2010 Dec. 17th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Dec 17 2010 Set List

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hands down, best SA show I've ever seen! The Artificial Heart opener? So creative and amazing! I still can't believe they played Marionette :D. They really pulled out all the stops last night and even though I missed some usuals like Never Really Been and Oxygen, it was great to hear some awesome stuff they don't usually do. Best. show. ever.

The crowd was way too obnoxious last night but it didn't keep me from enjoying the show one bit. I really hate it though when they do Somebody to Shove and everyone starts that slam dancing shit. It's obnoxious, dangerous, and flat out annoying. This was the second year in a row I got pushed up against the railing. Jerks. I don't know who pushed me but I elbowed them in the chest as hard as I could.

Many thanks go out to Mike from Boston! You're awesome man. Thank you thank you thank you. You rock.

It was totally awesome hearing Dave acknowledge Jim for all the hard work he's done on the site. He deserved it. :mrgreen:

The Figgs were really great and as much as I've grumbled about Tommy being away, I must admit that I do like Pete very much. Tommy's got the edge and the attitude and that home-grown Minneapolis charm, but Pete makes a great fit to the band. I talked to him after the show and he was really nice.

Absolutely wonderful night. Even better than last year :). Thanks again to the guys, Jim, and everyone else that made it so special. I hope to be there again next year!

pjr
Lone Rider

Post by pjr »

amazing show! 28th time I have seen them and one of the best. first time I have ever heard them play marionette, which was awesome. also loved the rarely played new world, did my best and ran off and left her. set note additions, silly little love song melody at end of misery, and they also played gone til November in it's entirety, I remember it clearly.

as far as the crowd goes, i was off to the side and it was pretty chill, just people singing and having fun. and if peeps want to mosh a bit during upbeat numbers, good for them. it's a f'n rock concert let people have fun. lighten up Frances!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Sounds like a great show... and awesome that they played Marionette again... one of my favourites.

P.S. Didn't they mention Jakob or something? He pretty much started this site and deserves credit as well.

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Great Show! as everyone has stated. Wish I would have seen some familiar faces from the forum but got to the depot around 7:30. Me and my wife had a great time though with my brother and his wife.

On a side note anyone know where "Gone Till November" fell in the set list. I am putting together a collage for my brother for a Christmas present and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas Everyone and a Soul Asylum New Year!

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sometime to Return wrote:I hear you about the 2007 (that too is my favorite recent Christmas show) but I think they are kinda limited as to what what Pete can play.
Pete is not a limiting factor at all in terms of song selection. I think he actually learns material faster than Tommy. In fact, he's one of the people who has been encouraging the band to play a greater variety from their catalogue, throw in older songs, and mix the sets up more.

I understand you miss Tommy, but I don't think we could ask for a better sub than Pete. Who knows, maybe we'll even get to hear Spinnin' one of these days. :)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Rebel Yell5
Runaway

Post by Rebel Yell5 »

Awesome show. My first holiday show back since 2007. I loved the surprises they threw into the setlist. Summer of Drugs, Artifical Heart with video as well, I think that is one of the best ways they ever have opened a show. The band appeared to be enjoying themselves. It was nice hearing Dave compliment Jim for the site. He acknowledged Jim and all of us in the front who come from all over to see them. Jim and Jakob do a phenomenal job, and this is a fantastic site.
Marionette, I Did My Best, and the new songs fit in very well. I like these new songs. The holiday show 1st Avenue tee is also very nice. I had to get one! I have all the others already!

The crowd was not entirely friendly though as many have mentioned.
Moshing is one thing, and if everybody is on board with it. You don't push over people who aren't into it. This was way different. A few in the crowd; in the front middle and stage left, were geting out of hand. They were knocking people over, and fist fighting on both sides of the stage. Dan Murphy mentioned it onstage for people to relax and no more hitting each other. As Tracy said they had to plant security in the front-center, stage left, and stage right. Rowdies even knocked the waitress over serving drinks.

Some funny moments crowd wise had occured for me. A 6 foot 1 guy-6 foot 4 with his rocker boots and hair was in the front. He looked as if Tommy Lee and Ronnie Wood had a love child. Everytime the crowd moved and shifted he was always right next to me. During parts of the show he would start leaning on me. I almost fell over a few times. I couldn't help but laugh.

