3rd Anniversary + GDU's and Tommy's Birthday!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: 3rd Anniversary + GDU's and Tommy's Birthday!

Post by Monolith Maniac »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:oh yeah forgot about the night santa went crazy from weird al. i wonder what the band thought of that song.its my favorite weird al song. it seems he did something else SA related on that cd i'll have to see if i can find it its somewhere in my cd collection.
Actually, the parody that I was fond of was Syndicated Incorporated which is the song you're probably thinking of. The Night Santa Went Crazy actually seems to contain a sample of Black Gold (but I'm not entirely certain if it was intentional), both which are located on his album Bad Hair Day.

Another interesting note is that Ozzy Osbourne's song, Mama, I'm Coming Home contains a similar riff to both songs. I believe Ozzy's sounds a little more like The Night Santa Went Crazy than Black Gold... nonetheless it isn't an exact parody of neither song.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

your right mono about the misery parody.i never could tell if the santa song was taken from black gold or ozzys song which i think lemmy from motorhead wrote. which song came first SA or ozzys song? maybe lemmys a SA fan. but the part in the middle of the song always made me think it was black gold.i like to think weird al is a SA fan.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:your right mono about the misery parody.i never could tell if the santa song was taken from black gold or ozzys song which i think lemmy from motorhead wrote. which song came first SA or ozzys song? maybe lemmys a SA fan. but the part in the middle of the song always made me think it was black gold.i like to think weird al is a SA fan.
"According" to Wikipedia, Ozzy's song was released one month before GDU was recorded, which was May of 1992 (and we know it was released today).

I'm sure Dave wrote the song quite a bit before recording it... so I don't think Dave got the idea from hearing Ozzy. It couldn't have been the other way around, I don't think?!?

Unless... maybe Dave received an advance copy of Ozzy's song. :P

(Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:your right mono about the misery parody.i never could tell if the santa song was taken from black gold or ozzys song which i think lemmy from motorhead wrote. which song came first SA or ozzys song? maybe lemmys a SA fan. but the part in the middle of the song always made me think it was black gold.i like to think weird al is a SA fan.
"According" to Wikipedia, Ozzy's song was released one month before GDU was recorded, which was May of 1992 (and we know it was released today).

I'm sure Dave wrote the song quite a bit before recording it... so I don't think Dave got the idea from hearing Ozzy. It couldn't have been the other way around, I don't think?!?

Unless... maybe Dave received an advance copy of Ozzy's song. :P

(Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.)
Black Gold first appeared in live shows back in '91 or so. I imagine it's just a coincidence that the songs had a few things in common. It regularly happens considering how many thousands of bands their are out there, each releasing so many songs etc. Especially when most rock songs only use a handful of chords in them.

In other news, happy 3rd birthday to ETSA. It's hard to believe it's been that long since the page opened up. I'm proud to say I've been here from the start, although I go back (along with a handful of other people on here) to the days of the AOL board where I was posting... hmm 14 years ago or so? Maybe slightly longer, I know there are some posts by me that Karl's mom printed up in the MPLS historical thingy where a lot of the SA archives are kept. Anyhow, this site has always been great, and is a wonderful way for SA fans to keep in touch.

Also, a very happy birthday to Tommy!

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Happy birthday site!

Happy birthday GDU...you were my first SA album.

Happy birthday Tommy and rock on!

theswine
Runaway

Post by theswine »

Happy (slightly belated) Birthday, Tommy. Thanks for all the great music. Keep it up!

Happy (also slightly belated) Anniversary to the site and GDU, too. Pretty remarkable day!