2013 Oct. 5th - Webster Hall, New York City, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

2013 Oct. 5th - Webster Hall, New York City, NY

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Hi everyone,

Well, this was a weekend show, so I could make it! It was a good show but Dave's vocals were VERY low in the mix, making it difficult to hear the words. Also, I could FEEL Michael's drums, I think my throat was vibrating a few times!

The guys walked onstage to the Rocky theme, with Dave throwing some air punches. He introduced Kim, who in turn introduced the band.

Stand Up and Be Strong
Just Like Anyone
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Lately

Oxygen--very long intro, it looked like Dave was trying to adjust a guitar pedal

Whatcha Need--the audience needs an ice cold beer, couldn't hear the rest of Michael's list

Black Gold-Dave said that the Partridge Family's song "Get Happy" briefly went through his head and that this song updates itself as it's about blood and oil.

Without a Trace-Dave pointed to the Karl drum kit and asked the audience if we knew who that man was, those who did shouted "Karl!" Dave said that there was a chip on Karl's head, but there was never one on his shoulder. Michael provided a rim shot after that joke.

Leave This Town--"One you don't hear every day"
Gravity-"This is! The First song! On the new album!"
The Streets
I Will Still Be Laughing
Can't Even Tell--dedicated to Jay and Silent Bob
Runaway Train
Somebody to Shove
April Fool

Nice to see some of the fellow regular fans at the show! I enjoyed Fountains of Wayne too. My sister enjoyed the show too.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: October 5, Webster Hall

One more thing: As my sister Erin and I were walking up to Webster Hall, we saw a line of young girls--maybe early 20s. I asked if they were in line for the concert. One girl said, "yeah, but not for Soul Asylum"--she said SA in the same one would say "dentist appointment" or "insert name of band you think really sucks here." The girl then said, "we're here for THEO!"

No clue who Theo is, but apparently us SA fans weren't cool enough for him. :roll:

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

As always, Soul Asylum totally rocked the place! I never look to say negative things but Evan Dando was a complete bore (he looked and sang like he was falling asleep) and Fountains of Wayne were good, but when you follow a band like Soul Asylum and a frontman like Dave Pirner, you'll never seem great.

I do agree that the sound was awful. How does this even happen? How does a sound man not notice this? Dave's vocals were low and the bass and drums were so loud at times that I felt them vibrating my chest.

Either way, they put on an energetic and fun show as always!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Webster Hall has sounded like that at every show I've been to. Very bassy. For many reasons it is the suckiest place in NYC to see a show. If it's a quiet show, you can hear the dance club downstairs. And as soon as the show is over, they start kicking people out ASAP as the main venue turns into a dance club too. Maybe Theo was the late show. Among the places I've been to more than once, I'd much rather see a show at Bowery, or Irving Plaza (which doesn't seem to book anyone I like anymore).

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I love Bowery shows as well, Yaz; they generally handle sound problems within the first song, and the size of the place contributes to a great vibe. (I'm also a fan of management.). Too bad about the WH problems - you'd think such a well-known venue would have more of a handle on their sound.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

The only other band I'd seen at Webster Hall before last night was the Jayhawks. That show didn't seem to have sound problems, but they are a quieter band than SA. I also noticed that Fountains of Wayne's vocals were low in their mix, but not as severe a difference as for SA. Maybe that was because some of their songs were not as loud as SA's.