What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

The song I skip the most is "Stand up and be Strong". I understand how it has that anthem vibe to it and a positive note, but I think it was a bad choice for a first and only single. I chose "Lately" but ask me tomorrow and I might say "Oxygen".

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

What, no one else for Slowly Rising?? The live version is better though. But on the album version you get a two for one with Fearless Leader. Does that count as a vote for Fearless Leader too since it's "hidden" in Slowly Rising?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lucy wrote:What, no one else for Slowly Rising?? The live version is better though. But on the album version you get a two for one with Fearless Leader. Does that count as a vote for Fearless Leader too since it's "hidden" in Slowly Rising?
I was also kind of surprised slowly got so few votes. It's such an awesome song. I've always loved it a lot, and it makes me think of Karl. My only issue with the album version is that there isn't enough bass on it. The song is such a powerful one, and so much fun to hear, especially live.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I think it's really fun to see that most songs have already received at least one vote. It really goes to show how much this album has to offer. (I'm surprised that Whatcha Need still hasn't been voted for, though; it's my second choice after Standing Water!)
Lucy wrote:But on the album version you get a two for one with Fearless Leader. Does that count as a vote for Fearless Leader too since it's "hidden" in Slowly Rising?
It would make sense, but then you'd also have to take into account two minutes of silence—not much fun to listen to. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Yaz McBoo wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:Definitely not one bad song on the album in my opinion .
Not even Good For You or the Great Exaggerator? They are defintely skips on my end. Standing Water isn't that bad once it gets going, but someone here rightly pointed out that it could be a Coors Light jingle. Swap those for Freak Accident and Directions, and the album becomes A+ for me.

-Rob
Of course there are songs I really like over others. I'll skip over Good For You, The Great Exaggerator, and Success Is Not So Sweet time to time (probably cause they're a little slower) but no way do I think they're bad songs. I'll definitely agree though if Directions, Freak Accident, and Showtime were swapped (or even better added to the album), it would make this album even better (IMHO).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Initially, "Lately" was my fave, (and that's how I voted) but "Oxygen" and "All Is Well" seem to be more of what I'm in the mood for recently. I can't believe that no one has voted for "Stand Up and Be Strong"...I really like that one too...but I'm perhaps a bit prejudiced because my daughter was onstage for that one when they played live (and she sings ALL the lyrics to EVERY song and shushes her mother when I join in). She would choose either "Stand Up..." or "All is Well". My husband loves "Fearless Leader" but hates having to access it through "Slowly Rising".

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

g8trcarol wrote:Initially, "Lately" was my fave, (and that's how I voted) but "Oxygen" and "All Is Well" seem to be more of what I'm in the mood for recently. I can't believe that no one has voted for "Stand Up and Be Strong"...I really like that one too...but I'm perhaps a bit prejudiced because my daughter was onstage for that one when they played live (and she sings ALL the lyrics to EVERY song and shushes her mother when I join in). She would choose either "Stand Up..." or "All is Well". My husband loves "Fearless Leader" but hates having to access it through "Slowly Rising".
I think the thing with Stand Up and Be Strong isn't that it isn't a good song. in fact, it's a great song, and I imagine most of us would rate it to be one of our favorites from the album. The thing with it is that it really isn't a favorite song. With such a variety of songs, it's hard to choose a favorite song, and almost no one agrees on a favorite. It really comes down to the problems with winner take all systems when there are more than two choices. The most representative choice of everyone involved might not get a single vote, just because it's nobodys absolute favorite.

Of course, I'm sure, especially with how many people have played or sang on it, that others think that is their favorite.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

philipgar wrote:It really comes down to the problems with winner take all systems when there are more than two choices. The most representative choice of everyone involved might not get a single vote, just because it's nobodys absolute favorite.
Agreed. I once ran a pseudo-poll on a Red Hot Chili Peppers forum where each member would give 5 points to his favorite album, 3 points to his second favorite, and 1 point to his third favorite. (It was a pseudo-poll in the sense that I had to manually tally all of the votes.) There's definitely a point to using a system like this, and I may do something similar on here in the future.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i switched favorites a lot when i first got the disc...i couldnt in any way pick a favorite because i loved way too much of it...the only one i really really dont like is "good for you" and it just refuses to grow on me, although the orange juice line made it's way into the vocabulary of my then workplace. any time anyone said anything was good for anyone or anything someone unfailingly piped in with "just like orange juice!"
the kids there tell me that's still going on to this day.

but anyway whatever my solid favorite now, because i no longer switch around, is whatcha need. i love that song.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Definitely "All is Well" since it perks me up instantly no matter what mood I'm in. I also love "Whatcha Need" and "Good for You" (although I thtink I'm in the minority with Good for You. I skip "Standing Water" almost every time.

Tracy