Dave's Voice

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave's Voice

Post by AlyssaJones »

Well here's Into the Light from the Entry show two nights before and he doesn't sound like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY6KbgH0 ... QTtEsU5Dvg

I do hear what you're talking about in that video from St. Cloud, but that's a small portion of one show. Also bear in mind that it was the third concert night in a row. I don't deny what you're hearing, because that video you posted the link to is admittedly a bit...grating... but most of the time he sounds way stronger than that. I'm sure his voice gets tired sometimes, but overall he still sounds really good.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Okay, I listened to "Into the Light" at the link posted. I've heard many vocals that were hard to listen to, and that definitely is not one of them.

Sure, it's not the most outstanding vocal, but I think Celine Dion has the market on the perfect note.

He's got a great rock and roll voice, with a raspy softness that he uses well when it's called for.

Having just watched The Who in the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics, I'm reminded of something that Roger Daltrey was quoted as saying years ago. And, I'm quoting very loosely, "A bad note in the right place is always better than a good note in the wrong place." True then, true now.

Yes, my mind is filled with much of the same kind of information, doesn't really serve any everyday purpose, but every once in a while it's good to be able to pull it out of storage. :)

NJ Misery
Inmate

Post by NJ Misery »

The vocal production on the new album makes his voice sound different than we are used to hearing.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Dave and Danny sound great There is so much more depth and character in the vocals than what was there years ago. Miss karl, but how fun when MB sings too. Cruel intentions is liquid gold for vocals and organ(s)! :roll: sigh.