25th Anniversary Show

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

25th Anniversary Show

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

2011 marks the 25th anniversary of Made to be Broken and While You Were Out. I can’t help thinking how fabulous it would be if Soul Asylum featured songs from those albums at their shows this year.

In the past few years, there has been a trend to do album-based performances, often tied to a significant anniversary. Stiff Little Fingers did a bunch of shows where they played Inflammable Material in its entirety to mark the 30th anniversary of the that classic album. The Figgs did a few shows where they played all the songs off Sucking in Stereo to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Mission of Burma did two shows in Boston last year where they played all of Vs. the first night and all of Signals, Calls, and Marches the second. And this month and next, Cheap Trick is doing a series of shows where they are featuring the songs from Dream Police. Those are just a few examples.

The general format is to play the album in its entirety, along with a few new songs, and some standard set material. It makes for a great mix of material and a high-energy show.

I realize it would be hard for Soul Asylum to rehearse an entire album (or two!) in light of their limited schedule and different geographic locations, but how great would it be for them to feature selections from those albums this year??!!

They currently play Closer to the Stars and Never Really Been fairly regularly. And they treated us to Tied to the Tracks and Passing Sad Daydream for the 2007 holiday show, so they could probably play those pretty easily. If they played those four and threw in a couple of other tracks like Made to Be Broken and Freaks, that would be incredibly special. (I’d personally also be over the moon to hear Growing Pain, Ain’t that Tough, Never Too Soon, and Whoa!, but those are probably less realistic. ;) )

I’m probably dreaming, but wouldn’t it be fabulous?! It would be a lot of fun for the regular fans and I bet it would be a big draw for non-regulars, who the band could then turn onto the new material -- which more people need to hear because it is soooooo good.

I know I said I’d never ask for anything again after getting to hear Stranger , but a girl can dream, right??
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: 25th Anniversary Show

Post by Sometime to Return »

Good thread.

I know Rush causes many people consternation but; they played “Moving Pictures” in its entirety on the 2010 Time Machine tour; Start to finish, Tom Sawyer to Vital Signs, and it was awesome.

I couldn’t agree more; CELEBRATING cd’s in their entirety, it seems to be a "trend"-- one I can actually get behind. But; at a minimum, playing more songs from MTTB/ WYWO, especially since it’s a nice “round” number like 25 --seems like a reasonable request.

It would be a challenge to re-learn these songs as well. I am pretty sure Dave doesn’t drive around New Orleans listening to MTTB or WYWO in the car like I do driving around Minneapolis. We probably know these songs better than Dave. ;)

They have to play the staples (IMO)… STS, BG, RT, WOAT, Misery, JLA, Stand, Cartoon—after that, there are 8-10 songs they can blend in from a typical 17- 18 song set. But; the set list is always a debate.

My only complaint :evil:; and I stress only complaint, about the 2010 1st Avenue show was that there wasn’t one song from “Horse” played; NOT ONE, although 2010 was its 20th year anniversary.

I wanted to celebrate "Horse" at the show. http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/forum ... f=2&t=1071

But; after opening with Artificial Heart and Marionette; I should just be quiet.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sometime to Return wrote:They have to play the staples (IMO)… STS, BG, RT, WOAT, Misery, JLA, Stand, Cartoon—after that, there are 8-10 songs they can blend in from a typical 17- 18 song set. But; the set list is always a debate.
I absolutely agree that they should still include the staples. I think it's the combination of special material, staples, and new songs that would make it such a great show. I would actually add "All Is Well" to the staple list, because that feels like a classic to me at this point and I can't imagine a show without it. And I may be alone in this, but I wouldn't mind them cutting SUABS. I know it's become their signature ending and it has that whole anthemic quality, but I think they have so many stronger songs they could end on. And playing the new songs is an absolute MUST. I just love all three of the ones we've heard. The album is going to be killer!

Sometime to Return wrote:But; after opening with Artificial Heart and Marionette; I should just be quiet.
I know what you mean. Playing those songs was an absolute gift. Plus, I know I have been spoiled by getting to hear so many great songs and relative rarities. I thought the holiday show was totally awesome, so I have no complaints about what they didn't play. They can't possibly play everything or please everyone. But I agree with you that it would be wonderful to hear material from Horse. I got to see them do Veil of Tears a couple of times in 2006, and I loved that they were doing Easy Street for quite a while. And Dave played Something Out of Nothing for a couple of his Volunteers shows. (Nice Guys was on the set list for the Summer 2007 volunteers show, but he didn't play it. :( ) I tend to consider MTBB my favorite SA album, but Horse is the one I listen to the most, and that I can put on any time in any mood and enjoy. Just terrific songwriting from start to end.

