What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

Somebody To Shove
14%
Black Gold
3%
Runaway Train
15%
Keep It Up
3%
Homesick
7%
Get On Out
2%
New World
2%
April Fool
8%
Without A Trace
31%
Growing Into You
3%
99%
7%
The Sun Maid
5%

Total votes: 59

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

This poll is a little overdue, but here it is now, anyway. It's time to vote for the songs on Soul Asylum's breakthrough album and no doubt most well-known record: Grave Dancers Union.

My vote: Runaway Train.

Edit: I just realized that my vote must seem kind of odd, given my name. ;) Suffice to say that Homesick is definitely one of my favorites on GDU. It's got somewhat of a unique quality that makes it difficult to compare to other songs, though. Even then, Runaway Train is in my fact my number one choice on this album.
Last edited by Homesick on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'd have to definitely go with Runaway Train. It's the song that got me into the band. As much as I like the song, its probably my least favorite of the 4 singles off of GDU when the song is performed live. Somebody To Shove probably wins that one.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Without a Trace.

RT did introduce me to the band, but there are many times when the big single is not my favorite song off a cd.

RT or Homesick would probably be next, especially if I am feeling sad and want to wallow awhile.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Without a Trace.

RT did introduce me to the band, but there are many times when the big single is not my favorite song off a cd.

RT or Homesick would probably be next, especially if I am feeling sad and want to wallow awhile.
I also had to go with Without a Trace. It's a great song, and the intro always makes me think of an old "friend" of mine. All around it's a really great song. I also think the song is just a great catchy tune, that's fun to listen to. Also the video is always really cool.

If I had to choose a second favorite, It would be either New World or The Sun Maid. Both are really great songs.

As for RT, I guess I've heard it live so many times I can take it or leave it. Also it wasn't my first SA memory, so it doesn't have that going for me, and I get really sick of everyone going "soul asylum... don't they have that train song".

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Without a Trace.

I was a little torn, because Somebody to Shove is pretty high with me, and it's without a doubt my favorite VIDEO they've done, but "...standing in the sun with a popsicle..."

No contest.

I've never really been a Runaway Train fan. I didn't loath it, the way my roomate at the time did, or the way my current roomate does, but I didn't really like it either. I was indifferent to it for a while, and then sick of it for a long while, and I'd still rather hear them do pretty much anything else live. I always feel like RT was a few minutes of show that could have been better spent.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I have to admit; I am really surprised that anyone picked runaway train as their favorite song, just out of principle if nothing else. Whenever they played this song in concert; it was a great opportunity to grab a beer or use the restroom. However; I have come arouind and appreciate it more now than when it came out.

I; personally think that Hang Time, "Horses", "LYDLS" and "TSL", are all better cd's top to bottom than "GDU."

I picked the opening song; however, as my favorite. Absolutely love the opening guitar riff. It's pretty cool when my four year old daughter "plays" on her "Princeess Piano" and starts uttering the words "Grandfather watches the grandfather clock, and the phone hasn't rang for so long..." into the microphone. It makes a dad proud!!
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Sometime to Return wrote:I am really surprised that anyone picked runaway train as their favorite song
I'd be lying if I said that Runaway Train is still as good as when I first heard it, but it is without a doubt one of my most cherished musical memories and it is still a song that I heartily recommend to people as the best example of Soul Asylum, especially when it's accompanied by the video.

Obviously, Homesick is another favorite of mine on GDU. New World and Somebody To Shove rank near the top as well. Conversely, I don't care too much for neither Growing Into You nor Get On Out.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

At the risk of sounding overly inquisitive, I'd really like to know who voted for New World. It's a brilliant song, and I feel that it represents a rare sound that does appear in a few other places in Soul Asylum's discography, but not many. If you're reading this: What are some of your other favorite songs by the band? I'm curious to see if they're the ones that I would consider similar to New World.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

'twasn't I Jake...but I did have a heck of a time deciding between RT (first song to get me hooked on SA) and Black Gold (which I've come to love and appreciate. If these two weren't on the list, it would be a toss-up between Without a Trace and Somebody to Shove.

derickson
Marionette

Post by derickson »

I had to go with Homesick.

Somebody to shove was the first one I heard off of this album, and is a great live song, but Homesick always strikes deeper then the rest...

RT and BG are good songs, and I love that they finally got Soul Asylum the attention the deserved, but they aren't my favs.

Thats what is great about music, every song means something different to each of us!!