Delayed Reaction Forum User Reviews

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Delayed Reaction Forum User Reviews

Post by Monolith Maniac »

As we're doing with the Delayed Reaction article/interview thread, I would like to make this one specifically dedicated for forum member reviews, replies, and other related Delayed Reaction material. Not only will it make the forum "cleaner", but easier to come back to when we want to read, reference, or post something in it later on.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Delayed Reaction Forum User Reviews

Post by zany »

got my album today in the mail!!!! yay to best buy for getting it to me early :) listening now - and my 2 yr old started dancing to it so i joined in. we're having fun!
hoping to have some time later tonight to really listen.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

zany wrote:got my album today in the mail!!!! yay to best buy for getting it to me early :) listening now - and my 2 yr old started dancing to it so i joined in. we're having fun!
I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT IT TODAY :) .i wish i did.maybe ill get it tomorrow.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Downloaded the album the second it became available on itunes, just listened to it front to back. First reaction is that it's got a pretty sick throwback vibe to it, followed immediately by relief that it's an album and not a collection of rehashed B-sides. By The Way and I Should Have Stayed In Bed fit perfectly, and are remastered quite well. Gravity kicks things off with the frenetic energy that made Tied to the Tracks and Somebody to Shove such great openers, and flows effortlessly into Into the Light, which is... different. Not your typical Soul Asylum song, but it's good, it's refreshing, and it works. (And they KILL it live).

And then the energy ramps right back up with The Streets, which for me is the easy standout track after one listen. They really channeled some old school A&M era energy on that one, and it rules. Just a vintage Soul Asylum song. After By The Way, we get to the first unknown quantity on the album: Pipe Dream, which is a solid little number that absolutely belongs on this record.

Next comes Let's All Kill Each Other, which I played out so long ago and wrote off as a joke song that I expected to be skipping every play after my first run-through. That will not be the case. Closing out the first half of this record is exactly where this song should be. It's the perfect culmination of the energy that Side 19 is positively brimming with- a bombastic eargasm of everything that makes Soul Asylum in its current incarnation great.

Cruel Intentions falls kinda flat for me. I'm all for slowing things down, but I just don't get this song. Oh well. It's not Great Exaggerator bad, so f it, I'll take it, and it's gonna get ample opportunity to grow on me.

The Juice is a good-but-not-great song that is pleasant to listen to, and pretty relatable too. If I were going to write this song I don't think I would go the route that Dave did, but far be it from me to question the greatest songwriter (Great Exaggerator notwithstanding) of all time.

Take Manhattan is kinda hilarious, kinda dark, sonically pleasing, and 100% awesome. For me this song really brings things back on track, before closing with I Should Have Stayed In Bed, which sounds about a million times better than any unfinished version that I've heard before, and is a perfectly good cap to a fine record.

So yeah, that's my quick thoughts after one listen without really accounting for the lyrics too much. It's a very good record, certainly their most cohesive since LYDLS, and I think that kinda makes sense given the circumstances surrounding the last two. I wish it were longer, but I'm glad they didn't throw in anything that didn't fit.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Okay, so I know I will probably have a copy waiting for me when I get home this evening (by mail), but patience has never been one of my virtues. So...I stopped in at Best Buy on my way in to the office and bought a copy.

My favorite part so far? The "(thanks Jim)" for the website. Way cool!

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

I just listened through it once at work and I love it. The old stuff is awesome to hear redone, and the new stuff is great as well. Favorite track is probably Shoulda Stayed in Bed, that was my favorite song off that Runaway Train single and I like the revamped version. Can't wait for my appetizer tonight at the MOA before the 3 course meal this weekend! Viva La Soul Asylum!
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

matty
Marionette

Post by matty »

I've had it for a couple of weeks and i absolutely love it. My expectations were lowered when i learned it wasn't all new material, but after hearing it i think its a great collection of songs. Cruel Intentions is the only weak song in my opinion. The Streets in definetly my favorite, its a total fist pumper, i can't wait to hear it live again. I got the Best Buy cd in the mail yesterday, i really enjoy the two originals, Your Generation is just ok and Good Morning Good Morning is total crap, extremely poor sound quality and the arraingement is a mess.

As the years passed after Candy From A Stranger i really didn't think we'd be getting any new releases. The Silver Lining was an amazing surprise, and this is a nice follow up that we are lucky to have. I hope it sells well and they keep making new music :D

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

To correct myself, I loved By The Way from the RT single and I shoulda stayed in bed I believe is from the Palais Royale CD
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:
zany wrote:got my album today in the mail!!!! yay to best buy for getting it to me early :) listening now - and my 2 yr old started dancing to it so i joined in. we're having fun!
I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT IT TODAY :) .i wish i did.maybe ill get it tomorrow.

so, did you get it???
i was going to say that i'm tight with my mail carrier, but come to think of it, my son and i walked to the mailbox as the truck came by and my usual lady must be on vacation cuz there was a guy i didn't known who gave it to us.

benzo
Lone Rider

Post by benzo »

I also ordered it, but couldn't wait for it to come in the mail, so I picked it up. Also had to go to Best Buy to enter for my chance to win a SA t-shirt. Anyway, I thought the album was pretty good the first time through, and better the second. I LOVE the picture in the jewel case behind the cd, though.

Can't wait til Friday.....