Dave Pirner

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
levybaxter
Runaway

Dave Pirner

Post by levybaxter »

I am very saddened by the departure of Dan Murphy from the band. Dan's message was very thought-provoking. I have read many of the heartfelt messages from the fans, both old and new. I would like to hear from Dave - his thoughts on Dan's departure, his fondest memories of Dan, and his vision for the future. I was wondering if other fans want to hear from Dave, or perhaps, Dave has chimed in but I missed the message. Thanks.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave Pirner

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I think this is it right here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1524

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

It would be interesting to hear how he feels but I doubt that we will find out... this is not a band (or should I say was a band) that communicated a lot. Maybe he'll be asked in an interview some day, but that will be it, and even then I doubt that we will get to hear a lot. Personally I thought that the message "Soul Asylum" posted sounds very formal... kinda like when an employee leaves the company after a few years, but then again... that's just my opinion... I think it was merely a way to let people know that they are still doing shows under the name Soul Asylum.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I'm sure a part of Dave has died over this though I have to wonder if Dan simply got sick of Dave's shit. Like I posted on another topic recently, Dave seems very occupied with Michael and perhaps took Dan for granted. In a recent interview, Dave mentioned something about sending some music to Dan that Dan didn't like. A few minutes later, he said "I do whatever the fuck I want" and at some other point said "I am Soul Asylum. I mean, I write all of the music" so I think that attitude could have been a factor. I'm not saying that Dave isn't the frontman, singer, songwriter of Soul Asylum but if you are a band, you are a band. Maybe he should just be Dave Pirner since he seems to think they are interchangeable, not to be snarky.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Dave4Prez wrote:I'm sure a part of Dave has died over this though I have to wonder if Dan simply got sick of Dave's shit. Like I posted on another topic recently, Dave seems very occupied with Michael and perhaps took Dan for granted. In a recent interview, Dave mentioned something about sending some music to Dan that Dan didn't like. A few minutes later, he said "I do whatever the fuck I want" and at some other point said "I am Soul Asylum. I mean, I write all of the music" so I think that attitude could have been a factor. I'm not saying that Dave isn't the frontman, singer, songwriter of Soul Asylum but if you are a band, you are a band. Maybe he should just be Dave Pirner since he seems to think they are interchangeable, not to be snarky.
Oh and the message from "Soul Asylum" rather than Dave was totally impersonal and sucked in my humble opinion.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Dave4Prez wrote:and at some other point said "I am Soul Asylum. I mean, I write all of the music"
For real? Is that interview online?

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Come on, let's not make Dave the villain here. Dave has had more than his share of that from the media and other detractors over the years.

There is a universe of information that we don't know, that we can never know. Think about how angry people were that SA was taking so long to say something. People were accusing them of irresponsibility, mistreating the fans, etc. And yet now we all know that it was because they were finalizing legal documents. When someone leaves a band, there's a lot to work out in terms of rights, etc. And they communicated as soon as it was all finalized.

Remarks can sound very different out of context and without a person's inflections and delivery. I was struck by Dave's effusive praise about Michael in that interview too, but I didn't take it as a slight against Danny; rather, an appreciation of Michael's talent and contributions to the band, as well as an attempt to reinforce the fact that Michael is a key part of Soul Asylum despite the fact that he is not a founding member. As far as the remark that he is Soul Asylum and writes all the music, if I remember correctly, that was in the context of discussing what makes something a SA song. He was basically making the point (which he has done before) that since he writes most of the songs, you would think that if he wrote something, it would be a SA song, but that's not always the case. And he has repeatedly given Dan the credit for being the "quality control" regarding which songs will work.

Maybe Dave isn't saying anything about the split for personal reaons. Maybe he isn't saying anything for legal reaons. Who knows? He deserves the benefit of the doubt. Dave has given the world 31 years of music, written dozens of extaordinary songs, given 110% at almost every single performance, donated his time and talent to numerous benefits, and made a point of coming out and talking to fans at most shows. And yet he has drawn a disproportionate amount of criticism over the years -- including presumptions about his personal life and motivation. For some reason, he's one of those people who elicits both adoration and villification.

In my opinion, the barbs he has endured from his detractors are unfair and undeserved. From SA fans to whom he has given so much, they're unfathomable.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

WTF? Dan leaves the band and Dave gets the backlash?

We could all do our own speculation...but, come on...the notion that Dan left the band after all these years cause Dave liked Michael better...that's too childish to even speculate.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Agreed Miss Fit! These are two people who have known each other since they were practically youngsters, spent the better part of the '80's and early '90's in a van together. Friends, business partners and band mates. So much has gone on with these guys through the years that only they know. The fact that they stuck it out together for 31 years together and Dan is leaving noting the respect he has for Dave and the band - that speaks volumes. Maybe he'll write us a volume in his spare time now that he won't be on the road so much. Hint hint. : )

Dave will tell the world what he wants when he wants. They don't really owe us anything and yet have given us so much. They are just people after all. I'm sure this is way harder on them that it is on us. This has been their life!

I love them both and respect their decisions! Obviously not decisions made lightly!

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

lucy wrote:Agreed Miss Fit! These are two people who have known each other since they were practically youngsters, spent the better part of the '80's and early '90's in a van together. Friends, business partners and band mates. So much has gone on with these guys through the years that only they know. The fact that they stuck it out together for 31 years together and Dan is leaving noting the respect he has for Dave and the band - that speaks volumes. Maybe he'll write us a volume in his spare time now that he won't be on the road so much. Hint hint. : )

Dave will tell the world what he wants when he wants. They don't really owe us anything and yet have given us so much. They are just people after all. I'm sure this is way harder on them that it is on us. This has been their life!

I love them both and respect their decisions! Obviously not decisions made lightly!
i was going to post something but you said it all.some people sometimes want more and more.i doubt anyone would say those things to Daves face.just appreciate what they have given us i cant stand all the Dave bashing.