2013 Sept. 28th - The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville, CT

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

2013 Sept. 28th - The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville, CT

Post by Yaz McBoo »

2013 September 28 - The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville, CT

Set:
Oxygen
I Will Still Be Laughing
Little Too Clean
Marionette
Misery / (Silly Love Songs)
Gravity
Into the Light
My Best Friend's Girl
The Streets
Can't Even Tell
Without a Trace
The Juice
Black Gold
Rhinestone Cowboy
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer to the Stars
Somebody to Shove
Just Like Anyone

Encore:
Leave This Town
April Fool

Soundcheck:
Into My Arms
String of Pearls
Leave This Town
Your Generation
Shakin' Street
Whatcha' Need
I Did My Best
The Juice
Can't Even Tell

My Best Friend's Girl was played after Dave noticed a guy in the crowd wearing a Cars t-shirt. Winston started off on lead vocals, Dave took over and finished the song.

Rhinestone Cowboy: "This is what it's like being in this band, it's like a bunch of guys in metal shirts asking for Glenn Campbell songs."

String of Pearls was on the printed setlist to start the encore, but they didn't have enough time to play it.

The usual great time was had by all in attendance though we had a smaller crew of regulars this time. See alls y'all next year.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 September 28 -The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville

Post by reboog711 »

That is a longer soundcheck than I would have expected; I almost wish I showed up for it.

I'll get my recording up sometime later. Based on the listen in the car; I think it is the best quality SA recording I've made.

My random, scattered thoughts on the show:

This was my first time seeing the "Dan-less" band and I have mixed feelings about it. Some songs sounded great--I thought 'The Juice' was a standout performance.

Other songs sounded off to me. Little Too Clean felt really out of place from the rest of the set; although I think it actually sounded tighter than when they last played it. Black Gold started off sloppy; but the 'solo/breakdown' piece sounded really good. Runaway train sounded slightly different to me.

I think it is the first time I've seen Dave play guitar on Rhinestone Cowboy; usually he ditches the guitar.

This is the first time I've seen a bunch of the songs live including I Will Still be Laughing, Can't Even Tell; Leave this Town; and April Fool. ( and Best Friend's Girl)

At some point, someone screamed out a request and Dave said "You missed that tour." Then said "how much did you pay to get in; oh I Guess we're not taking requests". I thought the request was 99%; but it could have been April Fool [or something completely different].

Justin looked awkward on stage. If the new band is trying to prove themselves; I think they did better on the newer songs than on the older songs.

Trading String of Pearl's for Best Friend's Girl and Rhinestone Cowboy is a pretty good trade.

My big "Surprise" was that they didn't play Stand up and Be Strong or Lately.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

The requested song was Homesick. They didn't do Stand Up and Be Strong on the winter tour either - I guess they are giving it a rest after so many years. I too have taken a recent, live, liking to The Juice. I didn't like it on the album.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Yaz McBoo wrote: String of Pearls was on the printed setlist to start the encore, but they didn't have enough time to play it..
Actually, he gave the audience a choice. He said something like, "Do you want to hear the long story song or the hard rocking one that we rarely play?"

The audience chose wisely. :-)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I thought the show was outstanding. and the band sounded incredibly tight . They've clearly put a lot of work into getting ready for this tour.

I was thrilled with the set list and thought it was one of the hardest rocking shows I've seen in a while, with the new songs and the old songs complementing each other really well.

The cover songs were really refreshing, too. Their covers are always good, but sometimes they leave them in the set too long and they grow a little stale. But "Rhinestone Cowboy" is always a treat, and "My Best Friend's Girl" was spontaneity at its best. Even though they were doing it for fun, they actually sounded really good. And the sound check was a total treat -- like a second mini-concert, with mostly different material.

As much as I love and miss Danny, I'm really happy with the new formation. They have an energy and a camaraderie that's been missing in recent years. I left that show eager for the next one.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

ArmyKat
Inmate

Re: 2013 Sept. 28th - The Wolf Den, Mohegan Sun, Uncasville,

Post by ArmyKat »

Yaz McBoo wrote:
See alls y'all next year.
Ha! Thanks for the chuckle, Rob. It was great to see (most of) the gang again!

I concur, it was a great show. Great energy and some unexpected song choices. It's my 4th time seeing the "new" lineup. It's been said before -- Justin brings a different sound and energy to the band. He's not trying to be Dan, which I appreciate. He seems a little shy, but definitely engaged with the crowd and gives it all onstage.

Mohegan Sun 2014!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I haven't had a chance ti edit this yet, but here is a wav file of the concert:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... 130929.zip

I'll get some mp3s up at some future point.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

thanks for the download link! In comparing the posted set list versus what was played and I am not hearing "The Streets" as being played, anywhere. Not complaining but guessing that is just a typo and/or on the set list but not played?

Anyway, keep the reviews etc coming, mucho appreciated!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

The Streets was definitely played, right where it is listed in the setlist.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

oops, my mistake and you are correct!

Carry on
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.