I liked the stage setup. The Figgs were fantastic. Pete stands out to me. He is a great bass player. He has a very good voice too, reminds me of Jeff Tweedy from Wilco. He fits in with SA.
See You Later

Rebel Yell5
Runaway

Post by Rebel Yell5 »

It was also nice to hear a tribute to Karl Mueller who is definitely missed by all of us. I know Dave mentions him at all shows, but it is always wonderful to hear him do it, and Karl is missed and remembered.
The tribute to Bob Stinson was tremendous as well.
See You Later

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

AHHH!

What a great show. Sillly Love Songs always follows Misery, and Gone till November follows Cartoon. so use to stringing them together, now think of them as all one song. I think in addition to the tribute to Karl, Marrionnette would not have been such a shocker if we had been able to see the tiumphany player when the show started out. And it was awesome, I love that song!

Sorry we did not get to meet and greet, a bit late getting into town and wanted to be in front. I will never understand why people at a Rock Concert want to lean on you, like that is getting them that much closer to stage? or helps them see or hear better? Just don't get it. But it is typical behavior. I can't believe they can shove that many people in the joint... or that it doesn't actually result in major issues. Too many rats in a cage ...., but on the other hand everyone is getting in! Although many argue against inclusivity.

That said I thought the crowd was awesome. Except for a few PIA's everyone around me seemed to be very great! And noone dumped a beer a me ;). I think I was stage left, (to the left of the band). So unless you are talking about me? or Scot? Hey we may resemble that remark !! I guess I was doing some hanging on to some folks, but it really was necessary. :roll: Seems like part way into it I look around and see something familiar in each and ever face. The ladies from Pink Mink (opening band, who I thought were very good!) where standing right next to us. Phil, Mike, Andrew, Tim, and a really nice couple Becky/Betsy? to my right., Michelle, Janice, and many more that I recongnize but don't know. Met some great people after the show. So nice to see the McHenry contingent. I think I have been reading about that beautiful lake...

I think the real crowd problem was that leprechaun in the green hat (with the pink dot). I think he was trying to start a fight. He nearly got us thrown out in THE STREETS. Or maybe that guy who could not speak English. Course my liver is in a pool right now so idk.

Thought it was very cute that

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

oops, so prolific I needed a new text box!!

Thought it was very cute when Dave during Watcha need, stepped back and looked sheepish after "I forgot to call you back..." One thing about being CLOSE is that sound quality is not the same and crowd feel is different. During CLoser when Danny is really wailing the sound from further back is amazing!! Guess I have never been just like anyone.

Loved the Mercedes Benz, Christmas and the dollar sign that ate the Chirstmas tree has really been getting to me. Great political statement after Watcha Need. Does anyone really need any of this stuff and do they even know why they want it, or is it just because the advertisers told us we do (and our neighbors?)
Black Star was amazing and beautiful too. View from the balcony on Summer of Drugs!! By that time the crowd had pretty much aligned it selves into rows. Just like little soldiers. It was cool to see everyone doing the whoos, ahhs! I have not seen this one in a long time and it was a real treat! It seems like a SA song now.

Great vacation and celebration! Raddison hotel was awesome, brought me champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. And did not throw us out for being drunk idiots. Course some idiot woke us up early over a Tshirt. Our waitress at the show was also great!! I hope it was not her that got pushed down. Hell's Kitchen for Breakfest yum! Staff at First Ave let us in the next day to pick up a Motion City Soundtrack T-shirt for our son. And best of all totally dry road conditions the whole way.

Only bad part is my sore neck from all that head banging, I thought there was plenty of punk. I will have to work on my head banging muscles for next years. Figgs were great and kudos to Pete for an excellent night!

No substitute for fun....

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

This show was a lot of fun, not too much for me to add to this, I had a great time at the show, and it was wonderful seeing so many of you again. The meetup before hand seemed to go well. I was in the second row or so, behind Scott for most of the show.

I will agree, the crowd was pretty obnoxious. At one point there was this short girl behind me who was so annoying. The first time i let her through behind me (she hadn't gotten there early enough to claim her spot, but ends up pushing up front, which is ridiculous. At some point after a song or two, she left, and me and the girl next to me played road block for the next 15 minutes as she was trying to get up in front of us, or anyone else she could. We held her back, and I suppose she gave up eventually. People need to learn that those of us who get their early are going to claim these front places, and won't give them up easily.

The opening with Artificial Heart was great, I wasn't positive if they were playing it, but I thought it sounded live when they broke into it. Then seeing Marrionette was just awesome. Of course, the highlight for me was Black Star, as I just love that song.

I managed to record two songs on my camera during the show:

I did my best: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umg051H6VAQ[/youtube]

and Black Star [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-5swsTrZTo[/youtube]

I might post some photos I took later as well.

Phil