2010 Dec. 4th - Simple Life Fest, Taipei, Taiwan (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
alleycattus
Marionette

2010 Dec. 4th - Simple Life Fest, Taipei, Taiwan (Dave solo)

Post by alleycattus »

Just stumbled across this one -- apparently the guys are doing an unplugged show in Taipei next weekend...scroll to page 2 of the article for the details.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003489441

Carrie

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Taipei Show???

Post by philipgar »

wow, that sounds like an awesome gig for the guys. I was in Taipei two years ago. It's a really great place (although I refuse to eat the stinky tofu). Great people, great food... oh god was there ever great food there.. Anyhow, I hope they have a lot of fun out there, even if the show just pays enough for travel/hotel/food, it sounds awesome. I'm assuming it's paying quite a bit as one plane ticket there is over $1000. All around, it just sounds like a hell of a lot of fun for them.

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Wes emailed me about the show the other day and said that only Dave will be performing a solo acoustic show. The rest of the guys won't be performing.

I'll still post it up on the front page within the next day or so.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Neat!

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

How does the organizer get to advertise a Dave Pirner solo performance as a Soul Asylum gig? Leaving out consumer protection rights, being this is Taiwan, a band's name is not owned by one member. What does Dan have to say about this?

Taipeifan
Lone Rider

Post by Taipeifan »

This show was really great, I just returned from it. At 46 Pirner’s voice is in great shape, as good as ever. He did a really great set of a mixture of songs. Highlights were: String Pearls, Misery, Just Like Anyone, Somebody to Shove, Black Gold, Without a Trace and a KILLER Runaway Train done with a harmonica. Several others I did not recognize (from the new album?)

Pirner was in great form and seemed to be enjoying himself, sipping from a beer occasionally between songs. He joked and bantered a bit and said he enjoyed being in Taipei for the first time. He also commented on how great it is to live In New Orleans and dedicated a song to all the people and fish that got screwed by the oil spill (Somebody to Shove I think).

In a pre-concert interview with the local English newspaper Pirner said that solo shows can be daunting.
“It’s a situation where I have to be really good. There’s no props, there’s no wall of noise — [in terms of difficulty] it’s the closest thing to stand-up comedy, besides stand-up comedy,” he said.
“And it’s also really challenging and sort of terrifying in a way that I can’t resist the challenge — sort of a love/hate thing, but I know it’s a necessary thing for me to be able to do. If these songs don’t stand up by themselves without all the noise, they’re shitty songs,” he said.

Well they all stood up just great. A big thanks to Dave Pirner for coming to Taiwan to do this show. He is easily the best rock musician to play Taiwan and I say this without hyperbole. My only regret is was that it was so short; just under 40 minutes. Please come back and do a full show either solo or with the band some day. What a great concert!

Thanks Dave!
Taipeifan

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Welcome to the site, Taipeifan! It was pretty surprising to hear of a show in Asia all of a sudden. Did people at the festival in general recognize Dave?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Very cool video and thanks Taipeifan for the great summary of the show.

I know a bunch of other bands were performing, but does anybody know if that's Dave's largest solo performance? There definitely had to be a hell of a lot of people there (at least judging by the size of that screen behind him in the video).

Also it appears that Dave dressed up a little bit for the occasion (where's his holey jeans?). :P

Here's an article I came across from the Taipei Times:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003489984
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

desirae
Inmate

Re: Taipei Show

Post by desirae »

wow, thanks for the summary of the show. i wish i could have been there, i cant believe no holy jeans, but he has the same shirt..lol