The School Thread

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: The School Thread

Post by AlyssaJones »

Apparently my community college was evacuated today because they found a bedbug on somebody. I wasn't there at the time, but my friend says the entire building was evacuated and they're having an exterminator come in to assess the situation, and classes might even be canceled tomorrow. Oh boy...

and this over a bedbug. Not two, not three. A bedbug. :P

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Whew! All my exams for this year are done! Now for an evening of watching Dexter and eating unhealthy food, and then it's off to my parents' house for Christmas. Which reminds me: I need to put up the website's holiday decorations soon!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I just finished grading my student's last midterm of the semester (they don't have an exam), so my TA duties are done for the time being. Now just working on research and a ton of faculty position applications await me over the next few weeks.

Phil

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Arrgh. Exam for class stunk. 3 and 1/2 hours, how can you even be supposed to sit for that long let alone still be able to think at the end.

There is a time limit to the human attention span.

BTW speaking of programing, is there a way to spell check on the site?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Crawl: The browsers Firefox and Chrome (and possibly others) have built-in spell-checking, so I suggest using them.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Jakob, sorry idk what you mean by browsers Firefox and Chrome nor how to use them. You mean like copy and paste in and spell check, I know I can do that in word? you can pm me to tell me how since I am sure I already sound stupid enough!

jessy27
Stranger

Post by jessy27 »

I wish they would have let us out of school over a bedbug, the last time they closed down the school was when we got 2 feet of snow overnight. :)

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I thought I'd continue this thread, seeing as how I just completed my first few days of the new school year (teacher - not student). I go back to my other, part-time college gig his coming week; I'm actually going to be using some SA songs as part of my lessons; we'll see how it goes.

Any other teachers or students on here, or is it just me now?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I just started on my master's degree. The main difference is that most of my classmates are gone since they took only the bachelor's degree. Most of my closest friends remain, though, so I'll be okay. Two more years studying computer science and then I'll have to see about finding a job. Luckily, there are plenty of jobs for programmers so I'm not terribly worried about finding one. The real challenge seems to be coping with eight-hour workdays. ;)

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

The full-time job coupled with school is difficult; I was essentially doing that while student teaching, and it wasn't easy. The Master's level work is interesting; it seems simultaneously more difficult (coursework's more rigorous) and easier (it's your specialty).

I grumble about grading papers, but I enjoy the teaching part of it all. If I knew I could get a job at the end - and that I wouldn't end up in a mountain of debt for the rest of my life - I'd for sure go back for my doctorate. I'm totally a geek that way.