2012 July 26th - Bowery Ballroom, NYC, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
jjohhny
Brand New Shine

Re: 2012 July 26th - Bowery Ballroom, NYC, NY

Post by jjohhny »

I have a couple of extras for the show. Face value is $20, will accept less to ensure that these go to a good home.
Message me or email me at odie918@gmail.com

turk196
Lone Rider

Post by turk196 »

Anyone know what time the band takes the stage tonight? I have to figure around 10pm? Looking forward to the show!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Show starts at 9pm according to ticket. There is an opening band, which I assume will play for 30-60 minutes.

I would guess SA takes the stage at 10:30-ish and the show ends at midnight-ish.

but, I'm just guessing.

matty
Marionette

Post by matty »

Doors 8pm
Show 9pm

Joseph Arthur just tweeted that he will be performing tonight with SA. Im assuming that means as an opening act, which would put SA onstage closer to 10.

If you aren't familiar with Joseph Arthur, he is an amazing singer-songwriter that is definetly worth checking out. I've seen him perform about a dozen times and he always blows me away, seeing him added to tonites show leaves me all sorts of excited....best day ever just got better...

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I called the box office earlier today (212-260-4700) and they said Soul Asylum is scheduled to go on right at 10:00PM.

I'm super stoked for the show! Also, the show is SOLD OUT according to:
http://www.boweryballroom.com/event/114147

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Can't wait for the show tonight!! I'm the English guy that has seen Soul Asylum quite regularly over here in the States but not for 19 months! & this is at the very same venue where I saw them for the very first time in Nov 2001!! I'm going to be wearing my black Soul Asylum First Ave T-shirt so if you see me say hi!!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I just got back to the hotel after the show.

I walked by the venue on the way to dinner and heard them soundchecking the Vic Chestnut song.

The setlist was roughly the same as recent shows. We had Marionette and Little to Clean for "old rare stuff." They opened up with the You Generation cover, and then Just Like Anyone. It was weird to hear Just Like Anyone at the beginning of the set and Somebody to Shove at the end.

They played a Suicide Commondo's song as part of the encore. It was their best cover of the night.

All in all, the set felt rough. Probably because they're still learning the new songs. I walked away from the show thinking that Silver Lining is a much stronger album; and makes a much better live show than Delayed Reaction. But, that could change once they get more comfortable with the songs.

Once I get back home I'll get my recording posted.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Soul Asylum:
Your Generation
Just Like Anyone
Marionette
Little Too Clean
Pipe Dream
Gravity
Take Manhattan
Black Gold
When I Ran Off and Left Her
By The Way
Love Will Tear Us Apart
The Streets
Into the Light
I Did My Best
Without a Trace
Runaway Train
Closer to the Stars
Somebody to Shove

Encore:
Misery / (Silly Love Songs)
Attacking The Beat
Shakin' Street
Stand Up and Be Strong

That includes nine songs I never heard them do live in an actual set before. That's awesome. Five full cover songs, which seems to be a little more than they done on past tours.

Joseph Arthur:
(Written list - no idea if this is the actual set or a suggested set)
Can't Exist
Slide Away
Devil's Broom
Hide
Cocaine Feet
Black Lexus
In the Sun
Travel
Invisible Hands
Out On a Limb
Zoo
Exhausted
Last edited by Yaz McBoo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

reboog711 wrote:All in all, the set felt rough. Probably because they're still learning the new songs. I walked away from the show thinking that Silver Lining is a much stronger album; and makes a much better live show than Delayed Reaction. But, that could change once they get more comfortable with the songs.
Wow, I had the complete opposite reaction! I've been to 50+ shows and this was one of my favorites. I thought the set list was dynamite and they were on fire. They really did a nice job mixing old and material and I think they paced the show exactly right. The crowd was also super into it. Sold out show, and more singing along than I've seen in a while.

I think the new material sounded great. Gravity has been a favorite of mine since they started playing it a couple of years ago, and I'm so glad they've worked out the kinks with The Streets, because I find that one irresistible. Also nice to hear "Take Manhattan." I saw them soundcheck it a couple of times in Florida, but they decided it was not ready at that time.

Great show, great venue, great night. Can't wait for the next one!
Attachments
Dave2.JPG
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

P.S. Susan was the guitar tech. Great to see her out there again, and all went smoothly -- as it always does when she's on the job.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden