can't even tell...

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

can't even tell...

Post by philipgar »

I know we all know this song, but i just got into the mood to listen to it a couple times, and I'm wondering how such an amazing song didn't make it onto an album? God, listening to it, it is a better song than most all the songs on LYDLS, and I don't know how it escaped everyone's attention. I suppose it's their punk rock song that didn't fit anywhere else, but DAMN it's such a fun song. It's kinda sad how for a few years there, they shelved their punk rock songs as b sides or whatever. Does anyone know offhand the last time (if ever) that this was played long....

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Re: can't even tell...

Post by blueharvest »

Yup, truly awesome tune. I have no idea when it was played live. This song and Miss This always seemed to harken back to the old days of the band in an era they seemed to be trying to distance themselves from all that. I'm not sure I'd call it Punk Rock but as a mid-tempo rocker, it ranks up there with the best. I listened to it yesterday myself (hadn't listened in a few years I think) and was re-blown away by the schizo chorus and lyrics. Top 20 SA tune of all time for sure.

J

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Figured it would be one of your favorites from this period J, as that is your thing, thinking about it a bit more, it was obviously played live, because there's a version of it on the arragon ballroom show in 95. I do agree, that and Miss This (amongst others) kind of flew under the radar and were great old school kinda songs. I imagine part of it was just the fact that people expected the band to produce mid tempo rockers after RT, and that was went over well live etc. I think recently they switched it up more just because at the live shows the fans react far more to the rockers. All Is Well and Bus Named Desire have had some of the best reactions of their "new" songs. And the 3 new ones they've been doing.. damn, old school all over it. I wonder how much of the toning down on their albums was them versus there producers. Personally I like LYDLS, but it really could have used a few more "rockers" on it.

Phil

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Totally agree with you here. Love this song. Perhaps because it was part of a soundtrack that prevented it from being on an album. Although
We 3 was part of a soundtrack......good question!
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

This song has never really done it for me. It's a good song, but not in my top 20... or 30... or even 40.

It was included on the Black Gold "Best of" album, though, so it' s not like it's been overlooked.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I really enjoy this song too, but I have a hard time picturing it on GDU or Dim Light. In many ways, it does sound like an "end credits" song (which it was in the movie Clerks). I don't mean that in a bad way, but like Phil said, it probably would have been hard to fit it on either album.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Good tune... SA has a ton of good stuff from the 1990s that should have been on the albums, or seen more time in the live rotation at least... I dig the outtakes from that era more than most of the album songs. So for me it was real cool to hear them do Ran Off and Left her last summer (yeah I know it's a cover but they did a studio version of it and it's a great song.) The band hasn't entirely forgotten their back catalog. Hopefully a few more of these tracks will reappear here and there. I guess the rotating crew of bass players and the randomness of tour dates kinda prevents them from being more spontaneous than a regular touring band might be.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Phil,
I just remembered that there was an officially released live version as a b-side on one of the LYDLS singles (Just Like Anyone?) which was pretty awesome too. I'm not sure if that's from the show you mentioned. My CDs are on the other side of the planet at the mo. I'll be back there in a few weeks so I'll probably dig them up and rip a few more to my PC.

I seem to recall reading in an interview Dave saying that there were about 30 outtakes from LYDLS that were closer in style to Caged Rat than say, Eyes of a Child. I'm sure if SA had reached Beatles like levels of popularity, we would have seen "Anthology" sets with all these unreleased tunes, but at this point who knows who even controls the rights to all that stuff.

J

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

that is one of my TOP FIVE songs. LOVE IT.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Ironically-- as I sit here with my Summit EPA in hand; raising my glass ya all-- cheers!! the last time I heard this played live was the Summit Music Fest ...2006?? I believe.

Good tune; not in my top 30 SA songs, maybe top 40.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.