Anticipating the New Album

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Anticipating the New Album

Post by Asylunt »

So with the site revamped and some photos and info leaking from the studio via Justin about the new album, and it looks like the new album should have a release within the first half of 2014, or at least sometime this new year, thought we could get started with our discussion of what this new album might entail or mean.

For me, I am embracing this new lineup a lot. It was sad to see Dan depart, but at the same time, I think I could feel that Dan wasn't feeling it the same as he once was. Tommy was a very fun Replacement(pun intended) for a short time, but I feel Winston and Justin are very talented musicians with the right amount of stage presence to compliment Dave and Michael. I love the three guys backing Dave at the moment and I don't care that they are continuing on under the SA name. I enjoy the youth and connectedness that Justin brings to the group. Justin seems committed to promoting and sharing the goings on of Soul Asylum to us the fans and that is a nice turn from the Studio backed web presence we saw out of them. As much as I loved the ETSA site being the placeholder for the SA domain, I feared it marked the end years of the band promoting itself and embracing the power of a self propelled presence online. Now I feel things are getting flushed out and we can expect a more polished and connected Soul Asylum.

One thing I really enjoy is that Soul Asylum seems to be a small entity again as far as having a tight road crew that feels like a family run small business, instead of the large machine that we saw in the 90's. I know the crowds may have been disappointingly small for a few of the shows over the last couple years and they were doing things like Playing the MOA to promote DR, but I enjoyed following them through this transition. I would love to see more Entry shows as well as maybe playing places like the Triple Rock here in MPLS.

Now as far as the new album goes. I feel that Dave has at his disposal some great musicians that seem to enjoy what they are doing and that are behind the band wholeheartedly. I think we can all agree that while Delayed Reaction is a great album that has all good tracks, we know that some of that was 20+ year old material. I feel that the direction this new album could go, may be the freshest one we have heard from Dave and Co. for some time, possibly since CFAS. I'm highly anticipating it and can't wait to give it it's first spin on the ol' turntable. The musicians seem technically tight, and the spread of songs they are playing these days is just great. Justin sounds great playing the old tracks and filling Danny's shoes, and I can't wait to see him really shine on some new tracks.

I hope to hear some new tracks played live soon and I am eagerly awaiting a new chapter in the Soul Asylum book.

Possible Tracks on the new album so far:

Change of Fortune(taken from a title of a file in one of Justin's pics of the studio work)

What are your thoughts?
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Anticipating the New Album

Post by AlyssaJones »

I'm excited about everything too. Justin seems like a really great, really hardworking guy and he's behind this 100%. I don't even care what they call it...Soul Asylum, the Dave Pirner Project... as long as we get to see Dave out there doing his thing, I'm happy, and Justin is the perfect person for him to do it with.

I thought Delayed Reaction was pretty good when it came out, but upon review, it's kind of a stinker. I love the new tracks that are on it, but all the old shit is a snooze fest. (And don't get me started on "The Juice".) So, I feel like the upcoming one is the make-up test of sorts. It took six years to get DR together, but less than a year and a half for this. (Justin's been with the band for a year and three months). It should be all new material, and anything along the lines of Gravity, The Streets, and Pipe Dream is going to be great.

I also like the casualness of this album's announcement. No official announcement, no two-year wait, just "yeah, we're working on an album, it should be out next year." Very unceremonious and I like it.

As crummy as DR is, I'm still glad that it brought about the two-night release party because those were the best two days/nights of my life, and it was the last time I ever saw Dan, so if there had to be a last one, I'm glad it was that.

I'm very excited for everything to come in 2014, and I hope to be seeing lots of you lovely people at shows very soon!!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

For me it's not really Soul Asylum anymore, but I'll keep checking out what Dave Pirner does musically because I'm a fan. I found Delayed Reaction to be very disappointing. Not only because of all the old material, but even the newer songs didn't do it for me. Not that I considered them as bad, I just thought it all sounded a bit average, and it's the first time in their long career that I felt that way about a SA album. So I'm definitely looking forward to a new album and curious to hear how it's going to sound like without Dan. It does seem that he is happy with the new line up and that there's a different vibe going on, so hopefully that will give him the energy and inspiration to come up with some really good tunes again.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I'm also enjoying the new line-up. They've got a very talented group of guys there. Of course I miss Dan, but if he wasn't happy anymore, I'm glad he's doing what he wants to be doing.

As far as a new record is concerned, I love the Soul Asylum sound (wouldn't be posting here if I didn't) but I also enjoy it when they take risks too. I enjoy Dave's songwriting that is a little more "out there" weird. I wouldn't mind getting a few of those on the new record. But I'm just happy a new record is coming out and happy that Dave is still doing the job he loves. I feel lucky to have gotten to see them as many times as I did in the last year.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Asylunt wrote: For me, I am embracing this new lineup a lot. It was sad to see Dan depart, but at the same time, I think I could feel that Dan wasn't feeling it the same as he once was. Tommy was a very fun Replacement(pun intended) for a short time, but I feel Winston and Justin are very talented musicians with the right amount of stage presence to compliment Dave and Michael. I love the three guys backing Dave at the moment and I don't care that they are continuing on under the SA name. I enjoy the youth and connectedness that Justin brings to the group. Justin seems committed to promoting and sharing the goings on of Soul Asylum to us the fans and that is a nice turn from the Studio backed web presence we saw out of them. As much as I loved the ETSA site being the placeholder for the SA domain, I feared it marked the end years of the band promoting itself and embracing the power of a self propelled presence online. Now I feel things are getting flushed out and we can expect a more polished and connected Soul Asylum.

Now as far as the new album goes. I feel that Dave has at his disposal some great musicians that seem to enjoy what they are doing and that are behind the band wholeheartedly. I think we can all agree that while Delayed Reaction is a great album that has all good tracks, we know that some of that was 20+ year old material. I feel that the direction this new album could go, may be the freshest one we have heard from Dave and Co. for some time, possibly since CFAS. I'm highly anticipating it and can't wait to give it it's first spin on the ol' turntable. The musicians seem technically tight, and the spread of songs they are playing these days is just great. Justin sounds great playing the old tracks and filling Danny's shoes, and I can't wait to see him really shine on some new tracks.

I agree so much! Can't wait for the new album and upcoming tour. SA actually touring regularly again in itself is enough to make me one extremely happy, excited (though unfairly impatient) fan. And a new album too?!!? Perfect :)

I was really sad when Dan quit and figured that was the end of SA. But then...it wasn't! It's like the band has new life now. I know some fans can't get past Dave being the only original member left and don't feel he should have continued with the name or whatever. And from a nostalgic point of view, I guess I understand. But still, I hope fans are willing to give the new line up a fair chance. The setlists for this last tour were just awesome, the band really seems to fit like they've always been together, the shows were just so much fun and well...there's Dave :)

FWIW I really like Delayed Reaction and still listen to it regularly. But it will be really cool to have new album that has material that really is new for sure.