Maybe after they do their 25th anniversary MTBB/WYWO shows, they can follow up with anniversary shows for Hang Time, Horse, and GDU. That's not too much to ask, is it? (Aren't they lucky to have such thoughtful fans planning their set lists and tour strategy for them? ;))
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

A Stranger
Lone Rider

Post by A Stranger »

Add me to the yes votes for this idea...I personally would love to hear them perform "Never Too Soon."

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

This is the best idea I've heard in a long time!!! I have been pulling for Freaks for a little while now and if I could put together a wish list, I would love to hear No Man's Land, Can't Go Back, Made To Be Broken, Ain't That Tough...do I dare go on? And I completely agree that in requesting the older material, we do not want them to neglect the new material - please! I am so looking forward to hearing more of the new songs. The three so far are making me highly optimistic that this new album is going to be awesome. Many people who were fans in the "old school" days will appreciate hearing these old favorites, and some of those fans who haven't been around in awhile and may not have heard what the band is doing now, should also be treated to the new songs because we are lucky enough to have a favorite band who has been around so many years, and is still putting out new material that is so great! That is rare and it makes me glad I picked them as my favorites so long ago :) What foresight we must have! :)

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Oh, and my other thought, related to this, is why not, once the new album is completed of course - we don't want to distract anyone from getting that done!!! Why not work on reissues of the Twin Tone albums and put them out all polished up with some new liner notes and with some extra tracks - outtakes, alt versions, b-sides etc similar to the way the Replacements albums were recently re-released? It would be an excellent way to pay tribute to these older albums just as a new one is coming out. I know I'd buy all of them over again! (Of course I already have copies of them all on record and CD, and in the case of Horse, on cassette too, but I'll still buy the reissues!!) :)

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

As an old school SA fan who has long lamented the disappearance of the majority of the songs that made up the setlist of a pre-GDU Soul Asylum concert, I ABSOLUTELY would love to see this happen. The songs from MTBB and WYWO are the songs that made Soul Asylum's live performances legendary and I think a tour celebrating that music would certainly be a treat for those of us who've been on board all these years and might just bring back, at least temporarily, a lot of the disgruntled fans who jumped ship with the onset of SA's Mtv period. Throw in a classic James at 16 medley in the middle of Made To Be Broken like they used to do and a good Neil Young cover to end the set (and really give the show that 80's era vibe) and I would be on cloud nine.
Also love the idea of a re-release of the two records, although NOT as remastered versions as I think they did with the 'mats Twin/Tone releases. Bonus material would be enough to make the re-releases worthwhile.
Now, in order to show my support for this idea, I vow to wear my While You Were Out T-shirt every day without washing it until these shows actually happen!
:lol:
...One day dirt will bury you and you will understand, there is nothing much more than the ground on which you stand...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

tditz_gb wrote: Now, in order to show my support for this idea, I vow to wear my While You Were Out T-shirt every day without washing it until these shows actually happen!
:lol:
Careful Tim,
You don't want it to become like Dave's cheerleading shirt....

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

CTTS, NRB, Cartoon are played at most shows. Sprinkle in a STR, Stranger, now Marionette, EzS, Blk Str – just enough pre-GDU to tease us old school fans. No one likes a tease. :P

Of course; they walk that fine line of pleasing us old school (pre-GDU fans), pleasing post GDU fans attending for just the “hits” and playing/ recording new stuff. I am sure they don’t want to get stale or stuck in the past. What to do…What to do.

In all reality though; what a great position for the guys to be in.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

maybe you can change the thread to also be a poll?

And if said poll was in favorable of this idea, maybe the band will catch wind of it. Couldn't hurt now would it?

I remember at that last 2007 Fine Line show, just before they ripped into some song, I swear they played a couple of notes of some old song, then Dave said something like "now that's the last time you will ever here that again!". I swear the song was Whoa. Was anyone else there for that one?

Great thread/idea though!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.