I think we all need to stop and think for a moment.

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
spodiba
Social Butterfly

Re: I think we all need to stop and think for a moment.

Post by spodiba »

philipgar wrote: In today's scientific dominated world, it's a lot harder to say God was vengeful. Instead people will try to use pseudo-scientific arguments to tell people that what they're doing is wrong, and try to instill their will over groups all the while gaining more power for themselves. I won't say there won't be highly negative effects because of global warming, but if you listen to some of these people, basically EVERYTHING bad that happens is somehow attributable to global warming, or other things mankind has done to the earth. I'm sure someone somewhere has made a pseudoscientific claim that global warming is either responsible for more frequent, or more devastating earth quakes, or both. They likely even used computer simulations etc to back up their points.

The problem is that science in many of these fields is just not advanced enough to make these predictions, and with something like weather there are entirely too many unknowns. The models are based on what they already know, but if you go out to show something, you can set parameters in your simulations that will make your desired outcome more likely. You also give more scrutiny to models that don't back up your desired outcome, and find flaws in them that you don't necessarily find with the other simulations. It's all a part of how science works (I'm way too involved in the process), and I'm sure it happens in all the fields to some degree or another. Considering a weather forecaster can't really predict the weather for a few days from now that accurately (using extremely high-end supercomputers), what makes me think their predictions on things years out are accurate? I know showing general trends is much easier than showing exact events, but we really just don't know enough.

Phil
Yes, I know that is very easy to manipulate your paramenters to get the exxpected result and that that kinda practice is present in all fileds, and especially the statistics concerning global warming that we're presented with every now and then can also be manipulated with. OK.

Also, yes, instead of claiming that God is vengeful, scientists are telling us that the nature is vengeful and basically, what I understand you're saying here, is that we're not the only ones to blame for what is happening today, right? No to go into scientific explanations (I'm not a scientist), isn't that also some kind of a pseudo-scientific, conspiracy theory? - no, no, we are not to blame, it's just the way it is? all these crazy scientists with their statistical data are jus trying to deceive us and gain some power, money for themselves? isn't that also a bit pseudo-scientific? Ok, yes, I know that there are people who are just looking for a way to make more money, power, wealth,.. in whatever a situation (just like war profiteers), so what you're saying is not that impossible.
And yeah, I have a friend who was involved in this weather forecasting process, and she says it's bullshit, you can never be completely sure about the weather. But that's weather forecasting for ya.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Heather1983 wrote:I will tell you this, The earth's core is heating up. That increases magma and of course this means quakes, volcanoes. With the earth's core heating up, the oceans are 10 degrees hotter. Now, you may ask what 10 degrees means? Ice Caps are slowly thawing, with the temps on the rise, your storms are more severe and more rapid. Add the results of the greenhouse effect and you've increased your temps of the atmosphere to 15-20 degrees. It's a recipe for disaster. THIS has NOT happened before. Sure, we have active seasons once in awhile and a few decades ago, but to have every known disaster to man become active at the same time is not something that happens every 100 years. Sadly, it WILL get worse.
I study oceanic and atmospheric science, and I read the Bible. Now, what does this have to do with anything? Simple, Science recommends that this will only get worse and according to your belief's, many Christians believe it will get worse. To avoid and religious melt down, we won't go down that road but science is already confirming that it is going to be HELL.
I live in Florida and we have NEVER had the tornadoes that we've had here the past two years. 52 touchdowns in two years for Florida? That only happens during hurricanes and we haven't had any ( Thank God for That) since 05.

Heather
This is what I meant by saying the earth is turning against us.

Sorry guys for three posts in a row with different quotations, i don't know how to multi qoute in here.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

No, I don't know, and no, there's no proof, and that's why neither one of us can claim that something did or didn't happen 500 years ago.
No, I don't think it's arrogant, I think it's the responible thing to do.
Exactly, but I'm not the one stating a theory. And I think you missed my point about arrogancy.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Closer, quote:
think it's possible that there are times that nature disasters hit more often than at other times, but I think that it has always been that way...
it's just that when nowadays something happens somewhere it is world news within a couple of minutes, and it obviously wasn't that way hundreds of years ago, so we're a lot more aware,. end of quote

OK, I'm stating a theory.

Tell me the point.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

the Earth's core has stopped spinning. Disasters are appearing all over the world: Birds acting crazy, powerful thunderstorms, 32 people die within seconds of each other when their pacemakers quit working. Dr. Josh Keyes and his crew of five go down to the center of the Earth to set off a nuclear device to make the Earth's core start spinning again or Mankind will perish.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/maindetails

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

on a slightly more serious note - how do they measure temperature of the inner core of the earth????
no - seriously, i'm curious and not being a smart-alec.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

There is no way to measure the temperature at the Earth's core
"directly". We know from mines and drill holes that, near
the surface of the Earth, the temperature increases by about
1 degree Fahrenheit for every 60 feet in depth. If this
temperature increase continued to the center of the Earth, the
Earth's core would be 100,000 degrees Celsius. However, many have a hard time believe the earth's core is THAT hot. It's just basic calculations.
ince no one (other than terranauts in sci-fi movies) has been able to observe the earth's inner core directly, indirect methods are being used to reveal the inner workings of the planet. Seismologists have found that earthquake waves pass through the solid core at different speeds depending on their direction of travel. When the waves travel in the direction of the neatly aligned iron crystals in the core (like traveling with the grain in wood), the earthquake waves travel more quickly. The direction of quickest travel varies over time since the core (and its crystalline grain) rotates slightly with respect to the rest of the earth. Computer simulations of the earth's interior dynamics also support the concept of an independently rotating inner core. The fact that something deep within the earth may be changing on the scale of human lifetimes provides potent disaster movie material.

As for the "Movie" , the core spins a bit faster with the rotation of the earth. Unless the earth itself stopped spinning, the core will not. Or if an act of God took over.

This is a glimps of how active its been this year in comparison from 1997. http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5825

crazybriton
Stranger

Post by crazybriton »

Pardon me, but I don't think it takes any scientific calculations or research to use common sense and realize that there is something going on. Look around, things are changing, the climate is changing. The world knows it and it doesn't matter if anyone chooses to believe or not about it. Trying to debate over something is not worth the time anymore. No one is trying to prove anyone right or wrong, but everyone has stated valid facts but the one fact remains, things WILL continue to get worse. The bottom line is learn to disagree, and be polite and respectful. I know I am new here on this board, but I feel that this discussion is getting to hateful I think.

Now how about we get back on topic and THAT was, let's remember those effected by all the disasters. That is what this person posted this thread for from what I have read in the first post. Put all bickering and debating aside and remember that it is not worth it, there are people in trouble around the globe. Pray, light a candle, have a moment of silence, what ever it is you choose to do, unite and help those.

Cherry