2011 July 20th - Red Sky Music Festival, Omaha, Nebraska

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

2011 July 20th - Red Sky Music Festival, Omaha, Nebraska

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Wedensday, July 20th, 2011
Red Sky Music Festival (TD Ameritrade Park)
Omaha, Nebraska

Showtime: 5:15 PM
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

desirae
Inmate

Re: 2011 July 20th - Red Sky Music Festival, Omaha, Nebraska

Post by desirae »

im really excited for this red sky festival, i seen they have alot of bands coming, is anyone else coming !!!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Does anyone know if you can buy tickets the day of at this festival? I'm currently in Mitchell, South Dakota and would like to hit this one if possible on my way home. Originally I was going to go to the Sheffield Garden Walk show, but due to Travel Partner A's innability to attend and Travel Partner B's refusal to drive in Chicago traffic, it looks like that won't be happening for me.

desirae
Inmate

Post by desirae »

im sure you can, thats crazy that your in mitchell, your close to me, do you know how much it is just for that day

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I just posted on this festival's facebook and they said you can buy tickets day of. Apparently it's 15 dollars a day, but that doesn't include admission to the mainstage. That sounds kinda weird, but SA's on stage C so if you're just going for SA or any other non-mainstage band I guess you get a break.

Me and my dad are headed to Montana and I've never been this far west before. I think South Dakota's a beautiful state!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:Me and my dad are headed to Montana and I've never been this far west before. I think South Dakota's a beautiful state!
Where in montana are you going? I love the state, and you should check out glacier national park if you get the chance.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I've always wanted to go to Glacier National Park but we're just going to Billings which is way far south. Oh well, maybe someday though before all the glaciers are gone.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:I've always wanted to go to Glacier National Park but we're just going to Billings which is way far south. Oh well, maybe someday though before all the glaciers are gone.
out there, the glaciers are just the icing on the cake. The place itself is just so beautiful, you don't want to miss it. The bright blue lakes, the mountains stretching out, just very peaceful, and unlike some national parks it's not "over crowded". I need to head back out there sometime, I could see myself just escaping there for a week or two. Have fun in Billings!

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

philipgar wrote:
AlyssaJones wrote:I've always wanted to go to Glacier National Park but we're just going to Billings which is way far south. Oh well, maybe someday though before all the glaciers are gone.
out there, the glaciers are just the icing on the cake. The place itself is just so beautiful, you don't want to miss it. The bright blue lakes, the mountains stretching out, just very peaceful, and unlike some national parks it's not "over crowded". I need to head back out there sometime, I could see myself just escaping there for a week or two. Have fun in Billings!

Phil
Yep, Phil, Glacier National Park is my favorite National Park I've been to. I used to take my family on a tent camping vacation there every summer. For a week, if available vaca time allowed, or even for just a 3-4 day weekend if that's all I could get time off for. The best thing that makes living in western ND bearable, is that it's pretty much smack-dab right in the middle of my 2 loves (live SA shows in Minneapolis, and hiking & camping in Glacier National Park.

Alyssa, if you enjoy mountain scenery and you'll be in the Billings area long enough to devote a day to an area day trip, I'd highly recommend heading up the Beartooth highway, south of Red Lodge. I think the Red Lodge exit is about 30-45 min west of Billings, Red Lodge is about an hour or so south of the Interstate, and then I'd plan on allowing AT LEAST 7 hours for a round trip from Red Lodge, up over the Beartooth Pass, to see the spectacular Crazy Creek cascade, which is between the junction with the Chief Joseph Highway, and Cooke City, MT. The Crazy Creek cascade is a very short 5 min walk from the parking pullout, directly opposite of the Crazy Creek Campground. You wont see any signage announcing the cascade, but there is a sign for the campround, so look for that. The Beartooth Highway just opened for the season a week or 2 ago, so you will probably get to have the impressive experience of driving through a few places where the road is carved out of a snowpack that's about 20 ft. deep. Red Lodge has a Subway, so you can grab some subs before heading up the pass, and enjoy a picnic at any number of scenic pullouts along the way. Look for white Mountain Goats out on the grassy plateaus along the upper elevations. There is a charming mountain store (It's called The Top of The World Store, because the Beartooth Pass is the highest elevation pass in the Rocky Mountains, but don't let that scare you!) located in a beautiful wide open meadow in the upper elevations.

BTW, the Crazy Creek cascade is the most impressive water feature in the entire Yellowstone area, IMO.

Apologies to any who are peeved by this thread being taken so far off topic. However, one could consider that discussing scenic travel opportunities on a road trip that hopes to include a SA show somewhere along the way, as being appropriate for an "On The Road" category, (in the very broadest sense, lol).
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Thanks for the suggestions, Dells. We ended up doing the Beartooth Pass and it was sooo amazing! I stopped at the little store near the bottom and grabbed a postcard and a keychain. We stayed in Cooke City, MT then did Yellowstone the next day.

Anyway, the concert:

I have never seen the guys in such a good mood or having so much fun. The crowd was decent, maybe 100 people (better turn out than Tonic) with about 20 or so big fans. I wore my 'mats shirt and got lots of comments, one from a little boy that didn't look much older than nine.

The heat was annoying but bearable, and didn't seem to detract from the guys' energy much at all. Set list was the usuals, don't remember it song for song, but they did do Rhinestone Cowboy. (no Marionette though) About four songs in someone up front yelled "Rhinestone Cowboy!" and Dan said, "do you really wanna go there this early in the set?" then a few songs later they ended up doing it. Dave told a joke that went something like, "why do mice have such small balls? because they don't like to dance" Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on that one. Oh... I get it now. Never mind. lol. No seriously, I JUST got that as I was typing it. haha.

At the end of Watcha Need, Dave threw his sunglasses down on the floor of the stage and one of the ear pieces and one of the lenses went flying, and he put them back on like that for a minute to be funny.

It seemed a bit short, closer to an hour and 15 than an hour and 30, but I can't blame them since it was almost 100 degrees. I'm just happy they got up and did it and put on a great show despite the weather.

I talked to Dave and Tommy afterwards. Tommy walked up to me and just gave me a big hug and told me he loved my shirt. He had a drink in his hand and I asked if I could have some and he was like, "No way!" haha.

Dave was great as always. We talked for a little bit and I got a hug right before he left and I thanked him for everything. I swear, Tommy and Dave are the two sweetest men God ever put on this earth.

I took a few pictures and maybe I'll post them when I get home. I wasn't really trying too hard since it's kinda difficult to take great pictures and enjoy the show at the same time. Plus, the really photogenic moments are always there and gone in a flash. Oh well.

This show had kind of a weird feel to it, but not in a bad way. There was alot of audience interaction and the crowd was small to begin with, so it kinda felt like they were playing in my backyard. Overall it was a fabulous show and I'm glad I had the chance to see it!

I was planning on going for a swim when I got back, but the hotel pool is over flowing for some reason so I alerted the maintence men. Oh well! I can't wait to get home from this incredible yet very LONG journey across the states.