2010 July 24th - Hard Rock Cafe, Niagara Falls, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

2010 July 24th - Hard Rock Cafe, Niagara Falls, NY

Post by AlyssaJones »

Niagara Falls, NY on July 24th!

This one's pretty tempting for me.... Niagara Falls is only four hours away from Pittsburgh.

Anyway, there seems to be a conflict about the time of the show. On here it says 8:30 pm but at this link it says 6:00 http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes ... IBenumID=3

Soul-ful
Lone Rider

Re: Niagara Falls, NY

Post by Soul-ful »

My bet is the opening bands go on starting at 6pm, I believe I saw that the show will go until almost 11pm, I am sure if you call Hard Rock they could give you a better timeframe. I hope to make it for the show, can't miss them being in western New York twice this summer.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

According to Wes, Soul Asylum comes on at 9:15.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

9:15 now? I guess that makes sense since they have four opening acts.

I can't wait. :D Me and my mom are going. I guess having a mom that likes SA pays off in the long run. :P It's so funny, she's even more excited than I am.

[Oh yay, this is my 200th post. congratulations to me :mrgreen: ]

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Thought I'd bump the thread since the show's tomorrow. I can't wait to spend a night in a nice air-conditioned hotel room! I mean... I can't wait to see Soul Asylum! just kidding, I'm really excited. Anyone else here going?

JoeFromBuffalo
Marionette

Post by JoeFromBuffalo »

I will be there with bells on!!! This will be my 2nd SA show!!! C'mon Bus Named Desire........

JoeFromBuffalo
Marionette

Post by JoeFromBuffalo »

What a show it was!! Full of energy! Will try and update more later but it's off to work now.

Soul-ful
Lone Rider

Post by Soul-ful »

Great Show from the guys, like there would be any doubts...went on around 9:15pm and played almost 2 hours.

Niagara ME
Lone Rider

Post by Niagara ME »

We went last night and the band was incredible!! But, not being a huge SA fan (that is, until last night lol) I have no idea what the set list was, and want to know b/c we want to start our SA cd collection. Could somebody let me know what was played? Thanks so much!!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Woohoo, what a great weekend! The show was awesome! :mrgreen:

The concert was originally supposed to be outside, but since it was raining like crazy all day they moved it into the Niagara Falls conference center. It's really big and warehouse-y. I guess the acoustics were good, but I wouldn't really know since I was right up front. It sounded okay to me! Either way, I'm actually grateful for the rain since it was so much nicer indoors.

The opening acts:
A Potter's Field- Musically decent, but SOOOO boring. I probably would have liked them if they were more into it, but the band members themselves looked almost as bored as I was. They looked like zombies up there!

DoDriver- great band, really warmed the crowd up. more hard rock in style, and totally worthy of opening for SA. They had alot of fun.

Bob Schneider- self indulgent douchebag does not even begin to describe this man. He played a couple songs, and he wasn't too bad. Then when he got towards the end of his set, he stopped right in the middle of the song and started telling some story about buffalo wings and oral sex. I'm serious. The closer to the end he got, the more he talked, and it wasn't even funny banter or anything, he was just dragging it out as long as he could. I guess you had to have been there to understand how truly dreadful it was, but for a minute there I was wondering if I'd been killed on the way to the show and I was in hell. (If you were there and heard someone yell, "SOMEBODY GET THE HOOK!" yes, that was me). He looked at his watch and then looked at the promoter who was standing off to the side and he signaled that he had time for two more songs, and the guy said, "okay I have time for two more songs," but instead of starting his last two songs right away, he talked for at least three more minutes about nothing! That's perfectly fine if you're a headliner and people come to see YOU, but when you've got a restricted time frame and people are waiting for the real talent to come on, you get up there, you play your shit, you act gracious, and you get the fuck off the stage. You don't stand there purposefully dragging it out as long as possible. Sorry for the rant, but he really pissed me off.

Anyway, now for Soul Asylum :P

Setlist was all the usuals. Tons of energy, all the boys in a great mood. Dave looked and smiled at me a bunch of times during the show. I stood in front of Danny this time, which was cool for a change since I always stand on Tommy's side. It's fun to see Dan doing his guitar solos and riffs and stuff and cheering for him in particular. :)

Not much banter and no jokes from Dave, but of course still a great show. They opened with Somebody to Shove. Watcha Need was funny. Dave was messing with his pants the whole time. He pulled them up very deliberately at "the light came crawling through the CRACKS". :lol: Without a Trace was dedicated to both Karl and smokin'-and-drinkin' Bob Stinson. :D Love you Karl, love you Bob! Stand Up and Be Strong was awesome as usual. Dave was handing out guitar picks, and he gave out his last one during it, and when he went to grab another he realized it was his last. It was kinda funny and everyone knew what happened, so they just played a few extra bars while the guitar tech busted out a new pick for him.

The encore was pretty long. On the printed setlist they had Black Star and Stranger, but they ended up doing different stuff. I was looking forward to hearing Black Star since I saw it on the list, but I guess it doesn't really make for a good encore song. They did a few covers I didn't recognize and Tommy sang one of them but it was kinda short. They did Blue Suede Shoes which was pretty cute and fun. Then Dave was kinda like, well what else should we do? And someone in the front suggested Sometime to Return and they did it. :) Their very last song was Final Solution. Great rendition even though someone had to come out and tape the lyrics to Dave's monitor :P

It was an awesome show and a pretty good crowd. I was a little worried that I was going to pass out during the show since I'd barely eaten anything all day and I had only two hours of sleep, but I made through just fine. Only the excitement of a Soul Asylum show can keep me going like that!

Afterward, a little group of us were waiting outside for them and they all eventually came out. Danny was really lively and funny and he joked around with us for awhile. Then Tommy came out and I'm so happy I finally got to meet him! There's about 100,000 things I could think of to say to or ask Tommy Stinson, but I ended up just gushing at him for 30 seconds about how he's so awesome and the 'mats are the greatest band ever. I honestly can't remember what I said, but whatever it was, I got my point across. :P Then I was just like, "can I give you a hug?" and he was like, "yeah!" so I gave him a big hug and a kiss. He was really friendly and cool and he commented on my I ♥ MPLS shirt. :)

Finally Dave was on his way out in an SUV (he wasn't driving) and they stopped and he talked for a few minutes. I hadn't said anything to him yet and he looked at me and said, "Hi, honey." :) He's so sweet. I guess he stuck around for about 10 minutes and when he left we all waved and said goodnight to him.

In conclusion, I should say something concluding since this was a very long post, but I'm terrible with concluding sentences and I said all the important shit anyway, so there ya go. :P

Thanks for reading if you read this entire post! :)
Last edited by AlyssaJones on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.