New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Here is the official press release that we have all been waiting 6 years for (I just recently got off the phone with Wes and it is confirmed). :!:

Soul Asylum Signs with 429 Records and Readies Release of New Album "DELAYED REACTION" on July 17th
By 429 Records
Published: Monday, Mar. 26, 2012 - 3:10 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 26, 2012 -- SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Soul Asylum is back and newly signed with 429 Records, which will release their first album in six years, "DELAYED REACTION." This time around, the veteran band is energized with a re-calibrated lineup that includes founders Dave Pirner and Dan Murphy alongside ex-Replacements, ex-Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson (who replaced original member Karl Mueller who passed away in 2006) and former Prince drummer Michael Bland. "DELAYED REACTION," which was produced by the band and overseen by John Fields, bristles with the tightly wound, slightly ragged vibe that characterized the band when they emerged straight out of Minneapolis. The recording took place in various locations--beginning in Los Angeles and then relocating to New Orleans and Minneapolis and back to LA--each town giving the tracks a unique backdrop of local culture vibe. Soul Asylum will hit the road in support of the album which is filled with brilliantly passionate songs, perfectly suited to their electric live shows. "DELAYED REACTION" will be released on 429 Records on July 17th.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090208/LA67886LOGO)

Originally formed in 1983 in Minneapolis, MN, Soul Asylum has maintained their reputation for honest, heartfelt rock from their beginnings on scrappy local label Twin Tone (which concurrently nurtured the careers of seminal rockers the Replacements), through their commercially successful days on A&M and Columbia Records (where they scored a Grammy for the monster hit single "Runaway Train"). The band has persevered through the good times of garnering several platinum albums and accolades including a performance for the Presidential inauguration of Bill Clinton to enduring the personal tragedy of losing Karl Mueller to cancer six years ago.

Says Dave Pirner on the recording process: "It feels like approaching it as an album and a thing that has a sequence, and a thing that is a piece of work in itself is almost an archaic process… Honestly, it's more organic. Even though you're using some of this newer technology, the fact that you're doing it yourself is what made it take so long and the process unique, this time."

"DELAYED REACTION" Track Listing:

1. Gravity
2. Into The Light
3. The Streets
4. By The Way
5. Pipe Dream
6. Let's All Kill Each Other
7. Cruel Intentions
8. The Juice
9. Take Manhattan
10. I Should've Stayed In Bed

For more information, visit: http://www.429records.com

429 Records is a unit of The Savoy Label Group (SLG). SLG is the North American based division of Nippon Columbia the oldest music company in Japan. The Savoy Label Group has evolved into a Grammy Award winning and chart topping independent music company consistently outperforming competitors in key music categories as monitored by Billboard Magazine. The Savoy Label Group is led by Steve Vining and is based in Los Angeles, CA.

What's your opinions on the news?

(Also, at least for now (or around album release 7/17/12), please try to keep all new album information/comments to this thread, thanks.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by Closer »

Well, like I already mentioned in the other thread... it's going to be only 6 new songs (three that we've already heard), filled with some outtakes and B-sides from the last twenty years. The band must know that most of the real fans (and that's the only fans they have left) are already familiar with those songs, so I'm a bit puzzled why they put them on the album instead of coming up with something completely new. (I'm sure that they've had the time for that... *coughSIXYEARScough*) The track listing looks like some compilation album that bands usually bring out between two studio albums to give the fans something... I'm dissapointed.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Let's All Kill Each Other isn't even a very good song. It's not bad but it's kind of odd and was fun for like a week when it came out 3 1/2 years ago.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

It's a great song for a B-side and I don't get why they would include that one on an album... you almost get the feeling that they are out of inspiration, re-using so many old songs like this.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

well on a positive note, this link says states "Undoubtedly, the guys will include a Twin Cities gig in their summer tour plans"

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 49895.html

:)

Sorry, chalk another one up for thinking the tracking listing on the new cd is somewhat weak and a bit of a let down. That is unless the actual new songs on there are just mind blowing, then I may change my mind :roll:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Interesting. So what's happening June 5?

I would have liked to see Directions, Freak Accident, or some of the other early to mid 2000's live show songs (Hallowed Ground, True Believer) that didn't make it on the last cd make it on this one. Well, Cruel Intentions somewhat serves that need.

I actually really like Should Have Stayed in Bed and By the Way; while I have both, they weren't always easy to get.

I guess my take is: would have liked to see some other new songs, but I'm still planning to buy this anyway. :)

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Oh come on, that is not the album art. Please tell me they're fucking with us. That looks like something you'd find at one of those "try me" listening booths in New Age wellness center giftshops. You know, the kind with the headphones and push-buttons for samples. Really, if I saw this album and had no prior knowledge of who this band is or what their CD might sound like, I would think it was made for yoga studios or something.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Hummm?. Strange. Dave once said he leans toward more recent songs when working on an album. This is odd. I guess we all have our favourite "unreleased" songs we'd prefer, but I'll be optimistic that it will be really good since the band has been quite tight of late. Some inspired performances of those songs would suffice, but I was really expecting all NEW new songs. Still haven't heard this one and already can't wait for the next one :lol:

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

it is a little disappointing its not a full cd.but ill take it at least its something.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Oh good lord. I'm listening to Cruel Intentions for the first time and I'm just like... Really? This song sucks jazzy, velour-covered balls. If they're gonna phone it in like this and redo some old songs, why not do Directions or some other old song that's like, oh, you know, GOOD?

There has got to be more going on in Dave's brain than this. I have to imagine that he's got tons of awesome, half-baked songs lying around just waiting to get polished up and recorded, don't you?

I know the crappy track listing isn't going to make a difference to people who aren't big fans like us, but the majority of people who are going to buy this CD have most likely heard all those old songs before. I mean, if you can't impress your biggest fans, who can you impress?