed by Germany because of their results against England and Argentina, but the fact is that England doesn't have a very good team right now, and Argentina doesn't have a good defense and Germany took complete advantage of that. Now when they met a component like Spain, that doesn't have many weak spots at all, then they suddenly didn't really have an answer to that.

It's too bad that Germany didn't win because it would have been a historic repeat of the World Cup final in 1974 and when Germany beat us after a great match... and there's always been rivalry between our countries anyway.

And truth is that Spain probably has the best team in the world right now, so I'm going to try not to get my hopes up too much because I know how hard it is going to be beating them sunday, but then again... it's the World Cup... anything can happen.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I was rooting for Germany too, and I really thought they'd win, so I was really surprised when they lost. But then again, Spain is the European Championship 2008 winner, so actually it's not a surprise they won. Closer, I agree, anything can happen. It' s gonna be a very interesting match

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Goddammit... I guess it's not meant to be. Spain was the better team, though, but we came close to getting that title... again. But that's not good enough in sports.

A football nation is mourning today:

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

It was a tough game, and I gotta tell you, you played rough. Now I can only imagine how you felt afterwards.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Yeah, the Dutchies played rough at times, but they had to fight to not get played over by Spain. The Spanish team is a great team with amazing combination football and it's very hard playing against that. Look at how the Germans were humiliated against Spain, so you have to fight, and unfortunately foul play happens more often then. No excuses, though. That being said, I don't think it was as bad as the international press is making it out to be. Plus, that ref made some really bad calls. He didn't even give us a corner right before the goal, while it obviously was one, and that goal might not even have happened then.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Yeah, but hey, what can you do? :| But come on, you reached the finals three times now, you ought to be proud of that! 12 years ago, Croatia took the third place in the World Cup. This time, we didn't even qualify, which hadn't happened to us in, I don't know, over 20 years.