2010 Aug. 26th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
msanto2
Stranger

2010 Aug. 26th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Post by msanto2 »

Orlando show was awesome. Gravity and Into the Light were there. Great setlist, specially because of Stranger. Dave said someone requested it. I'll post it on YouTube as soon as I can.

erocmann
Inmate

Re: Orlando aug26

Post by erocmann »

It was indeed an awsome set. Not only did they add Stranger, they also did an impromtu Blue Suede Shoes after being inspired by the "headless Elvis" in the back of the hall. The venue and crowd were a little weird (more of a place to be seen for some folks, and 2.5 hours of free drinks comes at a price for some), but the band rocked it as always. We were hoping to stick around and meet Dave (we heard he hung out in the lobby for a bit later), but we left around 11 to make our night drive to Biloxi for day two of our Soul Asylum trek!

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I haven’t had a chance to post until now, but I just had to comment on this remarkable show.

This was my 30th Soul Asylum show and it’s going to go down as one of my absolute favorites.

First of all, it was just a great show. Despite the oddness of the crowd, there was a great energy in the place and the band seemed to feed off it.

Second, the set list was dynamite. I absolutely love Dave’s performance of “When I Ran Off and Left Her” and it was a lot of fun to hear the impromptu “Blue Suede Shoes.” I am also still over the moon about the new songs. I had the opportunity to see them perform “Gravity” and “Into the Light” in Connecticut, so the Orlando show was my second time hearing them (and I have since heard them for a third time in Biloxi), but I still have that heady, intoxicating feeling that you get when you first fall in love. I think the songs are truly fantastic, and “Gravity” in particular is just smoking live.

Third, I got to attend the show with fellow fans and friends – Peggy, Eric, and Pat – while also getting to meet some new ones like Tod.

But what really put the show over the top was hearing them play "Stranger" -- and having Dave dedicate it to me! That song has been on my most-wanted list for so long. When I learned about the new songs and the fact that they added the Vic Chesnutt song to the set, I though the odds of hearing "Stranger" were pretty much non-existent. I figured they already had enough material to deal with… but I thought it was worth one more request, so I made a special sign. When they came out and launched into it for the encore, I nearly jumped out of my skin. It's such an extraordinary song and it sounded so, so great. It just made my night, my week, my month, my year.

As erocmann noted, Dave did come out to say hi after the show. I’ve often remarked on how gracious he is, but he was in especially good form this time. A lot of the credit goes to Peggy, who was wearing her Ferret t-shirt, which Dave got a big kick out of. He just lit up talking to her about it.

After Dave left the lobby, Pat and I headed to the Hard Rock bar on our own, but we ultimately ended up reconnecting with Dave and having drinks on the terrace with him and a few other people.

When I reflect on it now, I realize I had absolutely no business being in a music conversation with Dave Pirner and the manager of the Hard Rock Café’s memorabilia collection. It was kind of like a scene out of "High Fidelity" on steroids. But how fun it was to be part of that conversation, to contribute my opinions, and to hear insights into various bands and musicians from guys who have forgotten more about music than I’ll ever know. I’ll admit it was not my proudest moment when I inadvertently referred to the Stone Temple Pilots as the Stone Temple Pirates. :oops: I honestly hadn’t even realized I’d done it. Dave tapped me and was smiling as he diplomatically pointed out my error. He said something like, “I don’t know if you realize you just made a ‘typo’ but you actually came up with something better.” He insisted that I had improved upon the name. So I suggested it could be the name for the tribute band and we agreed they could sport eye patches. :)

I’ll just conclude by saying what a genuinely great guy he is. I am always struck by how gracious he is with fans, how thoughtful he is of all the people around him (e.g., the coordinators for the various venues, the wait staff), and how respectful he is of other musicians. He’s truly a class act and absolutely delightful to talk to.

It was also great to talk to Pete. I was a Figgs fan to begin with, so I was thrilled when I first learned that Pete was going to be filling in for Tommy. But he has really found his groove with the band and he’s such a great addition – strong musician, good stage presence, and such a nice guy. I suggested having the Figgs open for Soul Asylum at an upcoming show and both Dave and Pete seemed to be into it, so I really hope it happens – and if it does happen, I hope it's a show that I’m able to be at!!!

