Keep It Up

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
raining
Runaway

Keep It Up

Post by raining »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for the SA song 'KEEP IT UP' it's old and it might be re-named. If anyone knows what I'm talking about PLEASE respond!!!!!!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Keep It Up

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I think I know exactly what you're talking about; it hasn't been renamed.

I sent a copy to your inbox. :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Oh, I know that song. It's the fourth track on the album "Grave Dancers Union." It's a pretty solid disc...you should pick yourself up a copy. ;)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

For the longest time, Keep It Up was one of my favorite songs on on GDU. I haven't listened to it in ages, though... Maybe I should!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

raining
Runaway

Post by raining »

AlyssaJones wrote:Oh, I know that song. It's the fourth track on the album "Grave Dancers Union." It's a pretty solid disc...you should pick yourself up a copy. ;)
Ok I feel like a dick,....GDU was stolen out of my car 10yrs ago and I have never replaced.....shit shit shit!!!!!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I wasn't trying to be a bitch or anything, I was just kidding around.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

So underrated. A favorite to sing along to.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Keep It Up is def one of the songs on Grave Dancers Union that makes it so effective as a form of self therapy. Dave once called it a "feel good number", and it certainly is. I wish they'd occasionally toss it into the setlist again.

Dave's comment about the song happened during an interview that he and Dan participated in. It's one of the Grave Dancers era interviews that Little Too Clean has in his YouTube collection, and the topic had gotten around to How Dave has somehow managed to never write a "love song". Off the top of my head, the pertinent commentary went something like this:

Dave: "Yeah, No love songs, no dance songs, 'I'll never write a love song'"

Dan pipes up: "What about Keep It Up? If that's not a dance song..." Dan fades out as

Dave gets mildly offended/defensive and humorously cuts him off with an indignant: "That ain't no dance song! It's a feel good number, for the people, by the people." continues muttering "ain't no dance song..."

Yeah, I've watched it a few times, lol. I just love the interplay between Dave and Dan in their interviews :D.

btw, I think with "Into the Light" Dave can't deny that he has finally written an honest to God love song, ;) Thank you, Dave, for writing an intelligent love song that is mature and sincere, without any of the sap that all the hit love songs always have.

Oops, bringing it back on topic, lol:

Common, guys, play Keep It Up live again, so I can affectionately snicker about Dave dancing to a song that he insists isn't a dance song, lol (Although I do agree with him that it's not actually a dance song, you can't help submitting to it's infectious high energy feel good vibes and start moving, :D)

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Into the Light a love song? Hmm... I think I'd have to disagree there. Good For You is a love song, By the Way is a love song, Into the Light, I don't think so. I think I know what it's about but I might be totally wrong and I guess you can take it any way you want. Personally I think it's about the band going on without Karl.

"skating on a grave that's made of ice" = trying to deal with his death
"tangled up in puppeteers' strings" = being controlled by grief
I think the whole "how can I be sure this is a sure thing" part is Dave wondering if they can really go on without him and the "best day ever just got better" is them learning to live with it. (you never really get over something like that...you just learn to live with it). Finally, I think when he says "step into the light" he's talking about the lights on a stage, and by "stepping into" them they're taking to the stage again and continuing their career.

That's just my interpretation of the song...I might be wrong. If anyone has their own interpretations then let's hear 'em :)

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i like your interpratation allyssa i didnt think it was a love song at all.