Lost in your own room: SA interior design

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Lost in your own room: SA interior design

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Here's my poster I was referring to in my room in this thread.
jimdaveposter.jpg
My friend Pete (which many of you have met) took the picture at Chicago's Goose Island Fest back in 2000 (which was the first time I met the guys). My parents had the picture enlarged and framed for me as a birthday gift the year after I believe.

Cut to 2006 (where it came off the wall I think for the first time since I put it up :P ), I took it to the Vernon Hills, Illinois show and had it autographed there after the concert.

Dave signed it "Oh Jim Tons 'O love", and there's a little story behind it too. Dave asked me if I wanted anything personalized on it... I kind of hesitated and said "Oh, Jim"... and then my buddy Pete sarcastically said "Tons of Love", so that's what he wrote. :P

---

This is their RIAA award for GDU which I'm sure many of you have seen on eBay. Many of these are listed for $150+, which I don't think I'd ever shell out... but I couldn't pass up a deal of $35 for it. :) I think I got it probably around 2003 or 2004. One interesting thing I did learn about this award though is that is one of the very few RIAA awards to be displayed in a landscape position.
award.jpg
I used to have the GDU, LYDLS, and Clam Dip posters hanging up at my other house, but kept them off here cause I want to paint these walls sometime soon.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hey, I've been in that room :D
Look at the cute guys in that poster...I don't know which one's cuter. Jim or Dave? Hmm...

Anyway, in my room I have a rather large section of wall devoted to SA pictures. I started it in 2008 and it's still a bit of a work in progress. There's still some real estate left on the adjacent wall and it'll be done when there's no room left.
wall1.jpg
wall2.jpg
wall3.jpg
wall4.jpg
I also painted the lyrics to Never Really Been around the room. Here's a few pictures of that too:
100_0856.jpg
100_0857.jpg
100_0860.jpg
100_0861.jpg
100_0862.jpg

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I have to say I love those lyrics on the wall, but I find it a bit disturbing to see a Spongebob poster right next to a Grindhouse poster. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Great pics Jim and Alyssa! Jim - That Goose Island Fest show was my first Soul Asylum show! :D

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

wow impressive guys.

all i have is a cassette liner (horse) that i got autographed by dave in boston that i put in a frame along with the photo mysticspiral took of me& dave. however that is propped up on a desk in a room i don't really use. :( it's next to the arlo guthrie autographed album cover i have also in a frame. i thought i had a photo of it but i couldn't find it. sorry!

but sara's montage reminded me of my MINI (like half a page) 'montage' i had of SA pics back when i kept this scrapbook thingy in the early 90s. they were cut out from corny magazines i guess. :) i still have the scrapbook but they never made my wall.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Does anyone know the name or artist of the Lighthouse Picture?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

triumph3434 wrote:Does anyone know the name or artist of the Lighthouse Picture?
Looks like his name is Steve Marsh.

Although it's from the same photo, all 3 covers (this one in the link, TSL's cover, and Jakob's) all have their little differences.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Nice, thanks.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I just remembered this thread and thought I'd contribute my "home improvement" project.

All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

That is awesome!

My wife has little quotes all over the house, ya know the "live laugh love", and those sorts of things. She might actually go for that one. Ill try to copy you. that looks really good. What a great line too.