Faces and Names

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Faces and Names

Post by blueharvest »

Hi Triumph

This is in response to your question on the "Best of" "SoP" thread.

Wow, to be honest with you, I don't think I've listened to Faces and Names in at least 5 years. maybe more. I never ripped it to my computer and the CD is buried somewhere in a box in my Mom's basement in Canada. I'll be back there in a few weeks and I'm planning to dig up some more CDs and rip them, probably including this one. Overall as an album, F&N wasn't really my thing. At that time musically, I wasn't really into the New Orleans jazzy stuff so I never really gave it a fair chance. But, having watched the show "Treme" (highly recommended by the way. Same folk who made the Wire (best show ever!!!)) I've started to have a better appreciation for that kind of stuff and am very curious to rediscover the album.
Having just quickly read over the lyrics to Faces and Names in the truly awesome discog section of this site, I have to say, the song seems quite straightforward to me. There are a few nice storytelling embellishments and imagery. I think Dave manages to present a pretty good snapshot of a guy who hasn't done much with his life and thought back on the past a bit too much. He seems almost Forrest Gump-ish in that he seems to have stumbled into an extreme situation and comes out with very little opinion about what happened other than the straight facts.
I honestly don't remember the melody to this song at all, so I'm looking forward to giving it, and the album, another shot. If I can find it that is. I kid you not, my Mom's basement looks kind of like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

J

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Re: Faces and Names

Post by I Love Dim Light »

You can hear it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHPCjOyT3EM

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

Faces & Names struck me as quintessential New Orleans (not so much for the music but the tenor of the writing) but perhaps someone with a parttime residence there (Judith?) would be able to flesh out that character element further. The opening gambit reminds of the studio Dave was recording in at the time; and certainly even prior to Katrina there was a flavor of "there I was stark naked with a racist politician in about three feet of water in a building that was burning". It's halfway between Dostoyevsky's The Idiot and A Confederacy of Dunces. New Orleans, that is.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

YouTube! Why didn't I think of that!? :P Thanks for the link. As soon as it stated playing I remembered it much more clearly. It's a nice little tune.

J

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

I always feel there is more to this song. A lot of it dosnt make much sense either. Almost like a dream. I think you are right on your thoughts that he hasn't made much of himself, but I think its deeper. I would love to hear what Dave was thinking when he wrote this. Wheras I dont think there is a huge amount of thought in SOP, I think there is in this song.

Who is the Girl... she runs away from him, He sees her in the future....

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

triumph3434 wrote: Who is the Girl... she runs away from him, He sees her in the future....
Hmmm... I'm not sure you are interpreting that right. Here are the lines from the song about the girl.

And there I saw you five years later like someone I'd never seen before
So I thought I'd say hello but that building it was burning
And you turned and ran away just like the vision I remember

I think the "5 years later" is now. He's thinking back on an event that happened 5 years ago. He saw this girl 5 years ago. At that time, for whatever reason, she ran away just as she is running away now because of the fire. The vision he remembers is the first non-meeting 5 years ago.

I really don't think the song is all that complex. It's pretty linear and straightforward story wise. The interesting thing to me is that the character thinks that the only thing that has changed over time are the faces and names. That leads to the question "So, what hasn't changed?" I would guess that he hasn't. The situation and his feelings haven't. He still can't talk to the girl (I think we can infer that he doesn't communicate well with any girls). Others still see him as a failure. There is still racism and inequality in society. That's why I got a bit of a Forrest Gump feel from the words. He is more of a passive witness to the events, doesn't render judgment, and eventually just laughs it all off.

It's not a bad song at all and I'm sure lots of folk can probably relate to some of the ideas within. I've certainly struggled with my own bouts of shy awkwardness with girls :P I'm sure most guys have. The idea of looking back with a certain sense of regret also reminds me a lot of Dan's writing. A lot of his tunes deal with that subject matter.

J

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Yea, I think you are right about the five years. I hadnt thought of it like that.

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

blueharvest wrote:(I think we can infer that he doesn't communicate well with any girls).
Bollocks. He's married, whether by common law or clergy. And they were together when he wrote this song, so clearly he can communicate with the lasses.

Just wanted to interject, Pirner supposedly did some songs live recently as part of an Alex Chilton tribute in New Orleans (I believe). Couldn't tell you what or when.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

black manta wrote: Bollocks. He's married, whether by common law or clergy. And they were together when he wrote this song
I meant the character, not Dave. I'm sure Dave manages with the ladies just fine :P

J

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

black manta wrote: Just wanted to interject, Pirner supposedly did some songs live recently as part of an Alex Chilton tribute in New Orleans (I believe). Couldn't tell you what or when.
The Alex Chilton tribute was part of the "Best of the Beat" music awards on Friday, 1/28.

I had hoped to get to New Orleans that weekend to catch Dave and some of my other favorite local musicians, but sadly, my job had other plans for me.

Dave performed "Back of a Car" and "In the Street."
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden