Thoughts On the New Record From Dan Murphy

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Thoughts On the New Record From Dan Murphy

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I (Jim) was asked if I could post the following message written by Dan:

We laughed, we cried (not really... ), we finished when we damn well felt like it, and we made a new blazing Soul Asylum release. 10 tracks riddled with heartbreak, despair, twenty-twenty vision and swagger featuring loud guitars that are shamelessly in tune!! This is the most "in house" of any recording the band has undertaken in our long, currently approaching 15 year career (lol). The recording finds the fellas doing fine and ready to blaze a trail with Winston Roye in tow on bass guitar around the Boy Bands, Divas and revamped Hair Metal bands that are out paying the bills this summer. Hope to see you all out there soon - a heartfelt thanks for your support, you all have been better to us that we have been to ourselves and each other and for that we are lucky and grateful !!

Daniel D. Murphy
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

better late
Social Butterfly

Re: Thoughts On the New Record From Dan Murphy

Post by better late »

Thanks to Dan for a funny and touching message. And, thanks to Jim for passing it on.

(And thanks to Kevin Smith's Devils for kicking it out!)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Wow, that was cool of Dan to share and have Jim post.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

I am more than glad reading this message. Mostly because it is a direct contact between SA and us. I believe that this could happen more often. I really felt ''connected''!!!

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

I think I may be speaking for everyone when I say, Danny, THANK YOU!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

thanks dan!!! can't wait to see you guys in august, and to get the album...!!

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

yeah very cool.never thought the band would acknowledge this site.Dan's the coolest.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Dave had put together a message specifically for the site when Let's All Kill Each Other was released on the site (almost 4 years ago already). It's available to still look at under the News section (under Other Delights) of the site.

Here's what he had to say though:

"Ah yes, a joyous new anthem for every occasion. It really seems to connect, at least to the 7 people who have heard it so far. I suppose it requires a certain sense of humor. This, of course, is consistent with my tendency to overestimate the intelligence of our audience.

Over the last couple years of playing live, I've taken to introducing "Black Gold" & "Lately" as commentaries on the Bush Sr. & Jr. eras, respectively, as Parts 1 & 2 of a trilogy that I hoped I would never have to finish. This is Part 3.

Anyway, it's been a good summer. On behalf of the band, many thanks to you and anyone who has helped make it so. Your support, as always, is invaluable and humbling.

Let's all learn to live in peace and two or three-part harmony!

Good luck,

Dave Pirner"
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Just in case you are checking here for replies, Dan, I would like to say thank you to you and Dave for sticking it out for so long and continuing to play. I am so grateful to have had Soul Asylum as a soundtrack for almost all of your "15 years" haha. None of us are that old, right? 1985 is what, like 15 - 16 years ago? And you did a good thing getting Michael on board - he is awesome and is such an integral part of the band now. So looking forward to hearing what you've done on this new album - what I have heard so far sounds incredibly great! And so appreciative to have new Soul Asylum music and get to see live shows. Winston seems like he's having a good time and seems to fit in well! And so excited to have gotten to bring my 16 year old dog Owen and his younger sister Alice to see their first show! :) It's all he can talk about! haha

PS Don't forget about the punk covers album - we'll we looking for it!! Would love to see it come out on vinyl hint hint :)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Very cool. Thanks Dan!!!
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more