Truly an amazing night.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

swendo
Runaway

Post by swendo »

Dave was indeed super nice. He commented on Peggy's Ferret shirt from the stage, which meant a lot to her. They played "Stranger" for Miss Fitt 2, which rocked, and I'm definitely not complaining about free drinks :) Just another great show from this awesome band. I'm either over 30 or in my upper 20's with SA shows, too, and love it every time. This was extra special for me, 'cus I got to take my little sister for her birthday (she's over 30 in years - me, too, but still hittin' it in the pit, which was actually fairly crowded). It's also the first time I've seen them outside of Minnesota, which was pretty fun, plus hearing "When I Ran Off and Left Her" live was killer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnX2zV7MNI - RIP Vic and Karl). Glad the new tunes are online!
Tod
There's a ringing in my ears that's Heaven-sent

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Definitely one of the best shows I've seen recently! To echo the other comments, so much fun to go to a show and see familiar faces! So much fun to see Judith and Pat again and great to see Tod and to meet his sister. The set list was awesome! Some old stuff - Closer to the Stars, Stranger!!!!! (along with Judith's Happy birthday tribute - but I think he misunderstood that it was not her 30th birthday, but her 30th show! Judith doesn't look a day over 25, so that was Dave's mistake :) ! ), Never Really Been, Cartoon! Some covers - When I Ran Off and Left Her, Gone Til November and the Elvis tribute inspired by the Elvis display in the back of the room complete with some excellent Elvis shaking and quaking :) . And some new - Gravity and Into the Light! Absolutely LOVE the new songs and they are so great live! I'm interested to see what the final incarnations will be and I would love to see The Streets live too. I wore my authentic 1989 Ferret t-shirt to the show and Dave pointed out that it was "fxxxking awesome" from the stage:) And after the show he shared some interesting stories regarding the unfortunate untimely demise of the original ferret. Wish I could have stayed longer to have cocktails on the terrace with Judith, Pat and Dave, Pete and George. How much fun would that have been!! But very happy to have gotten to talk to Dave for a bit after the show. I too am somewhere in my mid-20's in number of shows (at least counting the ones I can definitely remember and / or have ticket stubs or photos to remind me I was there!!) and I told Dave it's our 25th anniversary next month :) My first show was September 1985, so I'm averaging about 1 show a year since that time, so that's a pretty good average I think! :) LOVE this band and I feel so lucky to have my favorite band out playing shows and writing new songs after all these years!!

alleycattus
Marionette

Post by alleycattus »

Reading through all your posts, I'm struck again by the sense of community that's been built by this band over the years. We may be a relatively small bunch, but we're incredibly loyal, and so many friendships have been formed as a result of meeting up at shows. And when I refer to community, I include Dave himself, since he has reached out to connect with so many of us at shows over the years.

Like many people here, I've had the pleasure of a few apres-show chats/drinks/eats with Dave over the years, and again like many of you, been impressed with his treatment of the fan community. I asked him about his interactions with fans once, after I watched him handle a drunk "fan" with an axe to grind after a show...long story short, this guy had apparently once been in some opening band, and Dave had made a joke about something the guy had been wearing on stage (overalls?) when SA started their set...well, this guy had saved up all his rage over all those intervening years, and, fueled by one too many Bud Lights, he let rip into Dave, who was sitting down with a bunch of us having a snack after the show. Dave didn't get angry, he just calmly listened to this guy's entire rant without interrupting. He then apologized for any offense he might have caused, said that he was sure that he hadn't meant any harm, and ended up shaking the guy's hand when it was all over. Absolutely floored me to see how calm he stayed throughout the whole ordeal, because the guy was really building up a head of steam at the beginning. So I asked Dave how he did it, and he told me about reading Dolly Parton's autobiography, and being totally impressed by the relationship she had with her fans. He wanted to do the same things with all of us, and was determined that he would try to treat everyone with courtesy and respect as a result.

Class act doesn't go quite far enough to describe it, but it's a start.

I have to admit that I'm very envious of everybody posting here. I'm only at show 13 in the last 20 years, so I've fallen behind the one-show-a-year pace. Blame it on living in Canada, where the guys rarely play. (Are you listening, powers that be??? One show in Vancouver doesn't count, when I live 4000km away from there!!) I am however very proud of the fact that those 13 shows took place in 6 different states and 2 Canadian provinces thanks to a couple of awesome SA-inspired road trips :D

Carrie