2012 Aug. 17th - Provident Bank Park, Pomona, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

2012 Aug. 17th - Provident Bank Park, Pomona, NY

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Friday, August 17th, 2012

Provident Bank Park
Pomona, New York

Showtime: 7:00 PM

http://www.rocklandboulders.com/ballpark/overview/
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 Aug. 17th - Provident Bank Park, Pomona, NY

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Setlist:

Gravity
Just Like Anyone
Misery
Pipe Dream
Into the Light
Black Gold
By the Way
Without a Trace
Runaway Train
Whatcha Need
Somebody to Shove
Your Generation
Stand Up and Be Strong

(Total time was about just under an hour).

Lots of jokes and dedications with baseball/regional themes. Misery was dedicated to the State of Missouri (as in, some say "Misery," some say "Missouri"); Runaway Train was the song that made Milwaukee famous; "I would say that that team is bold, but this team is bolder" (the name of the minor league baseball team that plays here is the Boulders); convoluted dedication of Without a Trace to Karl, who liked baseball but didn't really, liked sports but didn't really, but he did like lobsters and steak, as well as some other stuff that may not have been good for him; Whatcha Need (Dave needs a hot dog - do they got Boulder Dogs back there?); Stand Up and Be Strong had some meandering story about how hard it is for the band to get where they are - they were leaving Reno and their flight got cancelled so they had to drive all the way to Sacramento to get wherever they are today.

There were two local acts that preceded Soul Asylum; both played while we stood in the rain, and we were hoping SA would come on before it got worse. The rain actually stopped when they came on. Security made the rounds and told people to not take photos of any kind, that the band's manager specifically was the one who made that order.
Last edited by Yaz McBoo on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

marionette
Runaway

Post by marionette »

So when do we get to see your pics Yaz?

Sounds like a great set list if short. Festival? Thanks for putting up. with the rain. Like to see watcha need and Pipedreams. I need a hot dog too. I am loving that one and the glass houses. But ooh no Manhattan.... in NY?

Sure am loving the new album. Hope you are 2.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

No festival. Soul Asylum opened for Smash Mouth. (I just typo'd that and it was Smash Moth. That might be a more interesting name.) The first act was some young guy who played solo acoustic for about 20 minutes. The next act was a band and their set was cut short, due to the rain I suppose. There was minimal changeover time between sets thankfully, but still SA didn't come on til close to 8:30 and we had expected them at 7 or 7:30. I don't know why the promotions didn't announce the other acts beforehand.

This was the fewest people-per-space ratio of any show I have ever attended. Literally about a dozen of us were on the rail during the first two acts, with some friends/family of the openers behind us. More people probably stayed under the concourse and waited 'til SA to come on stage form them to come down to the field. When SA came on it was still the emptiest baseball stadium I have ever been in. There was maybe 150 people there, and that is a generous estimate and again includes friends and family of the opening acts. (Actually another band or two played on the concourse after the gates opened and before the 4 bands played on the main stage, so I guess it was like a festival, just not promoted that way.) I wonder what Soul Asylum all said when they got back to the bus after the show.

No pics from this show, see post above, photos were not allowed. I got 3 or 4 shots before being told to stop, and none of them are really good.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I came across this site which does have some pictures of the show.

http://newcity.patch.com/articles/photo ... o-11055837

Yeah, judging by some of the pictures it was a small crowd. :?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yeah, one photo guy had a press tag.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

This makes me wonder if there were more people at the Figgs show I caught in Albany on Friday after being encouraged to go by Judith, Phil, and Liz.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:This makes me wonder if there were more people at the Figgs show I caught in Albany on Friday after being encouraged to go by Judith, Phil, and Liz.
The Figgs' anniversary show was epic. But If it were possible to be in two places at once, I would have been.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden